What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Orleans and Katria

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
deesfema.jpg

ShootinBudz

Chiefsmokingbud said:
Props to you for helping out. Unfortunately some of us in the surrounding states got the less scrupulous refugees that have tripled our crime rate. Anything to send them back asap is cool by me

But you cannot say that, it be so raycissssss!!!!!

Oscanana

New Orleans is what? Sodom?

New Orleans is what? Sodom?

Listening to those who seem to argue their points of view without letting the facts get in the way. Being from New Orleans I am aware of the history of the city and the challenges faced by its environment. The gov't (nat'l) has consistently given NOLA the "hind tit", even that reluctantly, since the Roosevelt vs. Long (Huey P. Long) era and the fear of Long's potential national election bid (that would have scared anyone in their right mind, mind you) and the City against the State (Baton Rouge) for many years thereafter due to some efforts made to move the capital to New Orleans and the defiance of the city against some State laws that New Orleans found too confining or conservative. The corruption (graft) and inequity of the system consistently insured that improvements that were allocated for and approved at national and state levels never made it into existence. My first memory of a bad storm was Betsy in '65 when I was a little boy and it took our roof off and left us without power and water for 6 days. Then Camille in '69 when I was roughnecking offshore and had to be flown back in from the Gulf was a devastating experience for mostly the Mississippi coast getting the direct hit. But Katrina brought about the "perfect storm" conditions that caused the storm surge and then a change in direction from the back side of the Lake put pressure on full levees resulting in the horrible flooding. Look, this issue is not rocket science. It's "build a fucking levee competently like those Europeans in Venice and Amsterdam." We have the technology and have had it for a long time. Their environment is much riskier with much greater erosion than New Orelans. And I damn sure prefer New Orleans to both of the those cities. In fact, I have only been in one city I like as much as NOLA and that is San Francisco. I like a lot of European cities but I miss the USA too much after I'm gone a while. Anyway, my point is that this situation has develped over decades of misuse of funds up the ladder and down the ladder involving politics. New Orleans can be fixed properly with going banko. A challenge for sure given the shortcomings of Louisiana politics but I don't know of a better palce to save and enjoy than the ups and downs, good and bad of the Big Easy. Just my opinion and I could be wrong......nah, just kidding.:)

Oscanana

Correction

Correction

Meant to say, "the city can be fixed without going Banko!". Sorry for the typo. Must be the haze in the room affected my eyesight. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts