What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Negril, Jamaica (Dec 2012) Quick Field Report

lovekush®

Cannapioneer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey, Mon.

Ease of acquisition:
10 of 10 (Easy as blinking your eyes)
Disclaimer: marijuana consumption is illegal in Jamaica and penalties are stiff. This write up was done for reference purposes only. :D
If you are looking in Negril and can't find any, wait ten minutes more. It -will- find you. I was in town for, literally, about 18 minutes.

Appearance:
3-8 of 10 (Wide range)
You'll find everything from fresh cuts to bricked crap. I didn't touch the bricked stuff because the 'unmolested' stuff was readily available. Indica/Sativa hybrids, to full blown Sativa samples.
(Pics here are of hybrid variety)

Quality:
7 of 10 (Let me explain)
I gave it a relatively high mark for quality, because, my expectations weren't that high. I was impressed, though, with the appearance, variety, and quality available. It wasn't pressed, tainted, (de-seeded.....but honestly, not bad to do. MAYBE 5 seeds total in a half zip)

Price:
8-10 of 10
Depends who, and where you get it from, but, it ranges from 80-120USD per half zip.

Selection:
10 of 10.
From sativas, to hybrids, to mushrooms, to charas/finger hash, and harder stuff, one can't complain about the variety. There's something for everyone. Even edibles, and teas.

Photos

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=41581&pictureid=983423&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=41581&pictureid=983424&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Yeah, Mon. No Problem.

-Cap

friend I have been to Negril in 2004 as he stepped from the plane had already marijuana .... If you go to the properties of the family "tosh" (peter tosh, the wailers) you will find a good ganja and ottimal prize.. as well as the heavenly places!

Attachments

• 20130114_152610.jpg
    20130114_152610.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20130114_152624.jpg
    20130114_152624.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20130114_152849.jpg
    20130114_152849.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20130114_152713.jpg
    20130114_152713.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20130114_152700.jpg
    20130114_152700.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 11

bigAl25

Veteran
Been there 15 times. Love all locations, but Negril is our favorite and want to return as soon as the funds are available. Peace and respect MON, Everything is IRIE. Give me a ting and red stripe, then find some friendly rastas. Yes you do get hasseled but in time you learn how to deal with it. Reggae forever. Yeah and the jerk chicken is to die for, it's that good.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Ah, The Lure of Throbbing Bass and Swaying Bodies.. Winding and Twirling to the Reggae Beat..

Dancehall Rappers all over the Stage, flamboyantly decrying The State of Jamaican Culcha as it is..! The Gang Life. The watching of People flaunting wealth on a poverty-stricken Rock. The uncaring Government. Persecution of Rastas. Cocaine and Weapons taking their toll on a Beautiful Island that they call Paradise. Extreme Violence on a Daily Basis in some areas. Planes bringing more Snowbirds in Daily, to Dally around Heavily-Chlorinated Azure Pools surrounded by Barbed-Wire, surrounded by Armed Guards..

Welcome to JA, You are a long way from home, now.

I Love Jamaican Culture, except some of the psychological foibles.

But,
to me, as an ex-Travel Agent for 8 years, who has seen people come and go to and
from JA.. Getting hassled is not ok..

Do We travel to raise our Blood Pressure....? No of course not..

Travelling to JA with an attractive Female..? Prepare for insults... Many people report Nasty Harassment of a general and Graphic nature, as soon as they
leave the resort compound. It can get extreme.

I prefer to go to spots where things are not
so Pointlessly Wild, like in JA. Places where people adopt you as a
fellow traveller. Not a source of income. The Lovely Island is intense
politically, and not in a bid to ban Plastic Bags, or GMO's...

It seems consierably more logical to spend the very few Vacation Days that most People are Allocated in Countries with less
institutionalized racism, and lower murder rates. JA is in the top 3 on Earth per capita in gun-deaths.

