What's new

Need to Sanitize expensive grow room that was infected with MOSAIC Virus- please help

Immune

I have a high dollar grow room that had some plants that were infected with the virus. I tore the plants out a few months ago and need to start up again. I threw away the pots but am using the flood tables from before.

Question to experts:
What is the best way to sanitize a room to ensure that the virus does not come back. Do I need to clean out The dehumid, and the lights? and if so which decontamination method should I use.

This is a huge problem for me and any help you could give to assist the cleansing process would be awesome. :thank you: sooooo much

Budwhyser

Ozone kills everything. Get a couple of large big blue ozone generators and turn them on full power and leave them for 48 hrs. The ozone will seep into every crack, under and in-between walls, ceilings and even under panda plastic. I would probably run a few cycles like this a few days apart. It will absolutely kill off anything alive in your space. Everything else I'd use ammonia and bleach to sterilize.

Immune

The clones were at a spot that had plants that had the virus before, It didn't even cross my mind because it was years ago. No pictures though. and Budwhyser ozone sounds promising after doing some research and coming across this
Yoshizaki and others (1988) found that aqueous ozone
caused the coat proteins subunits of tobacco mosaic virus
(TMV) to aggregate with each other and cross-link with the
viral RNA. Despite their observation of a good correlation
between loss of infectivity and decrease of recovery of viral
RNA, Yoshizaki and others (1988) and Shriniki and others
(1988) concluded that the major cause of TMV inactivation
by ozone was the inability of the treated virus to uncoat. Roy
and others (1981) found that ozone altered two of the four
polypeptide chains in the poliovirus protein coat. They, however, attributed the inactivation of the virus to the damage in
its RNA by ozone. The observation by Herbold and others
(1989) that 0.38 mg/mL aqueous ozone was needed for complete inactivation of hepatitis A virus (HAV) and only 0.13
mg/mL for complete inactivation of poliovirus may support
the hypothesis that damage to viral envelopes is the main
cause of inactivation of viruses by ozone. Enveloped viruses
such as HAV are expected to be much more resistant to
ozone

So in layman's terms the ozone attacks the protein coat of the TMV virus and inactivates it, right? If I had the Ozone gens running what would the use of the ammonia and bleach be? Is there somewhere specifically I should spot clean with it?

Thanks! :)

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
So in layman's terms the ozone attacks the protein coat of the TMV virus and inactivates it, right? If I had the Ozone gens running what would the use of the ammonia and bleach be? Is there somewhere specifically I should spot clean with it?

Thanks! :)

uhhhhhh, Good houskeeping maybe?
Clean out the dead bodies maybe?

naaaaaa - just leave the dog crap in the corner, the ozone will fix that too,

S

SeaMaiden

I have a high dollar grow room that had some plants that were infected with the virus. I tore the plants out a few months ago and need to start up again. I threw away the pots but am using the flood tables from before.

Question to experts:
What is the best way to sanitize a room to ensure that the virus does not come back. Do I need to clean out The dehumid, and the lights? and if so which decontamination method should I use.

This is a huge problem for me and any help you could give to assist the cleansing process would be awesome. :thank you: sooooo much

Believe it or not, but got milk? Let me put up an attachment (shit, I hope I can attach a pdf!).

Attachments

• Milk_GH_virus_mgt.pdf
    218.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

eyes

Veteran
tsp(tri sodium phosphate. paint aisle big box stoeres). the walls and ceilings..... ozone works well for inactivating mold spores and im sure in high enough concentrations it will kill other nasties. the higher concentration ozone gens will be comprised of corona discharge- uvs will work with enough bulbs.. use a ppm ozone meter or card to record how high the concentrations are. dont be in the same room with that ozone running. ozone has a half life of 30 minutes. another method would be to use a uv light over all surfaces. uv modifies the dna of any virus.

the key going forward is to keep all your own clones and start from seed. tooo risky to get free clones in trade and put yourself in the same position again. hepa screen all the intakes and use a uv bulb inside the hvac duct bringing in the fresh air. look into placing uv in a standind duct in the room if usung a sealed room with a/c. prevention is always key to preventing any reinfection. wipe all tools down with bleach and same with any equipment and or trays.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I did some leg work out of shear curiosity, it would seam like preventative measures are your best hope, transplant like a surgeon clean clean clean and no smoking around plants. Also some one mentioned Ozone generator, I built one with a 9000volt neon sign transformer some glass and perferated staless a muffin fan and some ABS pipe all run by an industrial timer it works well for sanitizing anything, it is really quite remarkable.

