What's new

need advice about my recieved chemdog d cut with TMV symptons

theherbalizor

Veteran
Cool, this makes me happy we have the real deal then. Not trying to bash our donors tho. they are 100% trustworthy.

The only thing I will say on the chem d with the TMV, (I killed the mites on mine, to which mine seamed the only one affected), is that MY cuts doesn't take cuts that great, but I think that may have been the mites. I took 5 for only 1 to root. I finally binned all the other cuts this morning.

But this TMV certainly isn't slowing her down. Or if it is, she must have been a real beast before prior infection.

She is a real stinker tho. very gald to have her in the garden.

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like the only way to get rid of this is kill it why not do that and get rid of it for good not very smart passing cuts around with viruses especialy seeing as it can spread but hey i dont have plants infected with TMV so im just speaking hypotheticaly any pics of what this virus does...?

sog army

What you guys think is TMV= cal and iron deficiency ..

I think tmv is a bullshit term (In our community).. try adding 10ml calmag per gallon along with your normal base.. I guarantee whatever you thought was TMV will be gone on the new growth.

Ive had chemd and most the chems for 3yrs. Ive grown them in recirculating systems, dirt pots, they go in the same ez cloner with my other plants and i share razorblades when taking cuts.. Never and I MEAN NEVER! have i had what you guys are calling TMV infect any of my other plants.. And CHEMD is a strain thats always got a light or 2 in my garden. i say dig deeper.. The solution isnt just.. It has TMV and move on.. WE are gardeners.. its our job to figure out what these plants need and give it to them so they will perform....I can neglect my D plants and they will get all speckeled up just like what you guys are saying. but if I feed them nutes every feeding and give em plenty of light. I never see any problems.

N

NOYB

I PM'd Tom Hill to check if he wanted to chime in. Only person I know of that may provide some valuable input. If he doesn't know then for sure would know someone that does...I think.

the D cut does have TMV.it was tested at a well know UC renowned in agriculture-take a giant guess with UC it is-its obvious
With the information he gave I'd have to guess University of California Davis if he means UC as University of California. He didn't say he took it just that it was tested and pretty sure it's UCD. I'll PM him. No reason he just can't say so we're clear. Believe it or not thought of them last night as an option but have no connections there.

I also PM'd Harborside at the account they have on another forum to see if they are interested in following through with some testing with connections they have. EDIT - they don't have PM function due to lack of posts and don't have time to deal with them directly.

H

heavy dank nugg

tmv will not kill your plants and it wont harm you....tmv is very rarely found in mj.

as someone posted raise your calcium and iron.. and your tmv? will dissappear.

why

because its not really tmv.

J

JeffSpicoli

you guys are tripping if you think its a calcium and iron deficiency... HAHAHAHA Seriously guys??

Grow some og cuts, then tell me its just a calicum and iron deficiency... Any leaf thats effected, it does NOT go away... Adding calmag, doesnt stop it from happening

H

heavy dank nugg

im growing the clone and im also running lemon larry og.

sometimes you get a curly leaf thats 1/2 green 1/2 basge

sometimes you get patchy spots....

these are symtoms of what many would call tmv.

99% of the time its not. why because tmv is very rarely found in mj.

a extra dose of calmag while it wont heal the affected leaf.. prevents it from happening
in new growth. this leads to the conclusion that it is indeed iron and calcium causing the problem.

how do i know this........ well ecsd and llog are both prone to this behavior.....being related to chem and all.

im not saying its not possible he has tmv...just not likely...even if he dose so fing what?

it wont harm you...

here on the east coast we dont have these issues....mabey because were cleaner and more carefull...

mabey because if we ever had a disesed plant..... we certainly would'nt pass it on.

jus saying if there is a tmv outbreak in cali... its your own fault... for passing it on....

i get curly two toned leaf's from time to time on ecsd and ll. cal mag dose the trick for me.

N

NOYB

even if he dose so fing what?

it wont harm you...

here on the east coast we dont have these issues....mabey because were cleaner and more carefull...

mabey because if we ever had a disesed plant..... we certainly would'nt pass it on.
Jeff and the crew down in Dago for sure have experience with this issue.

It may not harm the person but genetics are affected. It's important for me mainly cause of a breeder friend who might have a 'bad' Chem 4 cut. I picked up Chem 4, Chems Sister, Casey Jones and Double Underdawg from a friend and I think the 4 has it and not good news for my buddy...the breeder...if it does.

I think the issue here on the West coast is because of the much higher activity in clone trading and purchasing. I bet many do not even know they have an issue and for sure most are responsible. I do know some that have whatever this is, don't think it's an issue and pass out cuts without thinking twice. This is also more of a subtle issue and not something like mites or those frikkin root aphids which can literally wipe you out if not paying attention.

Here's a shout out to Jiggy...for whatever reason my buttons got pushed. Sorry for the strong response.

J

JeffSpicoli

lol @ "east coast doesnt have the issues cause they are cleaner and more careful"
Yup, the people on the east coast are always more clean and careful then us out west, Depending on what side of the country you live on, you are either a slob, or a cleanfreak

No doubt on the much higher activity of clone swapping out here... The clone scene has gotten ridiculous over the past few years, sooo many available genetics.

