What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

net pot size affect yield?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wondering guys,

does net cup size do anything to affect growth / yields?

my thought was always, that the net cup just supports the plant, and does nothing more?

any thoughts?

Homebrewer

Veteran
The optimal pot size one chooses to use should be correlated to the size of the plant one intends to grow. I think it also depends on the system one is growing in. DWC is less prone to 'pot size issues' compared to say ebb & flow systems where the pot basically houses the entire root ball.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Yes it does..Side by side..5 gallon pots..hydroton..recycling system..did 6 with the net pot type lids..all 6 plants where smaller than the rest of the room...I really wanted to use less hydroton..

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
The optimal pot size one chooses to use should be correlated to the size of the plant one intends to grow. I think it also depends on the system one is growing in. DWC is less prone to 'pot size issues' compared to say ebb & flow systems where the pot basically houses the entire root ball.
Not sure I follow? DWC roots are still just in one pot? right?

Homebrewer

Veteran
Not sure I follow? DWC roots are still just in one pot? right?
When I experimented with DWC (single site, air pot in a 4 gallon bucket), my roots were not confined to the net pot. They grew out and down into the res water. In ebb and flow (flood table set-up), the roots got air-pruned creating less of a root ball making the 'pot size' much more important given the size of the plant.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, If I can explain more..

I have the rain-forest, but as anyone knows, cleaning hydroton is a bitch, and I put that simply.. also coming from peat which just get's dumped, I want a very easy simple solution..

so I thought to decrease swearing I would bump the 6 inch pots for 2 inch pots.. thus decreasing the amount of hydroton to clean / pick through

the problem I find with hydro, and actually any hobby is.. clean up is a bitch, and hydro being potential for long clean up times given the amount of parts to scrub / clean vs. in soil you really don't even need to clean the pot before use again, or if so, the 4 walls ( square pot ) is very easy to take a hose to..

thanks guys, any else with there experience

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes it does..Side by side..5 gallon pots..hydroton..recycling system..did 6 with the net pot type lids..all 6 plants where smaller than the rest of the room...I really wanted to use less hydroton..

sorry paladin, I don't follow.. my question is, what were the other plants in?

thanks

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Full 5 gallons of hydroton..Same everything else.. just put the lids with the built-in net pots on 5 gallon buckets,hoping (just as you are) that we could use less hydroton..the plants where smaller in the net pot vs the plain 5

NuKreashuns

I start my cuts in 3" net pots. I then take that set up and drop them into 2 gallon buckets. The explosion in size when put into the 2 gallons would suggest that roots appreciate the extra room provided. I have not flowered in the 3" pots but I dont think my cannopy would provide enough coverage for the roots to expand.

I have done DWC and that is my choice by far(soon developing a new eco sustaining style buckets)

But here is waht you need to know when thinking about net pots.

I will relate it to DWC grows more so then flood styles.
(I feel DWC is a kind of Over flowing table of food for plants, and they take what they need/want, where at floor styles COULD pose risk of plants using up all stored nutrients in the air/water during the drain cycle)

If your going Organic hydro.. Net Pot is VERY important for beneficial microbes...
So It would be advised to use a larger net pot with LAVA ROCKs over Hydroton.

But if your using Non-Organic means of growing plants... then I like to kinda stay away from the large net pots. I use a 3.75inch net pot right now on my current setup.

I believe its the optimal size for the style I am using.

Find your style my friend and youll learn what pot to use for you.

cheers

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Full 5 gallons of hydroton..

JESUS, are you serious?

and I'm bitching over like, 12 handfuls of hydroton.

what clean up must be for you.....

thanks other people above ^ for contributing, very helpful.

I just think with anything in life, simple is best, and I saw that sort of in peat/coco being easy cleanup as I mentioned. I also think something of value means cleanup being easy, and simple, and I don't find hydroton to fit that bill, but I find everything else in hydro to be simpler then soil...

JESUS, are you serious?

and I'm bitching over like, 12 handfuls of hydroton.

what clean up must be for you.....

thanks other people above ^ for contributing, very helpful.

I just think with anything in life, simple is best, and I saw that sort of in peat/coco being easy cleanup as I mentioned. I also think something of value means cleanup being easy, and simple, and I don't find hydroton to fit that bill, but I find everything else in hydro to be simpler then soil...

ya.. only way i like to deal with my hydroton is in a large ass tut.. with a hose lol... and my custom strainer I made out of a 5gal bucket, makes rinsing it a breeze :-D
Shit i use hydroton more with mycology then I do botany lol

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I think you should experiment with a 10" netpot. I threw away my 6" netpot bucket lids because I would not want to even give them away. I tried them for the exact same reason, cleaning hydroton sucks but the plants in them and their root mass was much smaller than the one in the ten inch netpot. I am assuming that the Rainforst is a DWC system, sorry if I am wrong.

5th

Veteran
I think you should experiment with a 10" netpot.

I've some clones bubbling away right now. One is going to go into a 10" with the rest of my hydroton so I can use up the last of that horse shit.

A second is going to go into a 6" netpot with 50% of the pot cut away to allow for more/larger roots to grow through...no medium. Just a custom 6" neoprene insert to hold the clone 'till she grows enuff of a trunk I can afix some screws to the sides of the lid to help support her.

Fuck hydroton.

Many months ago I remember reading a thread here...don't remember exact title.

There were pics posted by one grower of two inch net pots that held two inch stems/trunks!!!
And his small pots weren't the only ones with such results!

thinkin

net pot size

net pot size

Been pondering this for awhile.

Been getting solid yields with big net pots in small rezs.
Like to use a low profile rez but, hard to change whats been working well. So.. I've been reluctant to experiment. Glad to see this topic being discussed. Thanks for bring it up.

On sites, I've seen HUGE plants in tiny net pots. Definitely grown by some skilled green thumbs.

Unproven Theories but seem logical:

Under Ideal (oxygen maxed and fully supported) conditions, net pot size shouldn't matter in DWC.

If the water/hydro's oxygen level is low, larger net pot will concentrate the roots over the airstone. Air bubbles are concentrated inside the net pot. Increasing the oxygen content. Smaller net pot yield will be lower.

Large vs Small and Stability .... As long as the plant doesn't fall over, net pot size shouldn't matter. But unsupported in smaller net pot, plant will be easier to knock over. Resulting in damaging the plant.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
You can always hammer a 5/8s laundry basket to the bottom of the lid and hope for the best. ;)

d4nk

river rocks are an interesting alternative to hydroton. extremely easy to clean and reuse since roots do not grow into them like they do hydroton. also much heavier if you are concerned with your plants flopping over.