What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Forum Needed?

Montana

people tend to have fucked up perceptions of what is "gross" and what is "awesome nutes"--

This is the truth indeed!

What if there was no such thing as a "hydro" or "garden supply" store?

Would most of us just stop growing?

Poo, pee, blood, rotten waste, fungus, worms, the world of organic ferts is pretty nasty, but this is nature, everything that comes from, returns to it's source, once you die, the earth will eat you!

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i figured you have used guano and obviously know something but the above posts didnt say much and thats all i can go off. didnt know about the ebola virus that sucks for us, but thats another thing obviously going into a cave where the floor is bat guano is going to be bad. how many other viruses came from natural places as well im sure theres thousands. ive done my research on piss and tried it myself it does its job ill say that for being a lazy ass way. yea piss is sterile and you can put it on a open cut but why oh why would anyone rub guano on there cut lol. one person out of billions would find that as a possible and try it. theres tons of other plants that have healing purposes that are all over the globe. the point here is guano as a fertilizer. not for any other reason. im not trying to get you to use the guano grow the weed whatever way you want. either it be chems, guanos, or plant extracts and amendments its your choice.

theres a lot of fucked up shit out there but to some your ways might be total bullshit and "gross" to others so to each his own.

montana- if the hydro store was not here i wouldn't stop. mother nature is pretty gross if you think about it. like i got worm poo in my fingernails... gross!!

:joint:

G

maxe said:
No shit! guano, manure, urine etc.....earthworm shit is ok

No premade stuff! - I'm not dissing premade organic fertilizers, that's just not what I want.

I will probably use stuff like kelp also unless I can find the same contents in something in a 100 yard radius

The more money I can save the better

I want to grow plants with plants - don't care what it's called =)

so getting back on topic, the gasses can be sourced from the air around you and the metals from a small patch of soil outside. if you just want a simple liquid fertiliser that will grow excellent plants, then comfrey will do the job better than anything.

muddy waters: now that is what i call a tea! can't see it getting better than that.

edit: i still can't get my hands on some nettles (pun intended). definitely something i want to try.

Last edited:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hello All,

I've been watchng this thread from afar, I must admit there is an emerging trend amongst agriculturalists to stop the use of ANY type of animal or human manure in their gardens, if the old saying is true "you are what you eat" then it stands to reason we are eating and smoking.....shit.

My old organic chem. prof tried to turn me on to this awhile ago and I am still not convinced there is any harm in using guanos or blood and bone meals or any other composted manure for that matter but I do think that using other plant species in the making of teas and soil ammendments is something we need to look into further.

If someone has a problem with human urine let me remind you the cows that make up the blood and bone meal are usually hormone boosted and fed with grains and grass fields that are often (not all but some) sprayed with septic waste or other forms of humanure mulch, that seems like splitting hairs to me, the cows are no healthier or purer at this point than we are. I've used urine before and it is a great fertilizer, personally I prefer coffee grounds or leftover teas for a good boost of N in my bubbled teas.

I don't feel this needs it's own forum however, it seems that there are various schools of though regarding organics are like Verite mentioned Biodynamics are a little far fetched in some of they're fundamental principles, I would like to have a few soil and tea recipe that get plants from start to finish without any animal or human waste products.

Peace
Suby

Last edited:
G

I've been putting plant matter into my biocultivator thing and it works so far. Let bacterias eat up the plant matter and whats left becomes part of the tea.

It should be easy enough to come up with a compost consisting soley of vegative matter, grass clippings always kick off a pile quickly. If you select your plants for the compost with regard for nutrient value then this should be no problem. I'm very much carnivore/omnivore so consumption of animal product is no issue with me but it is certainly avoidable these days for those with issues.

J.

zamalito

Veteran
One thing I think we are forgetting is there's a difference between fresh bat and seabird guano and FOSSILIZED bat and seabird guano. I'm not expert on the subject but I only use guanos that come from ancient beds. Of course this is a very limited resource but I'd assume that this guano is much less pathogenic than the fresher guanos. Correct me if I'm wrong.

here's an interesting link for folks following this thread . . .

http://essenes.net/new/veganferts.html

One thing I think we are forgetting is there's a difference between fresh bat and seabird guano and FOSSILIZED bat and seabird guano. I'm not expert on the subject but I only use guanos that come from ancient beds. Of course this is a very limited resource but I'd assume that this guano is much less pathogenic than the fresher guanos. Correct me if I'm wrong.

we're not sure if there's a difference in terms of pethogens or not . . . certainly fossilized guano can act as an "innoculant" to help provide a soil with beneficial bacteria etc? . . . can it not?

we haven't seen the same level of biological activity from highly aged guanos as we have from fresher guano . . . so there may be some minor differences between fossilized/aged/fresh guano in terms of their biological activity . . . but since bacterial are often known to survive long periods of time in soils . . . we'd assume that even fossilized guano could contain some pathogens . . .

in essence . . . there's really no escaping from pathogenic bacteria . . . they are out there in soils and being carried by critters etc . . . but they only become a problem in unbalanced ecosystems . . . in a healthy garden the good critters in the microherd will out compete the bad ones every time . . . if ya just give them the right conditions . . .

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in essence . . . there's really no escaping from pathogenic bacteria . . . they are out there in soils and being carried by critters etc . . . but they only become a problem in unbalanced ecosystems . . . in a healthy garden the good critters in the microherd will out compete the bad ones every time . . . if ya just give them the right conditions . . .

thank you :joint: