What's new

New room using LED's

cateros

Cant wait till we finish rebuilding our house, I don't know If I mentioned it before the new room build is due to a fire we had about 16 months ago , we had a roofer manage to set the roof of our house on fire will working with torches to seal down a membrane on a flat roof. Anyways the smoke and water damage wiped out our entire house which had to be gutted inside. But as it stands we are about one month give or take from moving back in . So when I start I will be doing a run of 12 candy kush from autoseeds , due to some changes by the workers I also had to change what the layout of the room as you prolly noticed in the diagram I posted a few back. I will be using the advantage of the room being on a 20/4 light schedule I will be able to start my mothers as well for the next run. Its easy to pick the strain to grow when your just worrying about getting your med room up and running fast so you have your meds asap but when you have all the other strains It starts to get tough.

Also turned out I had to return my 6' light rails cause the workers made the area I had intended for flowering 5'10" x 5'10" so have to send them back for a pair of 4' rails.

Not planning on covering the whole area however just a 4 x 6 portion so the 2 lights will overlap I figure running the 336x pro and 189x pro side by side on rails over a 24 square foot canopy will be the fairest test of what these leds can do in comparison to a hid on a light rail as I would use a 1000w on one rail over a 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 grow area. With a goal 1.5 lbs every 3 months. I found one test of the 336 at growershouse.org where they did par readings over a 4 x 4 3 x 3 2 x 2 and 1 x 1 set of spaces and took readings from the center moving out along each space to show the par reading so even though the 336 is supposed to cover 4 x 4 and the 189 3 x 3 I am setting the rail for the 336 at 3.5 feet from the back of the canopy and the 189 1.5 feet from the back , hoping this will create very nice uniform and intense par reading over the canopy. Right now my main problem is finding another par test like the one I found on the 336 for the 189 as I could then just use the readings to figure out the perfect spacing to have about 800umol across the entire canopy.

Oh and other good new almost all my new grow equipment showed up my 12 site active aqua flow and grow its nice ebb and grow system similar to the cap systems but has 2 inch legs on the corner of each bucket to allow for bottom filling and draining instead of the side like the ebb, so no stagnant water in the bottom of the buckets. Also decided as I have the space for 2 co2 tanks to get a cap reg 2 dual tank regulator with solenoid I figure when running a sealed environment running out of co2 is like suffocating your children, SO also purchased 2 more tanks for a total of 3 on hand for safety sake.

What other progress is there ,,,,,Oh also in the process of building a 5' tall lighted stand for keeping mothers and propagation as it is right now I have 3 200w cfl lights with bright wing reflectors but as the stand is 3 feet wide I need some supplemental lighting to cover the edges and was wondering about those par 38 led screw in bulbs I keep seeing and if they are any good for growing like cfls or are the diodes to weak?

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
wow, i read fire earlier, but didn't ask.

i experienced a fire at age 19 in my first apt. burned 30 units to the ground. i got out with sweatpants and my car keys (brand new mustang GT).

i feel you pain brother, only i was young and my stuff was all used (except clothes, they cost a lot, plus i had no insurance) and not as devastating as what you went through i am sure.

anyway, glad your family is about to recover at least on the home.

your plan sounds killer to me and i can wait to see how you do with the light rails.

best of luck my friend.

:tiphat:

cateros

Yep the fire really sucked but because of the fact health canada licences me to grow my own med at home, I was able to claim the cost having to go to dispensary's as an extra living expense so the insurance has had to pay for my meds for the last 17 months.

cateros

picture.php

picture.php

Wanna try and make sure all the changes that have happened due to contrators always fudging things here and there I thought I would post this par reading taken under a 336x pro done at growershouse.com/blog as you can see it shows that the most effective canopy coverage is actually closer to 3 x3 but will cover 4 x 4 so I am planning on placing the light rails so the 189's covers about 1.5 feet across and the 336 cover 2.5 for the 4 ' width light movers cover the distance every 20 minutes so all and all I think this should be a fairly decent test of the performance of the led's on light movers compared to hid on a mover, I just wish I could have afforded 2 of the 336 as I would have then placed the rails at 18 and 36 inches and had 1k watts of leds on rails to compar the yield vs hid on a light rail. Anywho If anyone knows of any par reading like the one I found for the 336 about for the 189 it would be appreciated to know so I can compare the umol readings at about 1.5 -2 x 2 canopy.But as it goes I will have the 189 on a rail 16 inches from the back wall and the 336 at 34 inches from the back wall or there about This should allow 5 inches clearance for the 189 from the back wall and 5 inches bettwen panels as they pass one another . My main concern is not placing them to close together so they blow excess heat into each other as they pass. SO I have checked with Donnie at HGL for a suggestion spacing them on rails so there overlapping coverage is where I am hoping to get it.
In the last pic you can see the 2 panels sitting side by side with a 5 inch gap between them so gives you a better idea how I plan on covering my canopy as they sit in the pic they measure 45" across from the side of each panel to the next. Also in the diagram showing the rooms layout the buckets are way out of proportion as they are only supposed to be 10" across each and will have a 16" x 18" screen screen built to hook right onto them to make it easy to switch from scrog to sog to just growing trees if I choose,

