What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Caledonia

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Wonderful buds TexasTea :yummy: Excited to know your opinion about the pure sativa New Caledonia once she gets a bit of curing.
I finished mine and miss them a lot, ouch!

Looking so happy and healthy bluesat just starting the flowering and already looks promising!:)
A pleasure to see you are growing so many ACE lines, thank you so much! :yes:

Hi guys! I’ve been having issues with the New Caledonia, and was wondering if somebody can help out with it? I think it’s calcium/nitrogen deficiency, but I’m not too sure? All my other strains look healthy

Attachments

• photo2054976.jpg
    photo2054976.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 51
  • photo2054977.jpg
    photo2054977.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 51
  • photo2054978.jpg
    photo2054978.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 52
TexasTea

Thank you! It’s coco coir / perlite, mixed with a top dressing of the vegan mix by DTE (3-2-2), some organic earthworm castings, insect frass (3-2-4) and also some green waste (mulch)

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Hey man, I was doing something similar a few years ago and having troubles too...I think you will find that most of the folks on this forum are soil folks and are doing a mostly organic approach. That said, I think your problem is that you are trying to feed your plant in a sterile soil mix using organic products which are very slow to uptake the nutrients. Because you asked the question and are trying such a cool exotic strain I have to assume you are a true Seeker and trying to learn the ropes of growing. If so, welcome man, you are on the Path, and there needs to be more folks today looking for real info on the internet and trying to learn something instead of just buying shit. :)

Anyhow, if it were me and I was trying to save this plant, what I would do is think of your current plant as a starter from the nursery and transplant that into an organic soil mix right away. In a week most of your problems will magically correct themselves and you will start to have healthy new green growth. I would go to a local grow store or a good garden center and find a pre mixed soil mix such as Happy Frog or Ocean Forest which are distributed nationally. On the East Coast you can get Coast of Maine Stonington blend which is a super duper pre mix for folks starting out. You can add your castings and frass to those and your plants will be happy as clams. These would be "just add water mixes" for the next month and then you might want to give them some light feeding of other stuff until harvest. By then you will be gaining knowledge and folks here can help you along too.

I would spend a few weeks and read the huge 200 page organix thread which I cannot locate at the moment but will find if you want...will change your life as a grower and get you going on organic gardening in all respects. :)

Here is another good starter thread:

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuana-growing/organic-soil/48694-organics-for-beginners

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi CannabisKenta,

A pleasure to see you growing New Caledonia :) Thanks for your support!

Yeah i agree with TexasTea, the soil mix doesn't seem very appropiate. What's the ph of your soil mix, water and feedings ?
A soil mix composed only of coco fiber and perlite has no nutrients, that's why your plants are showing deficiencies just after passing seedling stage. I also would recommend to transplant as soon as possible to a rich soil mix mainly composed of high quality peat (70 %), coco fiber + perlite (20 %), worm casting (10 %), and a bit of guano for the flowering. The dressings and mulchs can help but you really need a high quality rich soil mix as a base.

bluesat

Wonderful buds TexasTea :yummy: Excited to know your opinion about the pure sativa New Caledonia once she gets a bit of curing.
I finished mine and miss them a lot, ouch!

Looking so happy and healthy bluesat just starting the flowering and already looks promising!:)
A pleasure to see you are growing so many ACE lines, thank you so much! :yes:

Dubi the pleasure is mine. thank you for everything you do!

26 days flowering.

Attachments

• photo2058393.jpg
    photo2058393.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 128
  • photo2058392.jpg
    photo2058392.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 120
  • photo2058391.jpg
    photo2058391.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 119
  • photo2058390.jpg
    photo2058390.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 126

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Looks great man. Taller than my smaller plant but flowers look familiar. How are the aromas?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Lovely update bluesat :kiss: She is still in early flowering stage, but looks really promising and healthy, and already forming nice spears!

The Zientist

Veteran
Dubi the pleasure is mine. thank you for everything you do!

26 days flowering.

Nice spear shaped buds. Those single leaflet leaves complement her tropical looks too!

I'm eager to see how yours turn out, they are looking quite promising for now. Can't wait to pop mine.

If I might, what lights are you using bluesat ?

bluesat

Looks great man. Taller than my smaller plant but flowers look familiar. How are the aromas?

Thanks! Not looking quite as happy now for a bunch of reasons but I’m working on it. She smells like sweet fruit. I definitely get the tropical description. Like tropical skittles. Enjoying the smoke?

Attachments

• photo2060923.jpg
    photo2060923.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 111
  • photo2060924.jpg
    photo2060924.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 107
  • photo2060925.jpg
    photo2060925.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 109

bluesat

Nice spear shaped buds. Those single leaflet leaves complement her tropical looks too!

I'm eager to see how yours turn out, they are looking quite promising for now. Can't wait to pop mine.

If I might, what lights are you using bluesat ?

