What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New to Cloning

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
Whats up dude...sorry to hear about ur cloning woes...Ive been havin the same problem until recently when I built my own DIY bubble - cloner!!! :jump:

Check it...

Container - 1.00 @ the dollar store...
air pump - 13.00
2 airstones - 3.00
tubing - 1.00
neoprene inserts - .50 each

...never having to worry about rooted clones again...priceless!!!!

Just finishing up a test run with the bubbler...Ive got roots in 5 days already!!!Try it out bro, its the best ever...I just add some Olivias cloning solution, and some Liquid Karma...pure gold...Peace man, and good luck

- Z

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Bubble cloners are quick, cheap and highly effective but you'll need to watch out for a couple of things.

1) Don't use tooooo much air. Get the smallest air pump you can find at the pet store. (If you want to do a LOT of clones I suggest multiple small units)
Too much air will also cause a false high pH and ladder style root structures.

2) Don't use too big of a tub. Use one just long enough to hold a 6" bubble-curtain wand at the bottom of it and about 5-6" deep.

3) Even bubbles popping across the entire surface of the water. The smaller the bubbles the better.

4) NO NUTES! NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZERO! :bashhead:

5) Definitely do the 44oz cup changout for fresh RO water every other day

6) Do NOT submerge the stems. You want the water level low enough that the stems are damp after about 20 minutes. If the stems are wet in 5 minutes you're going to get root rot.
Let it sit for 20 minutes, the top of the bubbler with holes open should be damp but not wet.

7) If you can't get the dampness perfect then use a timer. Get one of the outdoor timers that goes on and off in 5 minute increments or something and have it turn off for 10 minutes every 5 minutes of bubbling. Play around with it.. you want the stems to _almost_ dry out but not quite before the pump kicks on again.

8) Indeed... NO DOMES... heck, with the bubble cloner I don't even have first day wilt issues. (cut your clones and throw them in a bucket of RO water with a couple drops of bleach in it. Only pull them out when you're ready to put them into the cloner and everything stays nice and firm.)
I usually only get first hour wilt... after that things are perky as hell and roots usually pop in about 3-5 days.

I really recommend a nice warm enviro about 85F and good flourescent lighting until rooted.

If you're going into soil then yank the clones as soon as the stem is covered in white bumps.

Transplant and water with a bit of B1 water as usual and you'll get roots exploding out like you want within a day or so. Shouldn't have any wilt issues either.

I hope this clears up some of the bad rap that bubble cloners are getting... they're really the fastest cheap cloning method I know of that I've always gotten excellent results from. (Yes, I too rotted a few stems at first until I got help on CW... LOL)

Good luck everyone :rasta:

KUSHEATER1

tap water only
I don't add anything I just pop in 10 gal tub and wait everything I have will root in about 10 days except SFV OG takes her about 14 days to root I always have clones on the go.I have to say though that it's all trial and error cause I tried every way that I read about with no results or minimal results and even the bubbler has given me the blues befor but now I pop in and leave in for about three weeks and move them straight to flower. :joint: Also if putting babies in soil after they have rooted then just make sure that your soil is nice and wet,and give them a lite spray of veg solution to give them that kick start,in a day or so thay will stand up and start to grow

Will give ya this

Last edited:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wickedpete66 said:
The bubbler bombed. Out of 30 cuttings I only got 3 to root. right now I'm trying to root some clones in coco. If this doesnt work I'm going to plunk down the cash for an ez cloner(239.00) or the botonicaire clone machine 25(150.00)

Yes these machines are worth the cash if your growing big the ez cloner is my suggestion I have 2 and love them.

I might suggest a couple of things to try if you would. Root Tech is a must for a nice dip before you throw them in and also Green Fuse in your water will increase you numbers of successful baby's as well.

Just wanted to give ya a few shots of what I'm talking about.

You gotta remember these are WEEDS we are working with they got millions of years of genes in them stems so they know what to do. All we do as growers is make them grow faster and stronger by controlling the environment and food supply plain and simple.

Give the gel and the fuse a try and shoot me a pm if ya need me.

Mr.Wags

Last edited:

wickedpete66

So I decided to give the bubble cloner another try. I think the issue I had last time was that I didnt leave a node in the water. Any way here is the cloner and after 8 days I'm starting to get roots

wickedpete66

So far this cloner has given me 100% success rate on mandallas speed queen clones. They show root bumps after about 3-4 days and roots at 6-8 days and are taking about 2 weeks before I can transplant into 20oz cups.

Bluestar

Wickedpete - bubble cloner is definitely the way to go, it couldn't be more simple. Just a suggestion, before you put the clone in, split the stem lengthwise about 1" to give more surface area for roots. It really speeds up rooting.

