What's new

New amended oraganic mix, thoughts?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Jerry

Here's my set-up, basically: a vermicompost reactor (flow-through) and that material is straight-up vermicompost. I 'believe' that it's close to a 65/35 worm casting/compost mix. That's for the indoor plants, seed germination mix, i.e. where you would not want any unprocessed material.

I'm up to 5 #65 SmartPots filled with aged horse manure with kelp, rice hulls, glacial rock dust, crab meal and neem meal. Those I tag with the fill date and when I need 'compost' material for the raised beds (top-dressing Comfrey or Borage leaves and branches), etc. I start pulling from the first bin filled - duh!

There is usually enough worms & cocoons in these bins to warrant harvesting and adding them to the vermicompost reactor.

System needs tweaking but it's doing pretty well for me without any trips to Home Depot or Lowe's.

O

OrganicOzarks

Ozarks; Were these compost teas that you added the guano to? If so you should do a control where you just use guano to water. And run a parrallel with ACT without guano. If you have aleady done this then tell us. One can only draw certain conclusions on cause and effect if there are parallels and controls in place.

Humans are easily fooled and without this practice something could be missed, like maybe you are using a different brewer than before, slightly different [vermi]compost, a better aerated soil, a larger container, new lights, more sun, etc. etc. Once one has paralleled every conceivable variable then some hypotheses can be formed. I'm not saying you have not done this.

As part of my dry ingredients that go into my teas I use guano. Along with compost, and some other things. I have also just used guano slurry's. The tea with Guano as one ingredient got twice the yield than just a guano slurry did. I am using the same lights, soil mix, brewer, etc. Honestly this is not conclusive, and may be just an anomaly. I will do a better test once I have the time. But it was surprising to say the least. Even conclusive science is only conclusive until it is no longer conclusive.:)

O

OrganicOzarks

I gotta say that the shit that is being discussed in the organic forum is just getting better, and better.

I love this place.

Latest posts

Latest posts