What's new

New to Mushroom (Q's)

Im a first time mushroom grower and have a couple general questions i hope some of you more experienced mycologists can help me with.

so i got a couple specimen of z strain. i only have enough to make like 3 cakes so i dont know how much that will produce. this would be my first time trying them and only because i am growing them and dont trust most street substances.

is there any difference between mushroom you might purchase and ones you grow at home? any effects on the trip?

i want to grow enough so i can try them myself, couple close friends, and maybe some extra if i want to do it again.

should i spawn them in rye seed and make more jars with it?

if i do this can i fruit some while colonizing other jars?

ill like to try this before i get too adult like for this kind of stuff. any other tips would be great. i have watched alot of the pf tek videos so i do understand the general process. thanks all in advanced.

Absolut

Im a first time mushroom grower and have a couple general questions i hope some of you more experienced mycologists can help me with.

so i got a couple specimen of z strain. i only have enough to make like 3 cakes so i dont know how much that will produce. this would be my first time trying them and only because i am growing them and dont trust most street substances.

is there any difference between mushroom you might purchase and ones you grow at home? any effects on the trip?
There will always be a difference in the trip b/c there are many different strains. Homegrown is generally superior since you can control how you grow it

i want to grow enough so i can try them myself, couple close friends, and maybe some extra if i want to do it again.

should i spawn them in rye seed and make more jars with it?
If you use rye seed, you can easily colonize more jars. It grows exponentially. So since you only have enough for 3 jars, that would theoretically be enough to colonize 30 jars.

if i do this can i fruit some while colonizing other jars?
Yes you can but if you plan on using the 3 original jars to colonize more you will have to wait longer.

ill like to try this before i get too adult like for this kind of stuff. any other tips would be great. i have watched alot of the pf tek videos so i do understand the general process. thanks all in advanced.

Hope that helps some

awsome. i was starting to think no one would answer. seems like you answered all my questions.

so heres one more if you dont mind. if i have 3 X 10cc specimen and i use that on the 3 jars and they colonize..if i wanted to only make 3-5more jars how much of the original jar(s) would i lose? since it would only be 1 new jar from an already colonized jar, would i be able to fruit that much while waiting for the new jars to colonize?

79towncar

You generally use 1 whole jar to colonize many other jars.. You could if you wanted to, use half of a jar to colonize other jars and then use the other half to spawn to a bulk.. But I would just wait.. Your not going to delay your harvest by very far if you use one jar to colonize many more.. That half of jar still is going to take a couple weeks to fruit and even more time if you spawn to a bulk substrate.. You also could just use more jars.. Make up the 3 jars.. Use 2 to colonize other jars and use the last one to spawn to a bulk substrate..

Also When you are doing Grain to grain transfers you can't just keep doing them over and over.. You are going to have to use more culture for the beginning innoculations.. You can't keep using the same batch of mycellium to keep colonizing generations of jars.. You can use a colonized jar and then colonize more jars.. Now the new jars you can use one more time to colonize another new set of jars.. But after that everything should be fruited.. You are going to have to keep innoculating jars if you want a perpetual harvest.. So learn how to make spore prints/syringes and learn to isolate and clone using agar..

OMJebus

Also When you are doing Grain to grain transfers you can't just keep doing them over and over.. You are going to have to use more culture for the beginning innoculations.. You can't keep using the same batch of mycellium to keep colonizing generations of jars.. You can use a colonized jar and then colonize more jars.. Now the new jars you can use one more time to colonize another new set of jars.. But after that everything should be fruited.. You are going to have to keep innoculating jars if you want a perpetual harvest.. So learn how to make spore prints/syringes and learn to isolate and clone using agar..

But why not? Say, you use 1 jar to and drop a few grains in 10 other jars, and use ONE of those other 10 to do 10 more, and just keep doing that. Why can't you do that?

79towncar

Because after about 2 transfers the mycelium becomes less viable.. After the 3rd generation alot of contanimations pop up... You would get about a 15% contamination rate.. So all growers must go back to innoculating jars someway.. So wether it's syringes or prints or mycelium wedges you have to start new master jars.. This is why growers should always keep stock cultures.. This way you know exactly what your genetics are...

So after 2 transfers you should use your stock cultures to innoculate another batch of grain jars.. These become master jars and should be labeled G1 (generation 1).. Then the masters are used to innoculate about 10 other jars of the same size and should be labled G2... So from 1 jar you have now created 10.. Now the 2nd generation jars could be used once more to innoculate 100 more jars.. But I reccomend just going straight to fruiting with the 2nd generation of jars..

counterculture.

OMJebus agar is the best way to go about what your talking about, in fact localizing the stemy branches of the colonized culture is the best way to do what your talking about, some people might not have to much luck with it but it does work and works well for me, I've been growing illusion weavers for about three years. I'm on my 72nd go on the same culture with no decreace in potency.

But why not? Say, you use 1 jar to and drop a few grains in 10 other jars, and use ONE of those other 10 to do 10 more, and just keep doing that. Why can't you do that?

the myc is not meant to live long after 3 generations they are senior citizens and barely have the strength left to make fruits and fight contaminations.

if you fruit cakes you can expect from 1-4 grams each. Another option is to clone a shroom from the flesh on the inside of the stem or take a spore print after you get some mushrooms.

I would suggest you fruit at least 1 jar as a cake if its your first time so you atleast have a chance of taking prints and/or cloning

Latest posts

Latest posts