Compared to that sort of tension, remaining Home for a Staycation is easy when this is your area------------------------------------------------------------>

But, as a visitor to JA,
One has already paid more money for the flight alone than a lot of Jamaicans will earn in a year. Thus, One's presence in itself, is an indicator of outrageous
wealth to the poverty-stricken Jamaican that one comes across, if one leaves the
compound of the resort.. Which is never encouraged by Hotels.

Who needs
all that on a vacation..? Not me. How can One be adventurous, in a place where physical attacks are statistically quite possible..?

Conversely, a shanty-Town in a place where One stands out like a Nightlight is a bad equation.

Jamaicans have extreme issues, some of which I
have not touched on here. The Sort of Homophobia so deep that it affects Straight Men, as well.

Taxi Drivers proportedly selling everything unsavory under the sun. Probably only having access to maybe half of what's offered. Say no to an offer of a Prostitute - "You must be Gay." And that's cause for a beating in this Country of Closet Gays. Methinks, Thou Dost Protest Too Much I-Yahman...

Unbelivable Verbal Assaults for no apparent reason. Out of nowhere. You ain't in Kansas Anymore Dorothy... The Guy You are travelling with is Hating this...

ALL these things and more are the last things I want to deal with on a
hard-earned vacation. I do not think JA is a good destination. There are so many
places more friendly and safe. More beautiful. Less Humidity... ->

No worries about getting in a
rental car and going wherever you want..

Jamaican Ganja...? BFD ain't worth it anymore. It's not really Legal either in JA.

The Bubble Bag idea I agree with, though... Go down to JA, buy a pound of Outdoor Marijuana for 15o usd, bring your Bag set, and make bubble out of it. You will have the best smoke on the island..

But, since I live in the Emerald
Triangle..! Who needs those bricked buds. ? or Half-assed grown flowers with straight
manure-produced Dutch genetics.. Or even moderately good pretendica..

Somewhere very exotic like French Polynesia if anyone I even knew could ever afford it (I went years ago a few times on discount in the Travel Industry) -- THAT's Paradise. The Ocean Flora and Fauna are almost Alien. Some Moments in Costa Rica Qualify. There are other places I have been to and Many I have not.

Outer-Island Hawaii, or Waikiki in Summer, a surfboard, and some of
my own bubble and buds brought over - is One idea of perfection. A Dream - as there is no true paradise that I have found - although I continue the Search.

Last edited:

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
I'm feelin ya, stasis, and agree there is this "under-vibe" that I can't quite describe. Like I said Jam changed a lot. Mostly for the better, but, without doubts, some 'not so better.'

ive done hawaii a few times, and, for the most part, thats overpriced and overrated, too, but, MUCH more relaxing and chill vibe without that 'look over your shoulder constantly' thing to roll with.
can't disagree with a nice winter swell, ever, though. ;)

much love, and thanks for the honest opinion. one must consider all sides when spending hard-earned cash for a trip.

belize is next on my list....

-cap

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
been there at least 20 times, my folks had a chalet style house built, in the west end of Negril, 10 mins from the lighthouse...I used to swim at the lighthouse and Rick's but was careful to not buy the beer their lol...across the street a Red Stripe is 25 jah..at Ricks, LOL 10 American...I lived like a local and LOVE NEGRIL.....I haven't been in 10 years but have heard the smoke is better....

I think what happen was the rasta's woke up to the genetics being prduced in Holland 10-15 years ago, and slowly they were gifted and started planting, dutch gene's and so NOW...i think...due to that fact...the weed being grown..in the mountains and on the plantations is stronger....

FYI...try and become friends with a REAL Rasta...who will go into the mountains and get you smoke...As we all know..or i hope...more THC produced at higher elevations...

OH and I do MISS the finger gum( Jamaican Gum) so plentiful their..haha

anyway..can't wait to get back there

LOVE NEGRIL

peace
Chefboy

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
hubcap, I was in Negril @ the same time!! Found some good nuggets, but everything else was VERY mediocre, and pretty pricy for schwag. Finally I scored some Durban Poison which was impressive for Jamaica. I agree with you on everything your talking about with the prices, and the people. Though I thought the flea market in Negril was very sketchy... 3rd world back ally's.. scary, but interesting. Glad you had a good trip! I know I did, much love! SL

Here's the Durban I scored @ my resort.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Hey, Mon.

