What's new

New grow question! Yellow bottom leaves

Camillia

Hello! First time grower here! I have not killed my plants yet so I am proud of myself, I seem to have fixed problems here and there. But I cannot figure this one out. Most of my plants get some yellow leafs at the bottom and they fall off. My 87 year old grandmother says it happens to all plants and not to worry. Google is telling me it’s a nitrogen problem. It just makes me sad when I look at them. Would love some advice!
Using Promix BX, hose water, they are outside 24/7, Floranova 30ml to 5 gallons mix of water split between the plants when they are thirsty.

Attachments

• 98C3227E-E692-43C0-BDE1-6CB7DFE4651E.jpeg
    98C3227E-E692-43C0-BDE1-6CB7DFE4651E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 66
  • F63DFB87-25BE-416B-A130-E0C8415F2E4F.jpeg
    F63DFB87-25BE-416B-A130-E0C8415F2E4F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • 66A922A5-789F-4B1A-B4FD-BF766D033247.jpeg
    66A922A5-789F-4B1A-B4FD-BF766D033247.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 66

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
IMO, pull the offending lower leaves off, and take your grandmother out to lunch while she is around.

Figure out how to run the hose water through a carbon filter to remove the chlorine, and if it is chloromine use the better filter.

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
It's normal for them to lose the oldest leaves but the light green color of the plants tells you that they are indeed starting to ask for nitrogen. Keep an eye on them, if more bottom leaves start yellowing like that you will have to correct this with a higher nitrogen amount. Nothing to worry about though,

goingrey

It's normal for them to lose the oldest leaves but the light green color of the plants tells you that they are indeed starting to ask for nitrogen. Keep an eye on them, if more bottom leaves start yellowing like that you will have to correct this with a higher nitrogen amount. Nothing to worry about though,
I doubt it if they are getting 6ml/gal FloraNova Grow. General Hydroponics calls that an aggressive feed in mid veg, a medium feed in late veg.

If it's FloraNova Bloom then maybe. Still probably not.

Maybe there was a nitrogen deficiency at some point earlier?

The plants look very healthy. Wouldn't change anything unless the yellowing stars spreading up.

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
I doubt it if they are getting 6ml/gal FloraNova Grow. General Hydroponics calls that an aggressive feed in mid veg, a medium feed in late veg.

If it's FloraNova Bloom then maybe. Still probably not.

Maybe there was a nitrogen deficiency at some point earlier?

The plants look very healthy. Wouldn't change anything unless the yellowing stars spreading up.
Sorry I never used this brand of nutrients. But if as you say they are getting aggressive doses of nitrogen, then the roots must not be assimilating it correctly. Maybe due to a wrong pH. If it's the bloom nute then they should be getting the grow one instead :)

I agree they look healthy, just was suggesting to keep an eye for other leaves turning yellow.

Camillia

IMO, pull the offending lower leaves off, and take your grandmother out to lunch while she is around.

Figure out how to run the hose water through a carbon filter to remove the chlorine, and if it is chloromine use the better filter.
That’s for the advice/reply! I hang out with grandma 3-4 times a week. She is the best:) I am looking into filters now!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Those are just thirsty plants showing you with yellow leaves. Being outdoors and in fabric containers, they will dry out fast. You could put an inch of hay or wood mulch on top of the containers to help slow the evaporation down. 😎