What's new

New hydro medium

very small balls from baked clay , completely different from the bigger hydro balls exept for thier color.

Its called hydrodensa
Hydrodensa is capable of holding the right amount of water an doffers a lot of air to the roots. the big advantage is the fact that flushing it throught with water goes very fast , a lot faster than with rockwool or other hydro mediums. You can change your values very fast ( once hydrodensa is stabilized)

Its also impossible to give too much water , it will drop out immediately
the amount of water contained by hydrodensa will always be the same after watering no matter how much you used.

Last edited:

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
As you describe it, it sounds just like hydroton only smaller. I think the larger rocks would let the roots grow more freely. Smaller rocks equal less space for roots.

My 2 cents...

TBug

Plz forget you know me...Sugaree
Veteran
High all! yah, its not all that new. but the smaller rocks do allow more stability for the roots and plant itself. Before this stuff came around , I just mixed the larger version with perilite. Just about the same IMO!
Peace, bugout

No , this is different . Large hydro balls do not sink in water . To grow on them you need a layer of water on the bottom, this is not the case with hydrodensa.

The HD balls are just about 0,1 inch in diameter and provide a much havier medium in wich plants will stand strong . The plants roots will go through it everywhere , not just at the bottom . and It works great for seed germination , this is impossible with the larger balls.

Also the clay and its structure is very different from the large hydro balls. Hydrodensa is able to store more nutrients . This makes growing on them different then growing on other hydro mediums .

You say , this already exists can you show me a picture of such a grow ?
Or where this stuff is sold .

And another grow with plants from seeds that never vegged /went straight into 12/12 also on HD . The plants are just 20 inches tall, maximum. The seeds mother was pretty impressive , look at her stem

Last edited:
D

Don Cotyle

Damn that main stem is massive, How long did you have that mother around??? Beautiful healthy plants atmosphere!!! Looks like they do the job well!

I ran an ebb& flow table for a few years and just used well rinsed lava rocks, light, plenty of air-waterholding abitily,excelent stabilizer and cheap! I still use lava rocks in my homemade net pots in my DWC setup. Just my personal preferance. Buy the way what is the cost per(?) for the hydrodensa???

Don!

She whas an outside lady ,and not mine It was owned by a freind of mine,its just me holding the stem.
The grow in the pictures is also his. He too busy to post here and not very good in writing English, thats why I'm posting it here . He's the man behind www.nomercy.nl On the forum there you will find more information about hydrodensa and also the growreports.

asher1er

Veteran
from looking at the pics on the link you posted(which keep in mind seems to be the only guy selling this stuff) this is nothign new, looks IDENTICAL to hydroton even when broken. If it has the same coating theres no way it holds more nutes then regular hydroton..

IMHO only thing i see here is someone tryna make money off the bi-product from hydroton(the pepples which are to small and dont make the cut to be bagged)

this is like the perlite issue, supposebly the big and chunky perlite is just what is left when all the small regular perlite is bagged, but why throw it away?? someone will buy it they figured and sure enough people do..

hydrodensa -made out of 3 different types of clay
It has a lot more weight than hydroton. It is made out of baked clay .

hydroton - the same material as the bigger hydro balls. They are made out of molten stone. As you can see they have little holes in them unlike hydrodensa .

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hydroton is also made out of clay. Here is a description that I found on the web:

Derived from a renewable and plentiful source (clay), Hydroton is considered an ecologically sustainable growing medium. The clay is formed into pellets and fired in rotary kilns at 1200°C. This causes the clay to expand, like popcorn, and become porous.

Hydroton hydroponic growing media is light in weight, does not compact and is completely reusable - it can be cleaned and sterilised after use. They are also inert, pH neutral and do not contain any nutrients. The pellets drain freely and do not hold any excessive water, which is why they provide good oxygen levels around the root and why they are particularly suitable for flood and drain systems.

In drip irrigation systems the pellets can be mixed with a medium with better capillary action so the feed is dissipated broadly through to prevent salt build-up.

As the hydroton discription say's it is light weight , unlike hydrodensa
and its from different clay (wich comes from stone)

HD originally was ment for mixing with soil .

about that :

At No Mercy we have been advising to mix clay pieces through your soil for years because the samples of soil from the south slopes of the hymalaya in Nepal ( In the plants natural environment where it servived without human interferance or help ) Also contained clay . Cees went to Nepal to get soil samples and learn more about the plant.
the problem was that mormal clay mixed through soil in pots will fall apart and fill the soils air spaces, wich is a bad thing. People were also having the problem of buying/finding small pieces of clay . Thats when the idea came to create pieces of clay that can not fall apart but still has the same caracteristics as normal clay. a large company was contacted ( www.velda.nl) with the question if they could produce small balls with 3 types of clay in a solid state. Thats how hydrodensa was born .

It is also sold as 'superdensa' as an under water medium for waterplants

Last edited:
Hydrodensa requires a different opproach in feeding than with other hydro mediums ( in case you use it as hydro medium) because of its capability to store nutes that are not easy to flush out .

the medium especially keeps the ph level very good when you always make sure you feed on ph 5 or 5,5 . It will never become too acid . the balls will neutralize when ph becomes too low and bring it up to 6 - 6,5

sounds like a door-2-door sales guy that is trying so hard to convince someone to buy their products...I really dont think there will be any difference in bud quality or yield whether you use hydroton or this hydrodensa....In fact, I would prefer hydroton since this hydrodense stuff seems so small that it will fall right through the netpots....

I did not have any problems with that .
Once there is enough rootmass the stuff is able to suck up water over a large distance . And that is the main reason for me working with it.