Disclaimer: marijuana consumption is illegal in Jamaica and penalties are stiff.

You forgot to mention if they pull you over and don't like what you may have on you....they'll take you straight to an ATM.
If ya ain't got enough cash on you that is. ;)

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
well, that's pretty convenient.
Hell, some places in Mexico will throw you in the clink for an hour or two before they take the bribe.
No Bueno para Gringo.

-cap

sprinkl

Veteran
But,
to me, as an ex-Travel Agent for 8 years, who has seen people come and go to and
from JA.. Getting hassled is not ok..

Do We travel to raise our Blood Pressure....? No of course not..

Then don't go to Morocco either... Don't go to Egypt, Turkey, Thailand, any poor country that's been run down by tourists.

It's sad, IMO it's mass tourism that is fully to blame for how the situation is there now. Year after year shiploads of white thrash with endless more money to spend than the locals, thinking everything's for sale and having no respect for the land, people and way of life... How would you feel if millionaires came roaming our streets with such a disgusting attitude?

VirginHarvester

Veteran
I remember being in Negril early 90s and on our way from the airport some guys at a crossroads came to our cab and sold us some Jamaican. Very sativa, very paranoid and high anxiety. We were baked and couldn't be out in public for an hour or so after smoking this bud. Awesome weed! Hope that kind of genetic isn't gone for good. It needs to be preserved in my opinion. I'm not an indica fan per se because I smoke for energy and anti depressive effects. Hope the Colombians and Jamaicans have preserved their traditional sativas.

Are those "space cakes" still floating around Negril?

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
man am i jealous, my folks who have sold their house and are in retiremnt now, are travelling

And I just dropped them off at the airport, they are headed to Negril, i think they are staying at Legends on the Beach...they paid 800 bucks each,,what a steal..man am i jealous,,

peace
Chefboy

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
so my folks came back, had a great time and brought me this

Attachments

• 2013-04-18 23.17.46.jpg
    2013-04-18 23.17.46.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 10

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I've read with interest, all the stories here about Jamaica...
I travelled to Jah the first time in 1972 and the last time in 1994...I visited Negril on 3 of these trips. I loved Negril in '72 and a year later in '73.....I could not believe how much it was built up and had changed by the early '80's...
If any of you were there in 1972, these old pics of Negril (which I scanned from the original Kodachrome slides) might bring back some good memories..
The Wharf Club and the store across the street were the only places to buy regular type groceries.. There were lots of little shacks that sold fresh fruit (oranges=5 cents,
bananas=3 for 5 cents) and sweet breads.
The Negril traffic circle wasn't too busy then. Im standing at the north side and facing south-east...thats the road to Sav-la-Mar.
This sign used to be in the Mo-Bay airport.. it was still there in 1994...

Attachments

• Wharf Club restaurant.jpg
    Wharf Club restaurant.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Negril traffic circle.jpg
    Negril traffic circle.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 14
  • airport sign.jpg
    airport sign.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 17

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I was there last Dec also, rented a house on the West End cliffs with steps down into the water.
The herb in Negril was a bit damp, over priced and so - so. Fine for making water hash, even really nice, but just not the same league as the best herb from where ever you are from.
If you buy herb from farmers outside of town it is US$100 a pound. Strip it, freeze it and away you go...
But have a local deliver it to you in Negril so you don't have to run it past any police road blocks, they just want a bribe anyway...
The food is great, life is pretty easy and no one gets hassled for herb in the west end. The locals try and sell you herb but smoke a bowl of FMCD or a joint with some in it and they melt, it is way to strong for many of them....
One Love,
-SamS

bigAl25

Veteran
Sam did you take any photos of the place and cliffs overlooking the ocean? Beautiful place. I do like finding a Rasta and have them hook me up with the ganja, red stripe and a ice cold Ting. Jerk chicken for lunch and a Hummingbird on the beach make for a wonderful day. Peace and respect Mon.