What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New vert build.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I would shoot for about six inches short of the top. Blue Dream fills in good for me, but I dont know what it is crossed with or how it will react.

My blue dream only strain puts on about 8 to 10 inches during stretch. But as it fills in it will lean toward the light. If it does not you can bend it down and pin it back to the screen.

I can not say for sure what yours will do but you can always trim it back if it is to full. You cant make it fill in any more than it will. So error on the to much side.

gr866

Veteran
Happy Hump Day Y'all 4/20/16!

And Happy 420 Y'all!

To sort of quote a line from a great movie.

I love the smell of "Exodus Cheese" in the morning!

It's a quiz!

What movie, what actor and what was the original line?

The winner get's nothing but a big smile on their face.

GR

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Duvall Patrick as the colonel in the surfing seen in Apocalypse Now.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Smells like victory.

He said it right after they cleared the woods line with napalm of mortars.

Did you see how the waves break both ways? You could have two surfers one breaking right and one left at the same time.

gr866

Veteran
And that is the reason for the airstrike, so they could surf that beach.

Just picturing Duval standing on that beach being shot at by the VC, his aid freaking out and then he calls in the air strike.

Good Job Iccy

Speed of green

Thanks Ich, i will give it another week or two.

in regards to using Jacks + calnit.

i fill my res with R/o (20 gal) 0ppm 6.3ph

add jacks until 360ppm, this turned out to be 3 teaspoons, i let it bubble and mix for 15 minutes to be sure everything was dissolved.

add calnit to 600ppm, this turned out to be 3 teaspoons as well

At this point i let the mix bubble for 1/2 hour.

i come back to check the ph, & it is sitting at 5.3ph

Normally i would just add ph up to 5.8 like any other nutrient and not even think about it, however i have read multiple post from D9 & others saying that their ph runs mid 5's @ 600ppm and they do not adjust it at all.

Should i adjust the ph and not worry about it? or should i not adjust it and let the jacks work its magic.

also while on this subject i have read about ppm meters and their scale, I now realize that ppm can be a vague term unless you know what scale you are referring to.

My meter has a button for ms/cm, do you know if this is the same as EC? If this is the case then ill ditch the ppm all together and use the ms/cm.

My meter says the conversion factor is .65 in the specs, model MW802. Does this mean that my scale is 650? i know that the two common scales are 500 & 700 so its kind of confusing.

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/MW802.html

Thanks and apologies if these questions have been answered before.

Miraculous Meds

also while on this subject i have read about ppm meters and their scale, I now realize that ppm can be a vague term unless you know what scale you are referring to.

My meter says the conversion factor is .65 in the specs, model MW802. Does this mean that my scale is 650? i know that the two common scales are 500 & 700 so its kind of confusing.

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/MW802.html

Thanks and apologies if these questions have been answered before.

Heres how it works. for example I have a meter that is .5 conversion, so 1ec = 500ppm, or 1.2ec = 600ppm. I also have a .7 conversion, so 1ec = 700ppm, or 1.2ec = 840ppm. Urs at .65 conversion is 1ec = 650ppm, or 1.2ec = 780ppm. (.1ec = 65ppm for ur meter)

As u can see now based on conversion factors, the same nutrient strength in ec can give a different ppm number depending on the conversion factor the company uses. So ur 780ppm is the same strength as my .5 conversion at 600ppm.

Speed of green

Meds - Thanks for that explanation. made a lot of sense.

Im having this curl happen on the tops of a couple plants.

I didn't think the light got too close but maybe thats it?

any ideas?

temp 81-83f
rh 45%
nutes - Jacks + calnit @ 1.0 ec
ph @ 5.8

lights are on 24/7

picture.php

Miraculous Meds

ec n ph are on point. The rh is real low for that temp. Should be up around 70%. Get that fixed n see if it doesn't straighten out.

Its always a good idea to look for pests too. Look thru a 60 to 100x scope around the leaf veins n petioles up top for mites, and after u water the pots, look really closely by eye around the rim of the pot n the surface of the medium for ra's.

My best guess though is light/heat stress, vpd, and low rh.

Speed of green

Dammit, bonehead move on my part.

so over the past week things have been getting less and less green, rust spots on leaves, lower leaves dying, all types of bad things.

I figured it was due to lower ppm feedings, and i just started using jacks+calnit so there was a possible learning curve there to overcome.

