What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Mexico Resumes Medicinal Marijuana Program

New Mexico Resumes Medicinal Marijuana Program
August 17, 2007 at 19:37:02 PT
By Barry Massey, The Associated Press
Source: Associated Press

Santa Fe, NM -- Gov. Bill Richardson ordered the state Health Department today to resume planning of a medical marijuana program despite the department's worries about possible federal prosecution.

However, the governor stopped short of committing to implement a state-licensed production and distribution system for the drug if the potential for federal prosecution remains unchanged.

The department announced earlier this week that it would not implement the law's provisions for the department to oversee the production and distribution of marijuana to eligible patients. That decision came after Attorney General Gary King warned that the department and its employees could face federal prosecution for carrying out the law, which took effect in July.

The distribution and use of marijuana are illegal under federal law.

Today, Richardson directed the department to plan for full implementation of the program, such as preparing the regulations that will permanently govern how it operates.

Under the law, the department is to issue the rules by October, including for licensing marijuana producers and developing a system to distribute the drug to qualified patients.

However, Gilbert Gallegos, a spokesman for the governor, said a decision would be made later whether to implement the production and distribution system if federal prosecution remained possible.

Gallegos said the administration was pursuing possible "legal options" to allow the state to provide patients with access to medical marijuana. He said he could not provide details of what was being considering.

The new state law allows the use of marijuana for pain or other symptoms of debilitating illnesses such as cancer, glaucoma, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, HIV-AIDS and certain spinal cord injuries.

New Mexico is the 12th state to legalize marijuana for certain medical uses, but it's the only one calling for state-licensed production and distribution of the drug.

King advised the state department that U.S. Supreme Court rulings make clear that the manufacture and distribution of marijuana -- even for medical use -- is illegal and that federal authorities have prosecuted people for growing medical marijuana.

Even before Richardson's announcement, the department planned to continue to certify patients as eligible to possess marijuana. That protects the individuals from state prosecution, but it leaves them to find their own supply of marijuana -- potentially growing it themselves or obtaining it from friends or drug dealers.

About 30 patients have been approved to participate in the program since the law took effect.

Advocates of the program applauded Richardson's decision to have the state prepare to implement a system for producing and distributing marijuana to patients.

"My biggest problem is finding marijuana," Aurore Bleck of Santa Fe, who has enrolled in the state program, said in a statement. "The control and distribution of medical marijuana through legal, safe channels under the jurisdiction of the state of New Mexico has so much potential for good."

house

While a victory overall I can't say I agree with state controlled production and distribution. Currently there is no state program set up and not allowing growing or distribution effectively renders the program worthless to any law abiding patient. Thereby encouraging criminal activity in order to find relief. Do they not recognize how half ass this is?

G

I understand their reluctance spend time in federal courthouses and jails.

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
house said:
While a victory overall I can't say I agree with state controlled production and distribution. Currently there is no state program set up and not allowing growing or distribution effectively renders the program worthless to any law abiding patient. Thereby encouraging criminal activity in order to find relief. Do they not recognize how half ass this is?

People growing and using for themselves with Dr. approval don't have to worry about NM police... THAT IS SOMETHING!!

Should Ron Paul not win the Presidency I hope Richardson does!

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Legal Distribution of Medical Marijuana Coming in New Mexico
New Mexico wants to establish a system for the distribution and manufacture of medical cannabis

Patients, caregivers or private entities could get licenses from the state Department of Health to provide cannabis under New Mexico's medical cannabis program, according to proposed regulations released by the department.

The proposed rules would establish a regulated system for the licensure, distribution and manufacture of medical cannabis.
The department plans to publish the rules later this month.
A public hearing will be held in Santa Fe on 14 January.

The state law that took effect this summer allows the use of cannabis for pain or other symptoms of debilitating illnesses such as cancer, glaucoma, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, HIV-AIDS and spinal cord injury.

Since the law took effect on 1 July, the department has certified 74 patients as eligible to possess cannabis.
That protects the individuals from state prosecution, but leaves them to find their own supply of cannabis potentially growing it themselves or obtaining it from friends or drug dealers.
Under the proposed rules, the department would provide for several different kinds of licensed producers, including a qualified patient, a caregiver, a state-owned or operated facility or a private entity.

New Mexico was the 12th state to legalize cannabis for certain medical uses, but it is the only one where the law calls for state-licensed production and distribution of the drug.

(Source: Associated Press of 4 December 2007)

guineapig

Veteran
Interesting to see what rules New Mexico will publish later this month....

Thanks IMB!!!! you truly are my hero of canna information.....:wave:

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
Go New Mexico set the pace the rest will follow, in my state theres MMJ and from what i undertsand in my city theres only 1 dispensary. wish my state would adopt New Mexico standards

thx IM