What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Caledonia and Zamaldelica x Kullu on the Chernozem

yoss33

Veteran
ZamKullu
ZamKullu

ZamKullu

ZamKullu

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you, Dubi! May your wishes come back to you! :)

After 2 sunny weeks with several afternoon storms.

New Caledonia, almost 3 meters tall.
New Caledonia

New Caledonia

ZamKullu, which has the wide Zam mother branching:
ZamKullu

ZamKullu

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
3 meters already ?! :trampoline: damn, they are going to be huge when the flowering starts!
Did you consider to prune the New Caledonia to make her grow wider ? Or do you prefer its current structure in case there are later strong winds and rains ? The ZamKullu is a beast!

yoss33

Veteran
I like to let the plants grow untopped in order to see their natural shape... or rather the shape they express in these outdoor spots.
We are now in the summer droughts that usually continue till the first days of September, so the plants might not grow much bigger before flowering starts... let's see.

New Caledonia
New Caledonia

New Caledonia

New Caledonia

New Caledonia

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
yeah i agree yoss33 first time i grow a new strain (especially new landraces) i also like to grow the genetics untopped and not defoliated to appreciate better its natural growth pattern. Do you assist the plants with water during the weeks of drought ?

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you for the interest, people!
I've been watering each spot (big plant) with about 20-30 litres 2-3 times per week. Heats are coming, so I'm now trying to water more, mainly because of the small tester plants of this-year seeds that have now sprouted around the 2 big plants but are still very small. All 4 Zam x New Caledonia seeds sprouted and are the most vigorous. 4 Zam x ZamKullu also sprouted and perhaps will continue to sprout as I planted in the ground more than 10 seeds. Only 1 Kullu x ZamKullu sprouted and none Purple Mexican x ZamKullu. I think some snails/slugs are to blame because I've seen a few sprouts that had disappeared on my next visits and there are these shiny tracks on the soil around.

yoss33

Veteran
A few photos of the ZamKullu plant that a friend is growing next to his small vineyard.
ZamKullu

ZamKullu

ZamKullu

yoss33

Veteran
New Caledonia, delicious fruity-and-a-whiff-of-solvents smell of the preflowers' resin.
New Caledonia - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0795.JPG Views:	0 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	17909890

New Caledonia - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0797.JPG Views:	0 Size:	194.2 KB ID:	17909891

ZamKullu,love its sweet flowery smell when you are close to the plant and how green it is, absolutely no sign of purple/red. The newer leaves have somewhat blueish hint and Kullu's deep leaf "veins".
ZamKullu - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0792.JPG Views:	0 Size:	190.6 KB ID:	17909892

ZamKullu - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0798.JPG Views:	0 Size:	188.7 KB ID:	17909893

ZamKullu - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0800.JPG Views:	0 Size:	186.9 KB ID:	17909894

ZamKullu - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0801.JPG Views:	0 Size:	178.6 KB ID:	17909895

ZamKullu - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0803.JPG Views:	0 Size:	187.9 KB ID:	17909896

ZamKullu - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0805.JPG Views:	0 Size:	180.9 KB ID:	17909897

ZamKullu - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0799_cr.JPG Views:	0 Size:	124.1 KB ID:	17909898

yoss33

Veteran
The ZamKullu is starting to flower. Same with the other 2 ZamKullus grown by friends. It seems the cross to the Kullu male kept the Zamal(delica) strong semi-autoflowering that translates to earlier start of flowering of big outdoor plants.
ZamKullu

ZamKullu

ZamKullu

ZamKullu

ZamKullu

ZamKullu

ZamKullu