What's new

Need an exact answer

RamRun

Does a boot disc created on Windows 7 pc work on a Windows 10 pc?
My answer is no.
My colleague's anwes is yes,as he tested it.
But right now,it has not unlocked my pc.Why?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Sorry, all my windows are covered up, to stop the light getting out.

Seriously though, if the hardware is the same, then yes, but if you have diff hardware, you may need diff driver files on your boot up. I don't know in your case, sorry.

dddaver

Veteran
So the exact answer is: sometimes yes, sometimes no. Dependent on exactly what is on the disk.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Get rid of Windows, use Ubuntu instead, it's better and it's free, no viruses or malware and a community that will help if you do have problems.:biggrin:

https://ubuntu.com/download
Iran Ubuntu for 10 yrs. To say it is virus free, is false. I will admit that they are not a target as MS is but, because it doesn't run virus software, leaves you vulnerable. That being said a fraction of a % compared to Windows. 4 viruses in 10 yrs is a pretty good avg if you ask me.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
A Windows boot disc will work on ANY* computer regardless of the OS on the computer's hard drive.

When you use a boot disc to boot a computer, the computer's BIOS goes to the BOOT DISC disc drive BEFORE the computer's internal hard drive. So the computer's internal operating system that is on the internal hard drive never comes into play. You may need to boot into the computer's BIOS and set the BOOT DRIVE in the BIOS to your desired drive. The default is usually the internal drive.

So, the exact answer to your question is YES[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], a boot[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] disc created on Windows 7 pc will work on a Windows 10 pc. [/FONT]Sorry, your buddy is correct. :)

Until very recently, I was still booting rescued computers with an XP disk. LOL

RamRun

Iran Ubuntu for 10 yrs. To say it is virus free, is false. I will admit that they are not a target as MS is but, because it doesn't run virus software, leaves you vulnerable. That being said a fraction of a % compared to Windows. 4 viruses in 10 yrs is a pretty good avg if you ask me.
:) I agree with you.

RamRun

You may need to boot into the computer's BIOS and set the BOOT DRIVE in the BIOS to your desired drive. The default is usually the internal drive.
Thanks,when this disk was inserted to the Windows 10 computer, I had already set USB as the first boot device in the BIOS.And if you and my colleagues are right, it's my fault. Maybe something is wrong with the boot disk,OMG.....I am helpless,i just want to use it to remove the damn Windows 10 passwor.

Youthtime

How to remove your login password from Windows 10

1. Netplwiz is a “hidden” tool used to control user accounts. First, click the Windows 10 Start Menu and type Netplwiz. ...
  2. Removing your password really is as easy as unchecking one little box. ...
  3. To make this change you'll need to type in your administrator's password one last time.

https://www.windows10passwordreset.com/
I think Ophcrack will does better job than NT password.Download and create a reset disk,with it,the password of Windows 10 can be removed soon,and it is time to set a new login password.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Windows used to do my head in regularly as I’m not very tech-computer-literate these days.
I’m so glad I got gifted an apple ... they just work.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If you just trying to reset a password Ophcrack should work. And brunch you pay 2-3x the actual value for apple products, they better "just work" :D Until they need to be repaired :D

Ringodoggie already gave a comprehensive answer, but there's something I can add from recent experience, which is that motherboard FIRMWARE has changed in the last ten years to from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. If the disk works on a windows 7 machine, it's probably aimed at Legacy BIOS, since that PC might well not have UEFI enabled. If the Windows 10 pc (newer, certainly will have UEFI Firmware on motherboard) doesn't boot from same disk, this could be why.

I recently installed Linux on a spare laptop that previously had Windows 10 and failed to boot from ISO several times, until I changed BIOS settings (not just to specify boot media, but other config options affecting bootability) and used a software called Rufus to burn the ISO (instead of UltraISO). The images made with UltraISO had worked on Windows 7-era hardware with no problem, but Rufus software changed or added parameters somehow that made the exact same burned image instantly boot up on newer hardware. All BIOS (motherboard firmware) is not the same.

mr.brunch

Veteran
If you just trying to reset a password Ophcrack should work. And brunch you pay 2-3x the actual value for apple products, they better "just work" :D Until they need to be repaired :D

Yep, I wouldn’t much fancy paying for one... my sister just gifted me an iPhone 7 after her business contract ran out... hopefully I can make it last until the next one.
Brought a secondhand MacBook cheap though and she’s still running

DanPank

How to remove your login password from Windows 10

1. Netplwiz is a “hidden” tool used to control user accounts. First, click the Windows 10 Start Menu and type Netplwiz. ...
  2. Removing your password really is as easy as unchecking one little box. ...
  3. To make this change you'll need to type in your administrator's password one last time.
Sometimes,Netplwiz takes a long time to load,i personally think it will take a day or more to reset the password.

Latest posts

Latest posts