Fast forward to this morning, i whip up a batch of jacks 1:0.67 @750ppm, ph up to 5.8 & feed all my plants.

As the day progresses i am thinking back on previous grows and how i never had to add ph up. Basically just freaking myself out.

So on my way home i stop and pick up some calibration fluid 4.01 & 7.01 also 1500ppm solution.

upon re-calibrating my meter i see that i have been feeding around 6.2, hopefully this has been the cause of my yellowing.

Should i re-water with the correct ph? The plants are in hempy buckets 75/25 perlite/vermiculite.

This jacks seems to be a really simple nutrient once you get the hang of it, I made some stock solution at 880g jacks & 580g cal nit per gallon. Hopefully this at 10ml/gal + a functioning ph meter will green things up.

Also i ordered a humidifier, so hopefully ill have a 100% dialed in environment soon.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
You should be fine with that mix for most plants. The strains I have problems with at that ratio is chem dawg strains. They seem to need some additional cal/mag at that feed rate.

If your PH was off make sure you water with a lot of run off to flush out the bucket bottom.

Speed of green

This is the most frustrating nutrient i have ever used, i don't know if J.R. Peters sent me the wrong shit labeled as Jacks or what.

My plants look like they are about to die.

My Mix-
R/O water - 0ppm 6.1ph
Jacks - 10ml/gal
bubble for 10min
Calnit - 10ml/gal
Bubble for 10min
At this point ph is at 4.9-5.2
I add sm90 to bring ph up to 5.8
Bubble overnight!
Confirm ph is still at 5.8
Flush the fuck out of the pots and come back two hours later to find the runoff ph at 7.

Normally i wouldn't even care about runoff ph as i have had this be high before with different nutrients and no ill affect to the plant.

Plants look like hell, I'm at my wits end with this.

Can anyone confirm the color of the Jacks concentrate mixture @ 880g/gal. Mine is yellow.

Calnit concentrate is blue

The plants look like they are way overwatered, but this curling leaf at the top tells that the ph is off too.

Any suggestions?

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I am currently running those nutes at that strength with a RH 45% and having no problems. I have had the jacks come in blue and yellow mix. Currently it is yellow for me. Have not had the blue green jacks in a couple years.

How full are the roots in the pot? You may be over watering them if they are not fully threw out the pot. I try not to up pot till they have really filled a pot then they start to wilt from not enough water every day.

I run my PH at about 5.8 to 5.9. I dont bubble it or let it set. I use it as I mix it. What kind of acid are you using? I use phosphoric and it acts as sort of a buffer. By that I mean it holds the solution at around my PH number and prevents it from going up and down to much.

I never measure run off. Just have never had to.

All this said I have zero time with CO2 in my grow.

Speed of green

The plants have been in these pots for about a month, I'm fairly certain the roots are filled throughout the pot.

I am using botannicare ph up. it says 29% Concentrated Potassium Hydroxide.

also i unplugged the co2 generator just to remove a variable.

Thanks for helping. Maybe they just need a couple days to bounce back.

Temp is 79, rh is in the 50's

Miraculous Meds

Sorry for ur troubles bud, been there before, its so frustrating. I looked at an earlier pic of a plant on the screen and it looked pretty healthy. Im wondering whats changed since then. I would definitely be weary of overwatering. The tops may be drying out from the low rh while the roots are staying soaked. So when u saturate and feel the weight of the pot completely wet, make sure u let it go till its pretty dry, I mean 10 to 20% heavier than the weight of the medium right out of the bag. that way u know ur not keeping the roots too wet in this situation. U cant keep them very wet till the roots fill the pot.

On top of the watering, I didn't see u respond to my earlier post about checking for pests with a scope around the top of the plant n the root zone. Look up my earlier post for the details of what n how to look for it. That type of weird distortion can be from what I mentioned earlier. If no pests are present, then Id be fairly confident that getting the watering down, and the rh up should get u back on track. while they are whacked like this, back the light intensity off for a while, till they show signs of coming back.

Let me reiterate the watering strategy for this situation. PH takes a back seat to fixing not overwatering. So get to the dry cycles like I was describing, n water thru with ur 1ec of base nutes, with 5.8ph, n don't worry bout the run off. It will fix itself as the plants get healthier n start to up take the nutrients. Each time u feed with fresh 5.8ph, that's what they have available to utilize, so that will straighten out. DO NOT keep trying to keep watering to adjust ph, it will kill ur plants cause of the first priority problem, which is the roots are probably staying too wet to uptake anything.

