What's new

New 8KW stealth Coco chip grow!

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
Great, thanks for the info! I think I'll just go with the regular coco, sounds better suited to my setup, plus the bug part. What kind of pests were invading the chips?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Oh, and the sand seems to have stopped the gnats! I had some adults flying around the pots the last few days (adults like 6-8 days) and now I don't see one.

I do see some very small spiders crawling on some sand caps though, they might be spider mites but they aren't going on the plants, except the 2 lemon thais! I pulled them out of the garden so they don't infect others, but it sure is weird.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Great, thanks for the info! I think I'll just go with the regular coco, sounds better suited to my setup, plus the bug part. What kind of pests were invading the chips?

Fungus gnats and some root aphids. SM-90 and 35% peroxide killed off the aphids, but it took a layer of sand to kill the gnat larvae. I just got a # of Gnatrol WDG too, in case I have a problem in the future, woot!

hdn155

i just confirmed some root aphids on a few of my plants last night. read some about them and it really freaked me out. you say sm90 and 35% peroxide took care of em? is that 35% peroxide the humboldt stuff thats really hard to find?

L~B

You see really there is only one problem with ICMag no matter how many threads you read you still miss some!!!

sick thread keep up the good work yo!!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
i just confirmed some root aphids on a few of my plants last night. read some about them and it really freaked me out. you say sm90 and 35% peroxide took care of em? is that 35% peroxide the humboldt stuff thats really hard to find?

Yeah I freaked too man, but my old mentor calmed me down.

3 Ml per gallon SM-90
2ML per gallon 35% H2o2 (get from hydro shop or online), or use 3% equivalent

That will kill everything in your pots, but the chance for reinfection is high, so repeat 4 days later.

If you still have bugs after 4 days, add a 1/2" layer of sand on top of your pots!

If you still have bugs after that, well, I might suggest the isopropyl alcohol drench.

If that fails, fuck, toss the pots and start over.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
You see really there is only one problem with ICMag no matter how many threads you read you still miss some!!!

Yep no kidding, I wish I had time to absorb all of the knowledge that runs freely around these parts!

Thanks for the K+ and the encouragement bro, much appreciated and welcome!

hdn155

and just do a soil drench? im hand watering 200 sea of green under 4k kinda sucks that about h202 becuz im big on the microbes. but if that what it take to kill these bastards then so be it.

E

Eminem

yeah what he said

Good grow Lazyman.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hey HDN, I believe the peroxide won't kill all of your microbes, probably just the anaerobic (bad) ones, but don't quote me on that! Hard to tell without a microscope really.

Yes, perlite would work just as well as sand, might need to be a bit thicker. I've been avoiding perlite like the plague this year, just too hard to dispose of lots of it.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Well last night sucked. Got home and found one end of my light beam (18' 4X4 that holds up 4 lights, suspended from a couple pulleys) sitting on the plants! Lights had been on for two hours, no idea how long they'd been resting on top of the babies. I would have snapped some pics but that wasn't my biggest concern, of course.

Got it all fixed and back up in ten minutes, but 5 Jock Horrors were burnt to a crisp (black!) and 5 more in the next tray got pretty heavily damaged.

Turned out that one of the pulleys broke, pulled the metal right through the socket! They were rated for 500# but I think they lied. I put in a 1000# pulley and put a chain around the other end in case it fails too.

I figure ten plants times 1.5 oz each, cost me about 15 oz of weed. Most expensive pulley I ever bought. Oh well, it works out to be less than 10% of my harvest, but still freakin sucks. The Jock Horrors are some of the prettiest plants, fat, bushy and green, lots of bud and budsites on every one. Figures huh? Only saving grace is I always have the smallest plants in the middle, right under the light so the biggest ones didn't get hurt.

Other than that all is well, added gnatrol to both reservoirs since I still saw a few gnats. Figure I'll let it run a few days then change the tanks this weekend. Time to start adding additives and such. Did a foliar with purple maxx and Gravity the other day, they seemed to like it.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Ouch! Made in China?

LOL, yeah probably, stupid POS! Hopefully I can put something in that is more solid on my upcoming breakdown, but it's up to the landlord if he'll stop the inspections at my place. If not, well, guess I need to move.

G

grow nerd

Ouch, that sucks about the pulley system... my condolences. :-(

Gimme a shout if ya need, I'm always around the corner.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Thanks Grow Nerd, much appreciated! Yeah I think it's ok now, always figured the rope would break before the pulley, never even crossed my mind. How's things on your end?

burnedout

Well that friggin sucks!! Sorry to hear Lazy. Sounds like it could have been worse though. How far away from harvest are you?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Well that friggin sucks!! Sorry to hear Lazy. Sounds like it could have been worse though. How far away from harvest are you?

Hey bro, thanks very much, yeah I consider myself very lucky not to have come home to a fire truck and cops. Scary shit. No idea how I could know about it sooner, with all the ventilation I doubt my smoke detector even went off. I guess just doubling-up on solutions for anything that COULD go wrong?

I'm about 3 weeks out I think, I hate bringing up an indoor crop when all the outdoor is hitting the market, but what can you do? ;) :smoke: How about you man, what's new in your world?

Oddly enough, another Eye Hortilux MH bulb took the opportunity to shit itself last night at the same time as my little mini-disaster, that makes 4 out of 8 that died on the digital ballasts in less than 6 months. Popped in my last new HPS spare (love the swappability!) and have it burning away. Next run everything gets a new Ushio.