What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need Volunteer to run Aero-cloner experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Experiment: Do a clone run without lighting
Claim: You don't need any light to clone, perhaps it's faster without

I would do the experiment myself but unfortunately I don't have the luxury of experimenting with my clones.

If any experienced aero-cloner has a mother and a dark spot to test it, it would be very cool.

S

snoopytime

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that the cuttings needed the light to make the energy for root production(?)

Classic Seeds

Veteran
hey this is nutts to me once it starts to grow roots it needs to make energy to grow more roots and leafs etc and light is where the sourse of energy is for a plant so root ya it could but to not die and keep growing you need light aloha cls

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
no light = flowering hormone production = fucked up clone

I love that you wouldnt do this yourself but want someone else to spend time and effort on it...

FAIL!

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i aero clone, and don't give any direct light during the rooting process - just 'ambient' room light. just seemed like the less light i gave them, the quicker the process went/healthier the cuts stayed.

but dark? it seems more than vaguely counter-intuitive. if i've got 10-14 days where my cloner doesn't 'need' to be xeroxing anything, i'll give it a whirl for shits and giggles - just not sure when that'd be, tho.

BagseedSamurai

I have used ambient light behind a wall with no access to anything other than the kitchen light. Also, the clone was held in a 10 gallon fish tank complete with fish.

Worked.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Yup that's what I'm saying, or rather what another grower claimed to do for years making clones in soil. They prepared the cuts and then straight into a cardboard box with no light.

I bet it would work with an aero-cloner with no problem, I just don't have the luxury of trying it myself so if anybody has about 10 days to do the test it would be very cool.

Obviously if it works well then it would be great knowledge to all.

Marshall

if it works in an aero cloner, it should work with all cloning methods? Get some soil or coco and red cups, and put some clones in the closet.

I think 100% darkness is going to mess them up pretty good

El Toker

I may be able to do this in about three weeks, probably. If I remember. I could only probably manage about 6 clones though.

issack

Veteran
going to be one messed up clone. you need light for root growth.

I get full roots in 13 days with my bubble cloner. then after a week in soil or Hydroton they have already exploded with growth. that's 24 hours light. I cant imagine trying to take the time to revert the 24 hour darkness back into a healthy plant. it's just completely wasted time and energy.

gates3rd

Hey,

lol your first post sounded like : hey can someone do a experiment for me cause i dont wanna cut myself a clone. lol

nevermind

i think 100% darkness the plant will stop growing and try to survive till it gets light again, if that dark period is too long the plant will die i am sure.

the plant must form roots in his "arms"(or where ever you cut the clone lol) and you come and take the last hope the --> light <-- away ! if there is no light there is nothing to live for and the plant will die point.

its like giving no nutes ... it will be ok but at some point plant will suffer and die,
or water plant die ...

if u really wanna waste a Clone look for the jiffy challenge at least you get some bud at the end hehe

cheers

N

nveevo

Cuttings do not need light to make roots, but to continue growth light is needed.

Photosynthesis stored energy or leaves sustain the plant until it has roots, and then it can utilize additional light energy to continue growth.

Plants in the dark cycle do not die, and only when they have been denied light energy for sustained period of time will they stop growing.

In short yes and no. Yes cuttings need light, because once they start to root this light energy is needed to grow for healthy cuttings. No cuttings do not need light to root, however a rooted cutting is not the same as a healthy rooted cutting. If one roots cuttings in the dark, and once roots start to appear then puts them under light energy that is just fine. Although chances of limiting shock and stress side with keeping them under lights so that when they do require light it is there, instead of waiting for human approval; it does not mean that plants require light to root.

Before a cutting has any roots at all, the light serves no purpose! Only once roots are forming, does light play a role.

Cuttings depend on temperature, moisture, and air. Light and nutrients do not start to become applicable until roots have formed.

Too long rooting in the dark is not advised, as the overall health of the cutting starts to become affected; but that is more than just rooting. Sometimes space and light are a concern for some hobbyists, and allowing cuttings to root in the dark can be of use to many. Perhaps not the most ideal setting, but for some the ideal setting is just not possible and again if it has not already been said cuttings can root in the dark.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
I may be able to do this in about three weeks, probably. If I remember. I could only probably manage about 6 clones though.

That would be awesome, thanks. From what I've been able to research on this, plants do a lot of growing at night and as long as they put out roots before they used up their stored energy it should work.

Like somebody pointed out, if it worked in aero it should work for anything but aero in my opinion has a wider strike zone so it should be the easiest choice.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Yea I just dont see how that would work at all and am calling bullshit

How can you call bullshit on something you don't understand and have never tried? See when somebody says they want to try something you sound like a fool saying "I call bullshit," because nobody has made any claims yet, what you want to say is "I don't think it will work," and even though that won't make you sound any better than all the other people who have nothing better to do but point out the end of their knowledge at least you won't sound like a fool.

mule420

Well I don't have a aero cloner but I have this...

picture.php

Give me 5 days for that G-13 on the front right to pop roots and I will do it... You know what f*ck that! These all are moving to the flood tray tomorrow anyways... My Jacks cleaner bonsai tree mom needs a root trim and a hair cut... And the G-13 top can piss off! I have the plant as a mom anyways... And I have some fresh ewc tea I want to try out. So you want it to be complete darkness? As in I take a big box put it in a cool dark place with plant and the cloner in it and open it up five days later? I will need to make some sort of black out vents to keep air cruzing I have a small computer fan I can rig up... What do you think? I have everything we need just give me a outline of the experiment... Peace and puffs

Edit: if you would like, I can up to 6 diff strains???

Status
Not open for further replies.