What's new

Never had an N defic. in middle flower, but...

Manitoid

over time you can stop feeding and just become a mulcher and a harvester.

:yeahthats:muahaha::yoinks:

i almost got aroused thinking about it.

Part of your "only adding mulch" is top dressing with things plants need? or really just only ever adding diversity to decompose.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i prefer to go with the diversity, the soil/plant knows what it needs. though i used to be on the boat where i would feed the plant what i wanted to feed it. guess i got tossed off that ship lol.

compost

how are you calibrating it? how close is the sensor to the drip?

in my #15 pots, I use three sensors. I put the sensor closer to the center of the pot, and I let the drip fall close to the edge.

I water heavy right before I put them in. I then screw it shut until it isn't dripping at all. Then I tighten it 2 more notches.

mad librettist

Veteran
well there is your problem. Loosen them up if it's too dry! I like to wet the soil, then tighten them just shy of dripping a bit. Also try making the drip line farther from the sensor.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mulch as food - this is how nature feeds soil. It is really that simple! Mulch is broken down by organisms and the tiny little bits of organic matter work their way down.
think of it as a cycle. when you top dress with more mulch or material. like mad says the microbes break it down, when you water the soluble and chelated nutrients go down in to the soil where the rest of the biology or plant can use it.

My work here is done....

S

Stankie

just provide the deli, the plant can order its own sandwiches

Organics is like dropping a plant off at a buffet and letting it eat all it wants. Chemical/hydro is like strapping a plant down, strapping open it's throat, and force feeding it what food one thinks it needs..... If one knows how the French make foie gras, just think that's what all these chemi guys are doing to their plants.

OPT

I'm having a very similar issue to this with what looks to be lack of Nitrogen halfway through flower. While the issues are only being seen on my biggest fan leaves at the bottom, I wonder if it is indeed the correct time for the plant to begin to yellow in my mix or not....

I do admit, a couple times over the course of there lives I have let them dry out a tad too much but I didn't think it was overly bad by any means.

My mix contains:

Pro-mix Ultimate organic
Perlite
Worm castings
dolomite lime
alfalfa meal
bone meal
kelp meal
Soft Rock Phosphate
Ground Oyster shell
A tad of Gypsum

It seems like quite a complete mix in my opinion so this yellowing at day 36 is concerning me a little.

I too use 3 gallon smart pots, with a layer of wood chips for mulch that I got from Home Depot...I water approx. every 3 days now, I've used solubable myco fungi twice in the entire cycle, as well as an occasional tea now and again, and while my plants look good from the middle up, I worry that they won't reach there full potential because of the lack of nitrogen they are showing now.

After reading some of the above posts, I hope the problem lies from letting my pots get too dry.

Another thing I'm a little baffled about is this is my first time using smart pots, and I'm not getting a ton of roots growing threw the sides or the bottom, and I wonder why. I feel my mix is airy enough to allow maximum root penetration, but why is it not? hmmmm

Lastly, I know it depends on the plant, but generally when does one expect a plant to "naturally" yellow at the end of flowering? I mean day 36 doesn't seem to bad if you have plants that are done in 50-55 days, but I think mine will go at least 65-70, and I'd really hate to hurt the yield and quality department if it was something that I can fix.

I did give a couple of them a light top dressing of worm castings yesterday when I watered them, but I've yet to see any improvement, nor any additional problems....

Maybe I'm worrying a little too much about it?

OPT

mad librettist

Veteran
I don't think the roots are supposed to grow through the pots, just branch when they hit it instead of circling.

wood chips- I would use them for asparagus outside, but not for cannabis or veggies. Not sure I would use them on cannabis inside either.

hit your plants up with some EWC and some neptunes to hit reset.

OPT

I guess I kinda worded it wrong, it's not like normal wood chips, it's bagged stuff that is originally used for top mulch/decorative...and I'm fairly sure this isn't the problem.

Basically It's just hard to tell the correct time when they should yellow vs. yellowing too early. Is there any tell tale signs that your getting Nitrogen depletion too quick vs. there being too much nitrogen too late in flowering?

OPT