Control Measures

It is important to prevent the introduction of the disease by using disease-free seed and plant material. To minimize introduction, spread, and carryover of PepMV, strict hygiene at all stages during crop production, and a thorough cleanup procedure between crops, are essential.

During Crop Production

Transplants

Ensure that clean seed material is used for sowing. Inactivate any virus on the seed coat by soaking seeds in a 1% solution of trisodium phosphate (TSP) for 45 minutes, followed by soaking in a 0.5% solution of sodium hypochlorite for 30 minutes (see footnote). Stir seeds during treatment and rinse in several changes of water afterwards.

Observe all seedlings closely at least weekly for symptoms. Before seedlings are distributed or planted out in the main house, test seedlings for presence of the virus either by a diagnostic laboratory, or by using diagnostic kits that specifically test for PepMV.

Workers in seedling production facilities should preferably not work in production houses also. If this is unavoidable, then workers should always work first in the seedling house before moving to the production area.

Make sure all workers entering the seedling area wear clean clothes, new or disinfected coveralls, new or disinfected boots and gloves.

A foot-bath located at the entrance to the seedling area must be used by all persons, and a disinfecting mat by all vehicles, carts etc.

Ensure that the disinfectant in foot-baths and disinfecting mats are kept fresh at all times.

Between Crop Cleanup

Structure
•Remove all crop debris, strings, etc.
•It is best to properly bag and dispose of virus-infected crop debris immediately. Any leakage and escape of tissue will allow escape of the virus and possibly lead to carryover infections.
•Burn or deeply bury the infected material, or take immediately to the landfill site. Never dump infected plant material in the open field or leave to be incorporated into the soil in fields.
•Power wash the entire structure with or without a detergent (detergents help remove greasy films), noting particularly the overhead piping, to remove all accumulated debris etc.
•Avoid splashing dirt onto the structure.
•It is best to work from the back to the front of the greenhouse.
•Disinfect structure by wetting dry surfaces with a virucidal disinfectant. Avoid using a quaternary ammonium compound in glass structures because such compounds can mark the glass.
•Generally, disinfectants with virucidal properties have to be used at higher concentrations and for at least several minutes of exposure in order to kill viruses.
•It is best to have concrete floors that can be kept washed.

Irrigation System
•Drip lines can either be replaced or cleaned and disinfected.
•To clean the lines, fill irrigation system with acid (pH 1.5-2.0) and leave for 24 hr to remove precipitate in the lines. Rinse with clean water afterwards.
•Flush the lines and tanks with a disinfectant several times over a 24 hr-period. Rinse afterwards with fresh water.
•Drip stakes can either be replaced or disinfected by soaking in a disinfectant. Use a solution of 10% household bleach for 24 hr, or of 10% TSP for 30 minutes to denature the protein component of viruses. (See footnote) This inactivation of viruses by TSP takes place faster as the temperature is increased. Spraying the disinfectant onto the drip stakes is not sufficiently effective. Rinse with water afterwards.

Tools and Equipment
• Powerwash and disinfect all tools and equipment used in the greenhouse, including forklifts, tractors etc.
•Small tools may be soaked in a 10% solution of TSP for about 30 minutes. (see footnote)

Footnote

To make a 1 or 10% TSP solution
First make a stock saturated solution by dissolving approximately 250 g TSP in 1 litre of water and keep tightly sealed to avoid absorption of carbon dioxide. This solution is very alkaline with a pH of about 12. For a 1% solution, mix one part of the saturated solution to 99 parts of water, and for a 10% solution, mix one part of the saturated solution to 9 parts of water.