cateros

ITs getting so confusing I think when the whole room is done with lights in place , reflectix reflective insulation in place , the 12 bucket grow system etc are all in place I will condense everything down to a journal showing each stage of construction , this journal is more an advice request on helping to set up this new room as dialed in as possible form the start. As if I have heat problems I have already drilled holes thru the foundation to accommodate one of those little 7500btu air conditioners whos condenser coils and compressor are on the outside of the house and the part that lets in cool air is only 10inch high by 16 deep by 24" long so can fit very neatly up on the roof and not be a hazard for concussions. And if its too cool well that's easy to fix as I have 2 20amp 220v outlets in the room so I can pot in a nice little intermatic 220v-120v transformer box which splits the one 20amp 220v outlet into 2 120v 20 amp outlets and comes with a build in timer so perfect for as much heating equipment as I will ever need.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i for 1 will be looking forward to that journal

looking interesting so far

cateros

I am hoping so and once the build is finish I will condense down the most relevant and helpful posts in the entire construction including wiring up to Canadian ESA standard, The Ro system I am putting in ,Construction of the grow system , hanging the rails ,installation of the the 2 20lb co2 tanks on a cap 2 dual tank regulator controlled by a cap ppm3 controller, etc. However I my calculations say that my two panels will be providing 32.4watts per square foot over the 24' canopy without taking into account the extra efficiency of the light rails.
Anyways as we all like pics of buds so thought I would show a pic of my old room and some of the plants I was growing in a 5 x 5 space with a single 1000w.

GP73LPC

Veteran
very nice !!!

but, if those photos are of friends or family members i am not sure i would post them here.

cateros

Naw the pictures are just left over 8x10 backings from frames I hung on the wall to give some perspective in the size of the buds?

cateros

Well will be posting a picture update by Monday, But so far just waiting on 2 light rails ,my cap 2 dual tank regulator , 2 20lb tanks and just have to put down flooring , and install the light sweeps on the entrance door. But the majority of the reflective walls are up all the wiring is finished , including 220v digital timer for the led panels and a 120v digital timer for the co2 system as I cant afford a digital controller that can also monitor the light cycle they were over 650$ and had a bunch of options I don't need like venting controls etc so with the cap ppm 3 controller the solenoid plug end can plug into a timed outlet that will start increasing co2 15 min before lights on to 1200-1500ppms and 45 minutes before lights off , which is essentially the only feature of the higher end co2 controllers I would use. And I still have 3 or 4 wall mounted fans to hang. And if present construction speed continues at the house we should have occupancy in about 3-4 weeks give or take a few days , so with any luck My first grow journal will be starting in may with a run of auto seeds Candy kush, while I start some mothers of Reserve privada's Og 18 ,Purple wreck and either some tester seeds of a strain called Ice dream I got from GHS or a limited edition la snowcap from Dna genetic limited edition line. What will make my decision will be any input from other growers who have grown these strains from this seed bank and can give some pointers on what kinda nute strength they like , if the flowering times are correct stuff like that.

cateros

Well have some pics for ya My room is approaching completion ( my friends and contractors have taken to calling it the room on the space station because of how it looks rofl ) , just have to finish a small portion of subfloor in the back of my room covering a sump pump in this room but I have decided to cover it with a 18" diameter floor drain cover to allow for the cool air from under my house to aid in cooling my room.