I couldn't clone for shit before I tried the bubble cloner, and I have only lost 3 out of 25 clones.

tripples

rapid rooter or knock offs works great for me.. cover with the dome for 5 days or so.. spray the dome once or twice maybe three times, not the cuts.. remove the dome, if the cuts wilt and never perk back up put the dome back on for another day and try again.. but i found if i didnt spray the cuts they never wilted.. once youve removed the dome.. you should be on your way.. sometimes things would have roots coming outta the rapid rooters in 5-6 days some would take a week to two..
works great for me.. 80-90% success depending on the strain every time..
peace

D

DJXXPLATINUM

hey wpete if you look in the indoor hydro forum you will find directions to build a ez cloner nockoff it looks really easy to put together,,,but the bubble cloners in this tread look pretty easy also..i liked the way the starts looked

M

moses224

If you follow JJSCORPIOS thread and use the rapid rooter you should be fine. The key is preperation (hormone,cut,etc) temp, watering (dont overwater) and patience. Some of my clones root in 5 days some take up to 21 but im well over 90% sucess. I have yet to try a bubble or anyother type of cloner. I just use tray with 7" vented dome. just my 2 cents

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hey Pete you shouldn't give up on the Bubble Cloner just yet, I have had the healthiest cuts come from my bubbler and I had no luck when I would add shit to the water.. I kept get stem rot but found out it was from adding Superthrive and when I just used plain ol tap water I had 100% success. You should check out my tutorial in my sig cuz it's only $20 to make and you will have a happy supply of clones. What I do is take my cuts and then I soak them in Vitamin B1 1 min then I take my razor and make long verticle cuts down the stem but not too deep you just want to break the outter layer of skin and then pop them in the bubbler and in a week to 2 1/2 weeks you'll have roots popping out of the cuts you made having roots galore and I noticed my clones never even turn yellow when I root them in my bubble cloner! I'm also testing out Oasis cubes and RootTech gel and so far they are doing great! But the bubble cloner is by far the easiest set it and forget it way to get clones so don't give up yet and remember plain water and cooler temps equal happy rooted clones!

wickedpete66

Thundurkel said:
Hey Pete you shouldn't give up on the Bubble Cloner just yet, I have had the healthiest cuts come from my bubbler and I had no luck when I would add shit to the water.. I kept get stem rot but found out it was from adding Superthrive and when I just used plain ol tap water I had 100% success. You should check out my tutorial in my sig cuz it's only $20 to make and you will have a happy supply of clones. What I do is take my cuts and then I soak them in Vitamin B1 1 min then I take my razor and make long verticle cuts down the stem but not too deep you just want to break the outter layer of skin and then pop them in the bubbler and in a week to 2 1/2 weeks you'll have roots popping out of the cuts you made having roots galore and I noticed my clones never even turn yellow when I root them in my bubble cloner! I'm also testing out Oasis cubes and RootTech gel and so far they are doing great! But the bubble cloner is by far the easiest set it and forget it way to get clones so don't give up yet and remember plain water and cooler temps equal happy rooted clones!

I got it pretty nailed down using this bubbler. I get 95% roots, but I always lose about 15% after transplanting. Even if it has a nice root system it seems some just wilt and die usually from the new nodes that start

mixin

crazy. i bought a raft rooter (http://www.raftrooter.com) and i got a 100% success rate my very first time. just make sure you don't over fertilize, keep your water above 75 degrees and around 6ph, change your res EVERY week, and use liquid karma

100% success rate everytime

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I'm glad the raft rooter works for you but, please don't ever recommend someone buy one. The only appreciable difference between that and a homemade bubbler is price. $100 vs $15 (assuming you build the bubbler with all brand new parts) Built from parts lying around the house, mine was "free" and that includes a heater.

mixin

i think the $100 is well worth it if you ask me. the res is extra sturdy, the 4 pieces of polyethelene foam are sweet too. i can easily grab a single "raft" and pick up a group of clones, do some water maintenance or whatever.

a cloner that consistantly reproduces top quality clones 100% of the time is well worth the price for me. true i could rig up something that would work, but everytime i do that i end up just wishing i had just paid the extra money and get better quality

FreezerBoy

Veteran
mixin said:
true i could rig up something that would work
What do you think you just did? You cut the tubing, attached the pump, attached the stones, placed them in the tub, added water and clones. You did all the work. All they did was stiff you for $100. If you like it, I'm glad for you. But to suggest someone else buy one without telling them they can build a far superior unit for free is just mean.

mixin

FreezerBoy said:
What do you think you just did? You cut the tubing, attached the pump, attached the stones, placed them in the tub, added water and clones. You did all the work. All they did was stiff you for $100. If you like it, I'm glad for you. But to suggest someone else buy one without telling them they can build a far superior unit for free is just mean.

dude i understand its not rocket science to put together a bubble cloning system. i doubt you can build a far superior product for free. have you actually even used a raft rooter or physically touched any part of one? they aren't flimsy plastic containers like most everything at stores. it would be great to just get some polyethylene material like the stuff that comes with the rooter. do you have a hook up for that?

i am suggesting to EVERYONE who isn't afraid of spending $100 on a bubble cloning system that is going to reward them with endless supplies of the worlds best weed for years.

hey freezerboy, do you have a tutorial on how you create your far superior unit for free? that would surely be a hit.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Tutorial? It's airstone in a tub!

Note the lack of unnecessary polyethylene sheets. Note the heater. Where's the heater in your unit? For $100 surely they provided a heater.

M

moses224

They do provide a heater but definately would build if given choice.

To each his own

Latest posts

Latest posts