To make a 0.5% sodium hypochlorite solution
Mix one part of household bleach to 9 parts water.

Last edited:

Immune

I did some leg work out of shear curiosity, it would seam like preventative measures are your best hope, transplant like a surgeon clean clean clean and no smoking around plants. Also some one mentioned Ozone generator, I built one with a 9000volt neon sign transformer some glass and perferated staless a muffin fan and some ABS pipe all run by an industrial timer it works well for sanitizing anything, it is really quite remarkable.

Control Measures

It is important to prevent the introduction of the disease by using disease-free seed and plant material. To minimize introduction, spread, and carryover of PepMV, strict hygiene at all stages during crop production, and a thorough cleanup procedure between crops, are essential.

During Crop Production

Transplants

Ensure that clean seed material is used for sowing. Inactivate any virus on the seed coat by soaking seeds in a 1% solution of trisodium phosphate (TSP) for 45 minutes, followed by soaking in a 0.5% solution of sodium hypochlorite for 30 minutes (see footnote). Stir seeds during treatment and rinse in several changes of water afterwards.

Observe all seedlings closely at least weekly for symptoms. Before seedlings are distributed or planted out in the main house, test seedlings for presence of the virus either by a diagnostic laboratory, or by using diagnostic kits that specifically test for PepMV.

Workers in seedling production facilities should preferably not work in production houses also. If this is unavoidable, then workers should always work first in the seedling house before moving to the production area.

Make sure all workers entering the seedling area wear clean clothes, new or disinfected coveralls, new or disinfected boots and gloves.

A foot-bath located at the entrance to the seedling area must be used by all persons, and a disinfecting mat by all vehicles, carts etc.

Ensure that the disinfectant in foot-baths and disinfecting mats are kept fresh at all times.

Between Crop Cleanup

Structure
•Remove all crop debris, strings, etc.
•It is best to properly bag and dispose of virus-infected crop debris immediately. Any leakage and escape of tissue will allow escape of the virus and possibly lead to carryover infections.
•Burn or deeply bury the infected material, or take immediately to the landfill site. Never dump infected plant material in the open field or leave to be incorporated into the soil in fields.
•Power wash the entire structure with or without a detergent (detergents help remove greasy films), noting particularly the overhead piping, to remove all accumulated debris etc.
•Avoid splashing dirt onto the structure.
•It is best to work from the back to the front of the greenhouse.
•Disinfect structure by wetting dry surfaces with a virucidal disinfectant. Avoid using a quaternary ammonium compound in glass structures because such compounds can mark the glass.
•Generally, disinfectants with virucidal properties have to be used at higher concentrations and for at least several minutes of exposure in order to kill viruses.
•It is best to have concrete floors that can be kept washed.

Irrigation System
•Drip lines can either be replaced or cleaned and disinfected.
•To clean the lines, fill irrigation system with acid (pH 1.5-2.0) and leave for 24 hr to remove precipitate in the lines. Rinse with clean water afterwards.
•Flush the lines and tanks with a disinfectant several times over a 24 hr-period. Rinse afterwards with fresh water.
•Drip stakes can either be replaced or disinfected by soaking in a disinfectant. Use a solution of 10% household bleach for 24 hr, or of 10% TSP for 30 minutes to denature the protein component of viruses. (See footnote) This inactivation of viruses by TSP takes place faster as the temperature is increased. Spraying the disinfectant onto the drip stakes is not sufficiently effective. Rinse with water afterwards.

Tools and Equipment
• Powerwash and disinfect all tools and equipment used in the greenhouse, including forklifts, tractors etc.
•Small tools may be soaked in a 10% solution of TSP for about 30 minutes. (see footnote)

Footnote

To make a 1 or 10% TSP solution
First make a stock saturated solution by dissolving approximately 250 g TSP in 1 litre of water and keep tightly sealed to avoid absorption of carbon dioxide. This solution is very alkaline with a pH of about 12. For a 1% solution, mix one part of the saturated solution to 99 parts of water, and for a 10% solution, mix one part of the saturated solution to 9 parts of water.