So once the subfloor and cover plate are in place I will be covering the floor in cheap remenant linoleum probably of a darker color to avoid stains from nutes always showing up like they do on white. Anyways here are a few more pics of the entire room now that it is fully wired and covered in reflectix ,and blue seal on all walls and ceilings behind 5/8" drywall , with r65 foam insulation behind the drywall on the exterior walls and rock sol safe and sound inside the interior walls giving the room a burn rating of 45 minutes if a fire were to start and making it completely soundproof.
Flowering/veg space from equipment room entrance.

cateros

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44109&pictureid=1058138 A view from the entrance door into grow area back to the equipment room remember on the wall on the right side still has room for a small short veg area as well as mother storage and room for starting clones. Right now have a good high quality radiant oil filled heater in the room which took 4 hours to get the room to 18c which I think is boding well for my sealed room .
So should have the floor finished and the rest of my equipment should have arrived so my next pic update should be with all the wall fans in place , dehumidifier , light panels on there rails , dual tank co2 system in place and the 12 site Active aqua ebb and grow in place. A question for those following if you would like I will post pics of the assembly of the ebb system as it is a rather unique compared to the cap system as it uses a bottom filling system so that no water is ever left in the buckets between floods, but as it is a lot of pics Ill only do it as long as there is interest. Almost forgot this is a pic of the space I plan on turning into a nursery to keep my mothers .clones and short time veg ITs hard to tell because of the angle but the space is 5'long 3'wide and angles from the floor to almost 6' high without intruding on the space I need for my res's .nutrients ,meters etc.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
awesome right on schedule w/ the 'space station' ~seems like i know someone using similar terminology

look'n pretty good ~be interesting to see if that space will be practical for the mothers w/ that under-stair roof

cateros

awesome right on schedule w/ the 'space station' ~seems like i know someone using similar terminology

look'n pretty good ~be interesting to see if that space will be practical for the mothers w/ that under-stair roof
I am actually an advocate of bonsai mothers with proper training you can keep about quite a few on a 4'L x 2'W shelf under t8's there was actualy an article somewhere on the site on creating bonsai mums ,,,,,,,oh wait found it here is the link https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=31919

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hell yeah my friend; me too

i just want to keep more and more mothers and find things tend to get out of hand w/ my own lack of discipline

lol; u rack disiprin

well; do anyway

cateros

hell yeah my friend; me too

i just want to keep more and more mothers and find things tend to get out of hand w/ my own lack of discipline

lol; u rack disiprin

well; do anyway
I kinda do as well between us strain collectors because I have a 50 plant limit I also have this 7' x 4' x 2' modular shelf I fixed up with 2 300w cfls one 2700k the other 6500k for 2 shelves and the top with a cloning station with heat mats and a couple of 22w t5's over them , and start lot of random seeds I get as freebies take cuttings and toss them in with a strain of similar height and flowering time. But I usually keep my collection down to 2-3 strains at a time , during my trial run with autoseeds candy kush I am either going to start a feminized og 18 or skywalker from reserve privada , either way will also start a freebie I got called la snowcap which is a new limited edition line strain from DNA genetic.

Wow shouldn't have smoked last last session way off topic about using the room for keeping moms :laughing: , more then likely I will just be putting moms in there to beef up before being raped, put them into a couple of those 6 site rubber maid dwc bubble things till they have decent enough roots to transfer into the higromite in the ebb buckets , I think If I schedule things right I might actually be able to use my growing area for drying while the clones veg for the first 7 days in that smaller area before moving them .

GP73LPC

Veteran
very cool cateros :good:

i may have some questions for you, in the future, regarding construction

i'm doing all the work except for ELECTRIC CERTIFICATION so i don't have to stay quite as stealth. still that's what me and 2 fellow grower/builder friends will call it/them in my case "the rooms".

cateros

Not a problem but to honest the entire space was designed by an architect when we redesigned the whole house so all I did was give him the size of the growing space I wanted my plants in dimensions of the system and he designed the rest with work space figured in ,with a complete list of materials required by the Fire dept, police for security, wall sealant to waterproof the drywall etc.This is the joy of having a contractor be found negligent who burnt you house down and also having a licence from health canada to produce my meds there so my insurance is rebuilding everything based on my old room but it was actually the reduced the risk of fire hazard due to lower heats and because led's dont pop like hid's do the fire dept in my region also informed my insurance company that they would only approve occupancy if the new grow room employed led grow lights (big bonus there) . So if you look for the silver lining in a company setting your house on fire I guess its the fact that a 10,000$ job being botched resulted in us getting 300k to rebuild our house 200k for the contents , a probable 400k more for losses and other damages not covered in our insurance , and the company actually paid me 2000$ a month for 23 months to cover my medical cannabis during the time I didnt have access to my grow room.

Oh on a side note the 1500w heater I put in there to get an idea of what kind of temp's Ill have to work with , so I set it for 18c and 24hrs later the room is 18c and the heater is only cylcing between its low power and standby setting. So this boading really well for aleiviating my heat concerns I was having as I was holding off on creating any venting for the room until I was sure I would absolutely need it.

Latest posts

Latest posts