As far as the co2, id back off to 800 or 900ppm, till u have healthy rapid growth, then If u want bumb it up to 1000 or 1200ppm with 85f n 70%rh.

Miraculous Meds

U slipped in ur last post as I was working on mine. that long in that size pot, and they should be established. Its possible that they could be getting too dry n causing this problem. Its hard to tell from pics, but if they are bone dry the next day, u might try upping the watering on one to see if that's the problem. If they dry too much, they can get salt build up, causing nute lock out, over fert symptoms, etc..

Speed of green

They are full of water, when i tip one of the buckets on its side and water flows out of the little hempy hole the ph is at 6.7.

so to me this is saying that the plants are sitting in 6.7ph nutrient solution and the plants aren't drinking it. Right?

Also i borrowed a brand new ph meter and calibrated it. My old meter and this new one read the same.

As of right now I'm going to go on a hike or something, i need to get out of the house, I've been racking my brain for the last three days trying to figure this out.

I'm going to leave them alone for the next few days and let them dry out, if i see no improvement, then I'm going to flush the pots again with lower ph nutrients until the ph in the hempy reservoir is at 5.8

soil margin

Veteran
That droop looks like root rot to me. You got some leaf problems near the bottom of some of those plants which also usually happens with the rot.

Miraculous Meds

They are full of water, when i tip one of the buckets on its side and water flows out of the little hempy hole the ph is at 6.7.

so to me this is saying that the plants are sitting in 6.7ph nutrient solution and the plants aren't drinking it. Right?

Also i borrowed a brand new ph meter and calibrated it. My old meter and this new one read the same.

As of right now I'm going to go on a hike or something, i need to get out of the house, I've been racking my brain for the last three days trying to figure this out.

I'm going to leave them alone for the next few days and let them dry out, if i see no improvement, then I'm going to flush the pots again with lower ph nutrients until the ph in the hempy reservoir is at 5.8

If u want quick results n have a drainage plan, id drill holes in the bottom of the hempy's n just dtw. Letting the pot dry is the right answer if u have water running out the bottom still. If u want to keep the hempy style, maybe post up in the hempy thread, n u might get better answers from there, since ive never done them.

take a breath, its going to take some time for recovery, n now its very easy to do to much n make it worse. Keep with the 5.8 ph feeds. The ph will adjust.

An alternative to drilling holes, is to keep the hempy style, but when u flush thru, tip the pot over n drain all the extra water, after a feed. This way ur not using the hempy res, while they are overwatered. When growth starts to kick ass, just run the hempys as usual.

Looks like ur drip feeding with hempys right? I think most hempy people just water once to every few days. If ur multiwatering with that built in res in the pot, this could be the cause of the overwatering problem.

My take on hempys is there great for people that don't want to multi water. Ur already built watering system, would do better with dtw. Not saying u cant do it, but the hempys were designed to water n walk away for a couple days n not worry bout the plant drying up n dying. that said theres a way to make everything work, just have to find what path u want to do.

Nice topic i like your setup. To bad you got curly leafs. I think of to much water and to low temperatures at night. To much water would permanently damage the roots causing them into a PH blockade. Plants are not abled to take the nutrients from the soil anymore. Roots will turn from white to a brownish colour.

Last edited:

Speed of green

So last night after reading everyones suggestions i decided to flush the pots until the runoff read closer to 5.8, then drain the pots of excess water...

After 80 gallons of r/o and my helper checking the runoff out of each hempy pot we got the runoff down to 6.2ph from 6.7ph.

For some reason even after putting almost 10 gallons of 5.8 through one pot the ph wouldn't go below 6.2, I guess there is some kind of chemical reaction happening in the pot.

Anyway, this morning I awoke to GLORY.

Every plant has a definite marked improvement, leaves are straightening out, new growth pointing up.

I did check the roots for pests with a 30x jewelers loupe, Luckily I didn't find any.

Also i dumped one of the worst plants completely out of its pot, and all the roots were as white as a ghost.

It looks like the biodome is on its way back to homeostasis!

Meds, Ichabod & Soil - Thanks for helping out, hopefully this is the only speed bump in this grow , Ill post up some pictures in a bit.

Latest posts

Latest posts