To make a 0.5% sodium hypochlorite solution
Mix one part of household bleach to 9 parts water.

References

Boonekamp, G. 1999. Nauwkeurig opruimen moet pepinovirus uitbannen. Groenten en Fruit, Glasgroenten (Oct 29): 6-7.

Brunt, A.A., Crabtree, K., Dallwitz, M.J., Gibbs, A.J., Watson, L. and Zurcher, E. J., eds. 1997. Pepino Mosaic potexvirus. Plant Viruses Online: Descriptions and Lists from the VIDE Database [on-line]. Available from http://biology.anu.edu.au/Groups/MES/vide/descr595.htm; accessed day month year.

Cooke, A. 2000. Mystery virus. Grower (Feb 24): 19-20.

Cooke, A. 2000. PepMV: the commission takes action. Grower (June 15): 23.

Gooding, G.V. 1975. Inactivation of tobacco mosaic virus on tomato seed with trisodium orthophosphate and sodium hypochlorite. Plant Disease Reporter 59, no. 9: 770-772.

Grodan. 2000. Pepino Mosaic Virus alert. North American Greenhouse Vegetable Newsletter Special Edition.

Jones, R.A.C., Koenig, R. and Lesemann, D.E. 1980. Pepino Mosaic Virus, a new potexvirus from pepino (Solanum muricatum). Annals of Applied Biology 94: 61-68.

Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, UK. 2000. Pepino Mosaic Virus information sheet (PB5186) [on-line]. Available from http://www.maff.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/pepino.htm; accessed day month year.

Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, UK. 2000. Pepino Mosaic Virus. Current Plant Health News, Dec. 4, 2000 [on-line]. Available from http://www.maff.gov.uk/planth/whatmore.htm; accessed day month year.

Mudde, J. 2000. Pepinomozaiekvirus, hygiene is noodzaak! Groenten en Fruit, Glasgroenten (Jan 28): 18-19.

Stijger, I.; Mudde, J. 2000. Meer inzicht in oorzaken en verspreiding van pepinomozaiekvirus. Groenten en Fruit, Glasgroenten (Nov 3): 12-14.

Stijger, I.; Verhoeven, K.; van der Vlugt, R. 2000. Nieuw licht op het Pepinomozeikvirus. Groenten en Fruit, Glasgroenten (April 21): 6-7.

TCN/PBG/DLV. 2000. Controlelijst viruspreventie mechanisch overdraagbare virussen. 08/03/00.

van der Vlugt, R.A.A., Stijger, C.C.M.M., Verhoeven, J. J. Th. J., Verhoeven, J. and Lesemann, D.E. 2000. First report of Pepino Mosaic Virus on tomato. Plant Disease 84, no.1: 103.

Acknowledgements

The following are gratefully acknowledged for their review of this factsheet and for their valuable suggestions:
Wayne Allen and Lorne Stobbs, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Vineland.
Ian A. MacLatchy, Ray Johnson, and Blake Ferguson, Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
Michael Celetti, OMAFRA

Most informative post I have read on this topic. You're awesome!

Immune

Since I'm in California, It's illegal to ship Ozone gens shipped to me. I did a little reading and am wondering would a HEPA air purifier do the job? Which one should I get for a 1000 feet grow space?

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Since I'm in California, It's illegal to ship Ozone gens shipped to me. I did a little reading and am wondering would a HEPA air purifier do the job? Which one should I get for a 1000 feet grow space?

