What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Landrace Addition For...

RobFromTX

I do enjoy a Sativa every once in a while. I've never harvested them early because I'm naturally ramped up all the time as it is. So, I tend to let my Sativas almost (and sometimes entirely) die in the pot.

Now I'm very curious about a Honduras landrace! :unsure:
Honduras x Panama from Ace is the strain i referenced. It has a very gentle euphoric and uplifting effect(used responsibly ofcourse) but it does require long flowering. Weed definitely affects everyone differently. Most of my friends are like you. They prefer indica and dont care for the amped up feeling you get from sativas. You give me a bowl of grape ape and i want to put myself in a straight jacket. Thats why i want to try out a pure landrace indica to see if i like it better than these jacked up hybrids

pjlive

Honduras x Panama from Ace is the strain i referenced. It has a very gentle euphoric and uplifting effect(used responsibly ofcourse) but it does require long flowering. Weed definitely affects everyone differently. Most of my friends are like you. They prefer indica and dont care for the amped up feeling you get from sativas. You give me a bowl of grape ape and i want to put myself in a straight jacket. Thats why i want to try out a pure landrace indica to see if i like it better than these jacked up hybrids
Excellent. Of the Indica Landraces I do have, I would select (I don't mean for you, of course -- for my metabolism) the Tajikistan Kush (mostly Indica) cultivar for a plant that can be harvested to provide both ends of the Indica/Sativa spectrum. The plant I have is from NewGuy420, but there are others to be had from different collector slash preservationist accessions out there. The Tajikistan harvested early gives me a very nice daytime stone without a big adrenaline rush, and harvested late a very deep body stone that endures for hours.

I think a Honduras x Panama sounds great. I need to start paying more attention to what's available from Ace. They're a bitch for me to get shipments from, but I can do it. Just been lazy about it in the past.

Thanks again!

Itman

I have one from Tropical seeds. They call it 'Durban Poison 70s.' It is definitely a pure sativa. Pretty light yield for the size of the plant. Smoke is very nice, but not super potent. Pleasant and not so lethargic. Taste is herbal, mentholyotus, and cedar/pine. Finished in October here in the bay area. Nice to have a landrace sativa that finished on time in my region.
Real DP was aniseed licorice flavor. indisputable

Cvh

Supermod
^I'm quite certain that real landrace DP is capable of producing much more different phenos then only one that smells like aniseed. I'm not saying that aniseed flavor phenos don't exist. I'm saying that I would find it very hard to believe that an authentic landrace line would be so bottlenecked that it has only one flavor.

Itman

That characteristic is so attractive it would be bred for though also.
Attractive enough to be a huge part of modern genetics GSC etc.

pjlive

^Yes, but in this thread we're talking about the unworked unbred line (landrace) straight from the fields in Durban South Africa which are open pollinated. We're not talking about a seed line were selection and inbreeding is performed on to lock down certain traits.
I believe this to be correct. This is being sold as a period specific domestic that will undoubtedly (assuming it's really pure) produce multiple phenotypical expressions. You have to actually "hunt" (or discover) the phenos you most like within the at first unknown myriad (and limited) types and area cultivar specific expressions. Expressions can reveal multiple scents, tastes, and end harvest effects.

grayeyes

I have some legit durban poison I traded for a while back. Not the "10 week" kind but the real stuff that takes 17 weeks to mature. Next year I am going to grow it.

This year, although I have grown it 3 times, I have always had to buy seeds of a real Bubblegum that actually tastes like BBG. Now that I see I have plenty of seeds in this years grow I am going to try the DP and maybe Colombian Santa Marta Gold.

Nannymouse

Remember, Durban is a port city. Just because a shipment came out of the port, that doesn't mean that the shipment was grown in that exact vicinity. Even if it was from that vicinity, it's hard for me to think that all the plants grown in the area were alike. For instance, if you got a shipment from a certain port in california, would you expect all cali weed to be the same or even all weed that came out of one certain port? Methinks that there would be much variation.

As for the older seedbanks crossing to skunk or others, well, things are not the same as they were. It wasn't as easy to grow wild landraces, then. Lighting has certainly changed the game.

Nannymouse

Sorry, i was sort of responding to the first few posts with folks wondering why skunk was used with the earlier seedbank offerings of Durban...basically, so that they could be grown and handled by most people.

And to the differences in Durban plants.

My bad. On with the show!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Durban appears to be another landrace strain, named for a location, that varies quite a bit. Mine was from Dave Coullier I think? Finished fast and very up in effect.

I am always surprised when people say cutting before amber resin is present, or there is much of it, makes the effects crap. I have never had that happen.

grayeyes

yesum, I agree that cloudy ones are a much more 'high' feeling.
How long did your durban take to finish?

Is Coullier the guy in Fontana?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ No idea where he lives. Under 10 weeks I am sure, I run 9/15 lights though.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Pondo Ciskei, Transkei, Lesotho, Swazi... All "Durban Poison" ^^

With 4 lines in the line like gold green kind 14/16 weeks and black red kind around 12.
Black/red precocity must comes from higher altitude areas in Drakensberg ;)

Last edited:

Rastafarout

Premium user
Pondo Ciskei, Transkei, Lesotho, Swazi... All "Durban Poison" ^^

With 4 lines in the line like gold green kind 14/16 weeks and black red kind around 12.
Black/red precocity must comes from higher altitude areas in Drakensberg ;)
I’m with you on this one , all the best of those would be termed “Durban poison”
But the real Durban pencils I’m convinced

is from tugela river (north side )Zulu Land peppery , and or a certain area/areas in the Transkei
This “80’s” durbs mentioned here is Transkei 100% in my opinion
Has anyone grown it and can confirm the terps?

Transkei
9E0BAF2E-4181-4F7B-B6E9-62221DA695CA.png
“Durban”
393432B9-2AD2-493D-A911-3B78AA6FFE3C.jpeg

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
But the real Durban pencils I’m convinced

Durban notion is just an urban legend, Dutch ignorance and stupidity that brainwashed the cannabis community to the detriment of the real SA cradle of Eswatini Swazi Kingdom, Lesotho included ^^

All the powerful of South African strains comes from altitude spots of Drakensberg areas, far of Durban sea level! Elevation and UV make the plant more resinous, precocious and poison speed drug hallucinogenic.

Cheers i'm The King! :biggrin:

ahortator

Veteran
Durban notion is just an urban legend, Dutch ignorance and stupidity that brainwashed the cannabis community to the detriment of the real SA cradle of Eswatini Swazi Kingdom, Lesotho included ^^

All the powerful of South African strains comes from altitude spots of Drakensberg areas, far of Durban sea level! Elevation and UV make the plant more resinous, precocious and poison speed drug hallucinogenic.

Cheers i'm The King! :biggrin:
As far as I know, actually South African strains are not so fast flowering as magazines hype use to say. Tha fast Durban Poison version was bred in the USA. Also most seedbanks versions are hybridized with Skunk. But there used to be a lot of interesting native strains grown there in the mountains. I really don't know why Lesotho strains aren't more widespeat among cultivators around the world.