What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Needs some corn seed to block plants outdoor

Jwow530

I trying to grow some corn to block my plants and I planted some sweet corn and it say harvest in august that's kinda early lol so I was wondering if anyone know what kinda corn seed I can get that will have a late harvest till I take down my crop in early October?

Limeygreen

Veteran
Feed corn, you just leave it on to let it dry on the cob, if you have chickens you just say it's for them if anyone gets curious or you have a friend who wanted some corn for their chickens, around here I see corn hanging to dry on the stalk until December.

DJXX

Veteran
my buddy grew on the edge of the cornfield and never got caught...he just never put 2 together and just planted here and there....used to crack me up he had a corn chamo outfit..DJXX

Betterhaff

Veteran
That just means the corn (ears) will be ready to harvest by August, the stalks will still be there. Eventually they will start to die off, dry up, and turn tan/brown but will still be standing. Field corn grows taller than sweet corn so it depends on what you need for height requirements…but I’d rather eat sweet corn.

I’ve grown in corn before and MJ can stand out as the season comes to an end. Like already mentioned best to spread them out here and there.

Limeygreen

Veteran
you can buy green seed corn, flour corn really and stokes sells it. You could plant sweet corn later but the corn will not be as good as you will a lot of the heat units needed but could be done just expect a poor result too.

Jwow530

So if the corn harvest in august and if I keep watering it will it still stand tall lol to block my plants untill October lol

While I agree with the provenance of Lester Beans recommendation, my question is what latitude are you? When is your "last frost"?

Latitude and start date matter with corn just as much as cannabis. If your not below 35ºN, and can't plant now, choose something 120 days or less that isn't sweet corn and you'll be fine!

Latest posts

Latest posts