Nope, Hepa (High Effecienct particlate air filter) won't help Ozone generator can't hurt, althought even with a O3 generator there are still risks of unhealthy levels of Ozone. Really you have to get rid of all organic material, dis infect with bleach and water solution, and start another grow and just be super sterile with all your stuff, gloves, clean shoes, no smoking or eating, no companion plants. You have to get rid of all the plants that may have even come close to contacting you girls. Sorry man sounds like a tough one. Hope I have been helpful.

just another note... I have alot of agricultural experience so when it comes to stuff like this, it really is foot baths masks boot covers, quarentines, restricted access the whole bit. Keep the Virus under your hat and control it at the source. it's the best you can do.

Peace

Granger2

Veteran
You don't have to smoke in the grow room to spread viruses, if you are a smoker, the viruses can be on you. Hand sanitizing is wise. Good luck. -granger

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
You don't have to smoke in the grow room to spread viruses, if you are a smoker, the viruses can be on you. Hand sanitizing is wise. Good luck. -granger

You are correct, I was more concerned with the tobacco itself as this virus is a problem in the tobacco industry, and can be spread through cigarettes that contain contaminated plant material.

Good point though!

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
NOT together. That will kill YOU!

^^^THIS^^^

The two together I believe makes "Mustard Gas" It will kill your pet bird before it will kill you, also becaeful with any spray containing ammonia, and useing bleach, javex, hypochlorate etc.

Peace

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran

Well,... I guess my wife's smoking privileges just got cut off!!!

Wifey smokes tobacco, I'm non smoker and don't want her smoking in the house,.... grow room is filtered, thus cant smell the cigarette stink.

If her smoking in the room poses a viral risk to my plants, then she's gonna have to go outside!!!! Hands down!

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Used to be so paranoid bout the smoking...cuz i'd lost stuff to the virus or so I thought over the years.. Another thread on here opened my eyes.. How sure actually, are you that you had mosaic virus? Like I mean did you have it verified with test kits that pick up which virus it was ..like suggested here..

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=177527&page=44

Or.. was it the evil mites from hell that symptomatically mimic virus and other problems..? My 'virus' problems of years turned out to be cyclamen mites and azamax and neem/garlic/lavender/mint/rosemary oils etc.. saved the day.

S

SeaMaiden

I don't understand why the pdf I attached can't be seen in my post until I go to edit it. I'll try to c&p the article. It's about virus vectoring and control in the greenhouse. But, if you're dealing with a mosaic virus, you really should read this.

Here's the abstract.

Dept. of Plant Pathology said:
ABSTRACT:
Lewandowski, D. J., Hayes, A. J., and Adkins, S. 2010.

Surprising results from a search for effective disinfectants for Tobacco mosaic virus–contaminated tools.
Plant Dis. 94:542-550.

Over 100 years after its discovery, Tobacco mosaic virus (TMV) remains an economically important pathogen for producers of many vegetatively propagated crops including petunias (Petunia × hybrida). To directly address this concern, we have developed a robust system to determine efficacy of disinfectants for treating TMV-contaminated cutting tools using a combination of preliminary screens and replicated trials.

Contrary to widely held beliefs, wild-type (wt) TMV and four additional tobamovirus species infected four petunia cultivars without producing obvious viral symptoms. In contrast, a petunia isolate of TMV with 99.0% (nucleotide) and 99.4% (amino acid) coat protein sequence identity to wt TMV produced symptoms on all but one tested cultivar.

We also show that TMV transmission can occur up to the twentieth petunia plant cut following a single cutting event on a TMV-infected plant. Although many new products are now available, treatment of TMV-contaminated tools with a 20% (wt/vol) solution of nonfat dry milk (NFDM) plus 0.1% Tween 20 or a 1:10 dilution of household bleach (0.6% sodium hypochlorite), two “old standbys”, completely eliminated TMV transmission to petunias. Treatment of contaminated tools with 1% (wt/vol) Virkon S or 20% NFDM also significantly reduced the incidence of infected petunias. Other treatments identified in the preliminary screens are candidates for the second phase of screening that simulates contamination during the process of taking cuttings.

K, now for linkage to the whole paper. AHA! From here you can get the PDF file of the paper.

http://www.apsnet.org/publications/plantdisease/2010/May/Pages/94_5_542.aspx