Yes I love the look! Between the pests, humidity and heat I’m giving it a stress test this summer but I’m really excited for the smoke.

I veg under T5s. I used to always be a 600w air cooled hps guy but I currently use a kingbrite 480 watt led knock off quantum board. It’s 3500k and has the deep red, UV and IR supplementals. On one hand I like it so much I got another for my other closet but for me it’s also been a big learning curve. I was pretty naive about leds. 20 years growing in organic soil and I never even heard of calmag. Now I use organic calmag basically every watering. And I keep burning plants bc they look ok when they’re too close to the lights. I’m still learning clearly. But dimmable, no ballast, no bulbs, plug and play, less watts and heat. I also think there’s more potential for quality buds under led.

i popped four seeds and culled a hermie. here’s the two males I got. The taller one reminds me more of the female and it smells fruity too, unlike the floppier shorter male.

Attachments

• photo2060933.jpg
    photo2060933.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 64

romanoweed

They look great.
I find the look from this Region is somewhat similar to SE Asians (of course subjective). Its similar Region . Pretty pretty

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Nice Willi!

This is definitely a great smoke. My indica leaner is sweet smoking with a sour note in the finish. Makes me a little sleepy after awhile but very pleasant, especially as an evening smoke. My other one seems a bit clearer in effect but not as tasty yet. I think it will improve with more cure time.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
love how the colas are shaping after 38 days of flowering bluesat ;) and glad you are detecting the fruity candy scents that i hope this strain will be well known for.

Great development chilliwilli after 65 days of flowering :) How is the nose on her ? Do you keep clones of her for future grows ?

Glad you enjoying with the smoke coming from both New Caledonia versions TexasTea :smoke: I find the tropical sativa version perfect day time smoke to enhance everything. Some of these pure sativa phenos have ceiling-less effects. The hybrid version is also great during the day, but has more body to it.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
dubi yes i have the mothers of both females. And will run them again. 2 branches are already dusted with some balochistan#3 pollen:biggrin:. My late flowering ba#3 fem also got some nc pollen.

I can't tell much about the smell. In the development i got some nice fruity smells but in summertime with all the pollen flying around i can't smell much. I also think the temps in my grow room are too high for good aroma development. When its a warm day all day long i never get below 30°C, more 33ish most of the time.

Some buds looked weird after ~4 weeks after flip like TexasTea showed but i never saw any balls. Some pistill turned brown but i never saw seed development. Will update if i can find some seeds other than from the pollinated branches.

What i really liked about the nc in veg was the aggressive rooting. The pots were densly packed with fine roots but no ring roots.

The Zientist

Veteran
Yes I love the look! Between the pests, humidity and heat I’m giving it a stress test this summer but I’m really excited for the smoke.

I veg under T5s. I used to always be a 600w air cooled hps guy but I currently use a kingbrite 480 watt led knock off quantum board. It’s 3500k and has the deep red, UV and IR supplementals. On one hand I like it so much I got another for my other closet but for me it’s also been a big learning curve. I was pretty naive about leds. 20 years growing in organic soil and I never even heard of calmag. Now I use organic calmag basically every watering. And I keep burning plants bc they look ok when they’re too close to the lights. I’m still learning clearly. But dimmable, no ballast, no bulbs, plug and play, less watts and heat. I also think there’s more potential for quality buds under led.

i popped four seeds and culled a hermie. here’s the two males I got. The taller one reminds me more of the female and it smells fruity too, unlike the floppier shorter male.

Hey bluesat,

I understand how you feel, just recently I made the switch too. Regarding Ca/Mg supplementation, for organic soil I would suggest using one of the following Calcium rich amendments, depending on what you are able to source:
-Oyster shell flour
-Limestone (it goes by several names depending on the actual mineral ratio and rock source)

I would go for the oyster if you could, it has residual chitin which can be pretty beneficial for the soil microbiology. You can either mix these with the soil before planting or you could top dress as needed. I always tend to be more proactive than reactive, and I would suggest doing the same. I've also used the "novel" organic Ca/Mg liquid ferts (eg. Biobizz), but its way more efficient, practical and cost effective to use the one's I've summarized before.

I have already assembled the soil for the next few rounds, it was an adapted version of a well know organic living soil (Coot's mix). I will give my New Caledonia a try pretty soon, a full cycle dedicated just for them! I had planned to go for the Thai Chi that I have in the fridge, but after seeing you guys already popping those New Caledonian gems,I just can't wait. It's a pleasure to see you growing them.

dubi , I've recently spoke with a few friends that are from New Caledonia. We've had long conversations about everything cannabis over there. When I showed them the pictures of your New Caledonia (I) offer, they instantly recognized it as being what's locally called "pakalolo". There are other varieties that are grown in the islands over there, like Bat, Duckpat (Duckfoot in french), Mango and a few others, and more recently many hybrids between the old varieties of the islands and NA's finest. Mind my spelling here. :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Latest posts