What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nevils Haze outdoor at 43 degrees

bestothebest

I realize that Nevils Haze is a ~16 week sativa, and will normally never have a chance at 43 degrees. I have thought of a method to try, and want to know what you guys think. Start the Nevils Haze seeds on 4/20 with the rest of my outdoor crop. However, when everything else gets put under 15.5/8.5, the Nevils Haze will be under 24/0. I will put the Nevils Haze outside on June 21, the solstice. The light outdoor is 15 to 16 hours. The eight hours less will send it into flower, and flower will continue until finish due to continuous light decrease, hopefully before frost in early november. Let me know if this idea might allow it to finish at my latitude.

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I highly doubt she will flower before the natural light cycle hit 12/12.

You won't know unless you try though!

One way to get them done is to put them out and then bring them back inside to finish just before frost.

Best of luck!

CannaFunk

Preflower Indoors in Order to speed up the processes.

Preflower Indoors in Order to speed up the processes.

Why not start it earlier than 4/20...say 2/20, Veg under 24 or 18/6 and preflower it indoors with a 13/11, 12/12, 11/13 not sure what would be optimal, and place outside as your night time increases, perhaps put it out first week of July.

The main thing I would do is give it a substantial Veg Time Indoors to get its structure where you want it and make sure you get here throwing her hairs before she goes out, let her stretch outside, flower and finish.

Not sure if Nevilles Haze likes training but that would be a way to Veg her longer indoors and keep Height down.

Greenhouse or Inside for Finish as was suggested as well.

From its description I would love Nevilles Haze and I could grow and finish it outdoors here, Im looking to grow some Haze and Malawi down here:)

From what I hear from my oldtimer gardening buddy, it can be donein the North, might not be optimal, but as good of smoke as you ever had according to him....

Pulling a Haze early isn't going to be the worst high :biggrin:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I would think that it will reveg on you, many people tarping sativas will keep tarping until around sept 21st or longer to avoid reveging, I might suggest either many smaller plants and tarp or the same plant tarped but scroged or lst'd something to keep in shorter to make tarping easier and start tarping as soon as you plant it out depending on your weather in the fall, would be a pain but worth while to finish with warm temperatures and strong sun imo.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I don't think it works like you want it to/think it does. . Normally outdoor plants don't trigger flowering until they get less than 14 hours per day of light (end of first week- beginning of second week of August). But the haze genetics may be different because of their heritage(more akin to an equatorial "sativa") and your plan may work. Only one way to find out. :biggrin:

EDIT : Pretty sure though, if you put it out in June and tarp it daily until mid-August, it will be able to finish in time.

Emeraldo

I realize that Nevils Haze is a ~16 week sativa, and will normally never have a chance at 43 degrees. I have thought of a method to try, and want to know what you guys think. Start the Nevils Haze seeds on 4/20 with the rest of my outdoor crop. However, when everything else gets put under 15.5/8.5, the Nevils Haze will be under 24/0. I will put the Nevils Haze outside on June 21, the solstice. The light outdoor is 15 to 16 hours. The eight hours less will send it into flower, and flower will continue until finish due to continuous light decrease, hopefully before frost in early november. Let me know if this idea might allow it to finish at my latitude.

How did that work out for you bestothebest ?

Growing a 16-week Nevil's haze at northern latitudes outdoors presents challenges. It's the main reason we see so many haze/indica hybrids promising earlier flowering. But growing a pure or nearly pure haze is worth the effort and patience. First challenge is day-length, and how to jumpstart flowering by shortening the natural light period artificially. Second is the cold, the dropping temperatures of October and November and December, since these slow and long flowering pure sativa strains can easily flower into Winter. Fortunately, the late flowering strains often can handle the cold, and a greenhouse (with heating if possible) can allow them to finish. Bringing a nearly ripe haze indoors to finish at a sunny window in December is also an option. I'm at 47 degrees and successfully grew a hybrid of Nevil's Haze x G13, an 11-weeker that started flowering in mid-September finished in a heated greenhouse in late November, my first time harvesting in the snow!

This year I'd like to try to grow a 15-weeker, Ace's Purple Haze x Malawi, at 47 degrees. Ace's Super Malawi Haze might finish in a greenhouse as well.

It's a challenge. 🤔 More later... Good luck all!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts