What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Experimental Organic Hydro Technique!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i edited my post above 2 show progress w/o hi-jacking

as anyone can see, there's plenty of vigor and color is good (the apparent yellowing at the tips in the day 16 pix is a lighting issue - all leaves are nice and green to the tip w/ no yellowing)

however, the grow is not w/o issue

while color and vigor are excellent, the plants lack thickness and are getting a little leggy - could be lighting (ambient sunlight supplemented w/ cfls)

here's my soil recipe:

base 2 parts coco coir 1 part EWC 1 part perlite

ammendments 2 tbs ea, greensand, kelp meal, bat guano all FF; and 2 tbs dried cooked ground eggshell 2 tbs epsom

nitrogen is provided w/ fish emulsion and recently supplemented w/ bat guano (hi N) compost. i run the fish emulsion and compost aerating as a tea in a bucket

Any suggestions as to the spindly nature of the plants?

This system is so much fun to build, I can't wait to start growing in it. Since I can't grow herb, what kind of legal plants would do well? Peppers seem good, but I would like to do tomatoes and I was wondering if I could adjust this system's pH down by using Espoma Tomato-tone in place of Plant Tone (don't have Biotone starter plus, I hope that's not a problem).

just read the whole thing. this is promising. off to rrog's and LL's threads for more info. Did anyone ever get pics of a bigger OBBT system?

Mt Toaker

I see its been a long while since there has been much discussion on this thread. . . Are OBBT's still kickin out there 2 years after this conversation began? I'm thinking about putting an OBBT in my new setup just to check it out since I've been so interested in it for a while and have yet to see first hand what it will do next to my soil garden.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Give it a go mate. I have seen good results with tomatoes and weed.

However i am now more interested in making all of my indoor grows no-till in beds. This way the organic microbes and fungi etc can really make themselves at home.

The obbt concept is a good one i think. Still might do a grow show between 2 equal size beds, one with air injection and one just no-till style with maybe a living mulch.

rrog

Veteran
No-till is what I'm headed toward also. Just no air pumping. When a plant is ready to be harvested, there is a complete super-highway network of fungi ready to go. So take advantage of this. Cut the old plant down at the base. Leave the roots. Cut a hole in the soil and insert your clone or seedling. It will immediately pick up where the old plant left off.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No-till is what I'm headed toward also. Just no air pumping. When a plant is ready to be harvested, there is a complete super-highway network of fungi ready to go. So take advantage of this. Cut the old plant down at the base. Leave the roots. Cut a hole in the soil and insert your clone or seedling. It will immediately pick up where the old plant left off.

Yup thats the plan stan.

I did my first harvest and immediate transplant yesterday. Also sprinkled chamomile and a good bug blend (coriander, red clover, calendula, etc) seeds all over the top.

rrog

Veteran
It's so cool you're doing that Surfer. Love the airpots you made also. I wish I could use them. Next house...