What's new

NEED HELP DECIDING NEW LAPTOP

MeanBean

mac-pc-motorcycle-777073.jpg

the enthusiasm of mac users reminds me of that annoying ass prick that doesn't listen to any music anyone has ever heard of, specifically for the reason that no one has ever heard of it. And that's why they have better taste in music than you. (everybody has at least one friend that matches that description and if you don't guess what. . .chances are it's you) :scripture:

Seriously though, everyone here is awesome I don't mean anything negative by it :thank you:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Macs and PC's are not that different nowadays. They pretty much use the same hardware.

The main difference is the OS.

:tiphat:
No, the main difference is the proprietary nature of Apple products. I can build my own PC, and configure it any way I want.
Try that with a Mac. Impossible.
I just built 2 PCs, and they are much nicer than even the most expensive Mac. I get to pick my own case, which is huge. Aluminum cases rock. As your Macs go obsolete, I can continually upgrade that case with new parts, going forward for many years. Want to upgrade your CPU?
No problem.
Unless you have a Mac:)

hashit

Ugh..another Mac vs PC vs Linux debate. Any one of these OS's provide the functionality that you need. I primarily use Windows..mostly for software development..but I also run Linux w/apache for web dev stuff. A computer/OS is just at tool..use the one that you feel comfortable/familiar with.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
900 was my budget but you cant build a Laptop from scratch as far as I know

And the winner is VTA for his sugetion. Thanks everyone for there help

ASUS K61IC-A2 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8700.

mdcanna

900 was my budget but you cant build a Laptop from scratch as far as I know

haha, no I didn't mean for you to build it with your hands. I meant configure it...but I'm glad you figured it out :)

edit: your budget rules this out, didnt realize that until after typing this LOL!

ive been using windows and dell for 15 years for basic computer use, nothing special

most recently:
paid 1600 for a top of the line PC that rivaled the $2200 macs.
actually, it didnt rival it, the components were better in every way.

it overheated from day 1 because they admittedly designed it wrong
the ac power adapter has been replaced 3x in 3 years
the motherboard/ac connection has been replaced 2x, gets loose etc
the extreme heat destroyed a video card & motherboard
this heat was from normal use, too.
whole computer eventually bogs down and needs to be sent in for service

they didnt even tell me of these design problems until my computer broke.
of course, it wasnt preemptive, so your computer crashes and you lose it for a week unexpectedly! bastards.

and most of all, windows is the biggest pos os ever. liked it/put up with it for a decade but i am so ready for a mac. fuck microsoft & fuck dell, horrible products.

im ready to pay $500 more and suffer convenience of cheaper tech support warranties for a computer that doesnt suck balls & has a great operating system, though.
done with dell after all these years, i always thought they had good service but the Home tech support is a lot worse than the Business support.
home support they'll hang up on you, not return your calls, berate you. Too many douchebags, nobody there gives a crap, even supervisors, unless you're in the business class.

15 years of supporting dell, no more
what really did it was windows, not dell, though
windows has been dumbed down over the years to the point where ive reached the breaking point
both op systems are similar
but mac wins by FAR
especially in the audio/image/video department
they do everything that pcs do but more, and more easily.

windows/microsoft/dell are a joke to me now, mac has surpassed them!
i would rather pay $2200 for a computer that works well than $1600 for the POS that gives me as much stress as this last one did! even if it worked as it should have!!

D

danimal7

I have both , and the Mac is better , the HP pavilion overheats and the noisy fan runs all the time and then it just cuts off

Building is the way to go!!!! Just never had the patience for that. Good luck! I did like my thinkpad though, that was nice and slim!

mdcanna

I still have a thinkpad T43 awesome laptop never gives any trouble, IBM makes good products I think its called Lenovo thinkpad now.

The thread was supposed to be opinions on what LT i should get it got off topic.

I like Acer. Most people I talk to think they are crap because they are cheap.

My last one is 6 years old and worked till last month when 1 too many times tripping over the power cord broke the A/C connection to the motherboard.

Still works on battery but wont be able to run on A/C or recharge without spending money on repairs so I just bought a new one a few days ago.

So far loving it.

I recommend you check out the 5517 Acer laptops.

Good luck. I hope you find one you are happy with.:wave:

I still have a thinkpad T43 awesome laptop never gives any trouble, IBM makes good products I think its called Lenovo thinkpad now.

I love the T 43. Great laptop.

I think that's the last one that's all IBM before they sold Thinkpad to the Chinese company Lenovo.

My wife still has a T 43. I thought about picking up another one for myself but I am hooked on this 15.6 wide-screen.

I didnt see this before I posted.

I am a big fan of Asus motherboards. I put them in most desktops I build along with their DVD burners.

I think you will be happy.

Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Latest posts