What's new

New 400w hydro grow!

What's up guys! I recently moved into a new place so my growing has been on hold. But today I received some goodies in the mail:) my last grow I was using CFL. On this grow my equipment is

Sun system air cooled reflector

Hurricane 6" inline fan

Galaxy ballast

400w hps from ultra sun

Gonna be growing in x2 10 gallon Rubbermaid. With 3" net pots and hydroton rocks.

X2 big bud / x2 northern lights.

I'm excited to start this grow :) if anyone has any pointers feel free!!

2mq53ih.jpg

vmzog6.jpg

w8q4ps.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 6

blooper

looks like fun. big bud was part of my first grow. definite yielder but it was a pretty grassy smoke if i remember correctly. i'm interested to see how yours turns out. good luck!

looks like fun. big bud was part of my first grow. definite yielder but it was a pretty grassy smoke if i remember correctly. i'm interested to see how yours turns out. good luck!

So I've heard! I don't even know if it's gonna germinate though. I mean only been 24 hours but no signs.

I'm gonna hang Mylar tonight. I did a tempature check last night after running for about 3 hours it stayed a stead 75.4f and 47% humidity.

Do these numbers sound about right?

blooper

should be fine. not sure if mold is a problem in your area but you might want to bring the humidity down a bit to flower

should be fine. not sure if mold is a problem in your area but you might want to bring the humidity down a bit to flower

Nope not to bad around here. Is super hot during the day right now. But when fall hits everything should drop right down. We have pretty cold winters.

Snow Crash

Veteran
That UltraSun is a really low quality bulb. You're going to see better results running something a little better designed for your ballast. I've been getting good harvests from Digilux lamps but they burn out kind of often... Ushio's are a good choice as well.

I'm going to also recommend a 6" phresh filter. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'll take that into a consideration!!

Also I just planted them into the rockwool. My room is 76 degrees, 50% humidity. My water temp is 78:( what can I so to perfect these?

Meison

Water should be at 70 lights on, or lower. Over 21C (past 70F) water becomes a nice place for bacteria to thrive!

Snow Crash

Veteran
Not really...

You can wrap your tubs in that mylar bubblewrap insulation which will help keep the ambient heat out. But your pumps are pushing warm air into the water. It's one of those things that I think a lot of hydroponic gardeners underestimate when they get into this.

A combination of regular cool water top offs and the use of an enzyme product or hygrozyme from the start tends to help for smaller operations. Warm water has less dissolved O2 capacity, and is a hospitable environment for anerobic bacteria. If you can keep the bacteria away then even with high temperatures you won't see too much of an issue.

Start clean and stay clean, do what you can to frequently add cool water to keep the water level dialed, and things should work out okay. Just be aware that water temperature control is a major component of an effective hydroponic grow.

Not really...

You can wrap your tubs in that mylar bubblewrap insulation which will help keep the ambient heat out. But your pumps are pushing warm air into the water. It's one of those things that I think a lot of hydroponic gardeners underestimate when they get into this.

A combination of regular cool water top offs and the use of an enzyme product or hygrozyme from the start tends to help for smaller operations. Warm water has less dissolved O2 capacity, and is a hospitable environment for anerobic bacteria. If you can keep the bacteria away then even with high temperatures you won't see too much of an issue.

Start clean and stay clean, do what you can to frequently add cool water to keep the water level dialed, and things should work out okay. Just be aware that water temperature control is a major component of an effective hydroponic grow.

I actually just switched to a deeper 10 gallon darker tub. And it dropped about 2 degrees. Stays around 70 when lights are on. Best I can do lol. I figure if I just monitor everything and like you said keep a clean environment shouldn't have a problem!

So my ph values are jumping a lot!!! I get home around 5pm every day get it to about 5.8 and when I get home the next day it's up around 7.1/7.3 there a reason for this? My seedlings are about a week old.

br26

Are you using calibration solution frequently to check your meter? Storage solution?

Your temp is fine. Fusarium and other pathogens crave iron and available nutrients. The availability for pathogenic species to access iron decreases with less acidity. As the pH goes up, the equilibrium for available Fe3+ becomes bound with OH- to form Fe(OH)3. Long story short, if you have higher temps for dwc, the less pathogens will form with a pH of as high as one can healthily grow a plant in the acidic range.

Are you using calibration solution frequently to check your meter? Storage solution?

Your temp is fine. Fusarium and other pathogens crave iron and available nutrients. The availability for pathogenic species to access iron decreases with less acidity. As the pH goes up, the equilibrium for available Fe3+ becomes bound with OH- to form Fe(OH)3. Long story short, if you have higher temps for dwc, the less pathogens will form with a pH of as high as one can healthily grow a plant in the acidic range.

Yea I zero it out to 7.0 in the solution before every check. Not sure why jumping so much. My water temps seem to be stable at 69 degrees . But worried about the ph. The meter is new, so don't think it's a meter problem

RVD420

Another idea to help cope with rez temps is to use an old small dorm style fridge, and located the air pumps inside the fridge. You will have to put a couple of homes in the fridge and caulk them up, but it is a cheap and easy way to drop the rez temps by about 5 degrees F

Another idea to help cope with rez temps is to use an old small dorm style fridge, and located the air pumps inside the fridge. You will have to put a couple of homes in the fridge and caulk them up, but it is a cheap and easy way to drop the rez temps by about 5 degrees F

I don't run a separate Rez tank. Running a dwc system, seems I got the temp under control. Just need to figure out ph

br26

If you use tap water, it will generally go up in pH after you let it sit. Faster you aerate it, the quicker the Cl2 gas will evaporate out. I always , always , always show an increase of 0.3 to 0.4 of pH post aeration. This is a substantial amount that could influence what you are seeing.

Your ladies could be using more nutes than water as well. Check ppms to see how things are also fluctuating. If ppms drop and water remains near constant, you can assume that the soluble nutrient proportion to water has diminished. Resulting in higher pH.

Latest posts

Latest posts