I have seen this 'tmv' trait for over 4 years now, and i never thought anything of it until more recently when people started saying it was TMV... Before that i thought i was just some leaf mutation that was common in the ogkushes... I never thought/think it has to do with calcium or iron, cause my plants get A LOTTT of cal, like LOTS. Even when the plants are the healthiest i ever get them, you still see the ocassional leaf twist.. Ive noticed that when you take a large batch of clones, depending on which clone you select.. Some will veg out to barely show out the trait, or even not show it at all.. Then other clones, may be extremely infected by it, showing LOTS of leaves with the twist.. The fact that some clones are more affected than others, even if givin the EXACT same food/enviroment.. This makes me think its not a calicum/iron issue... Why is it that some clones (same strain) show it worse than others?

G

Greyskull

lol @ "east coast doesnt have the issues cause they are cleaner and more careful"
Yup, the people on the east coast are always more clean and careful then us out west, Depending on what side of the country you live on, you are either a slob, or a cleanfreak

No doubt on the much higher activity of clone swapping out here... The clone scene has gotten ridiculous over the past few years, sooo many available genetics.

I have seen this 'tmv' trait for over 4 years now, and i never thought anything of it until more recently when people started saying it was TMV... Before that i thought i was just some leaf mutation that was common in the ogkushes... I never thought/think it has to do with calcium or iron, cause my plants get A LOTTT of cal, like LOTS. Even when the plants are the healthiest i ever get them, you still see the ocassional leaf twist.. Ive noticed that when you take a large batch of clones, depending on which clone you select.. Some will veg out to barely show out the trait, or even not show it at all.. Then other clones, may be extremely infected by it, showing LOTS of leaves with the twist.. The fact that some clones are more affected than others, even if givin the EXACT same food/enviroment.. This makes me think its not a calicum/iron issue... Why is it that some clones (same strain) show it worse than others?

jeff & noyb, until we start painting our leaf tips green we won't have a clue homies. hdn knows all about it, not us. we got nothing on him...

just saying. :nanana:

J

JeffSpicoli

if you guys want, i can take pics of like 5 different cuts that show what i think to be 'tmv'

N

NOYB

if you guys want, i can take pics of like 5 different cuts that show what i think to be 'tmv'
Why not? Let's see em. Pretty sure it'll be what I saw on the cuts I forwarded to a friend and ran. Only the Chem 4 showed it. I had never seen it before in all the cuts I've run over the last 5 years until now.

One thing that seems obvious is the different attitudes about this even when people agree that it's some virus, whether true or not. May very well not be but nice to have more info cause it affects what I'm doing.

I know the East/West coast thing cause I'm an east coaster and a neat freak...and I have visited Sub...LOL.

H

heavy dank nugg

I have seen this 'tmv' trait for over 4 years now, and i never thought anything of it until more recently when people started saying it was TMV... Before that i thought i was just some leaf mutation that was common in the ogkushes... I never thought/think it has to do with calcium or iron, cause my plants get A LOTTT of cal, like LOTS. Even when the plants are the healthiest i ever get them, you still see the ocassional leaf twist.. Ive noticed that when you take a large batch of clones, depending on which clone you select.. Some will veg out to barely show out the trait, or even not show it at all.. Then other clones, may be extremely infected by it, showing LOTS of leaves with the twist.. The fact that some clones are more affected than others, even if givin the EXACT same food/enviroment.. This makes me think its not a calicum/iron issue... Why is it that some clones (same strain) show it worse than others?[/quote
clones can mutate its pretty common... your right about the volume didnt even think about it like that.....greyskull let it go. man. the anger and jellousy will be your undoing.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hello folks,

Apparently out of about 1200 viruses able to infect plants, only 5 infect cannabis regularly - Tobacco mosaic virus (TMV) is not one of them. Paulsen reported TMV causing symptomless infections in cannabis (Hemp Diseases and Pests).

I suppose it is possible, however I think it is unlikely we are looking at TMV on the boards in the last few years. As far as ChemD tissue samples supposedly testing positive for "the Virus" at UC Davis or where ever, well... If I remember correctly, this evidence came to light via a rival breeder right about the exact time Rez was releasing his -at the time- latest ChemD work. Meanwhile the rival or a friend was working on a "virus free" line too. I could be wrong, but I found it all somewhat suspicious I guess.

If we knew we had a virus -or some other systemic disease- there's tissue culture (easier said than done probably), or try to breed your way out while employing thermotherapy to seeds each generation before sprouting.

Again, I doubt this is what we're dealing with. I suspect it is a harmless case of inbreeding depression coupled with a threshold effect. That these symptoms are often showing up and "spreading" in the Chem, OG's, diesels etc, is just a little too much of a coincidence imo. More likely that it "spread" (read: the trait expressed itself among plants sharing that trait) right at the time an environmental threshold was met. That some folks are reporting symptoms and some reporting none (with the exact same clone) is a little off the mark too imo if we were looking a virus. There might be a temperature sensitive threshold to be reached, it might have to do with feeding, it could be almost anything, but folks who "have the TMV" are very likely doing something different with their environment than folks who "don't know what these other guys are talking about". The trait can be there, and require some environmental trigger for it to be expressed, this is quite common. This seems the most logical explanation to me, but who knows. -Tom

N

NOYB

That some folks are reporting symptoms and some reporting none (with the exact same clone) is a little off the mark too imo if we were looking a virus.
Thanx for the input Tom! Always value what you have to say. Only think I can think here is that IF a certain family of genetics was held pretty tightly then a growers stock became infected whatever 'line' they released would carry that. Considering the explosion of replication that some cuts have experienced it's somewhat plausible that contaminated cuts could become prevalent.

Your response is comforting in that I've give some 'suspected' cuts out to friends and hate to see their previous stock contaminated or worse them make beans which could potentially spread stuff even more.

I PM'd Tom Hill to check if he wanted to chime in. Only person I know of that may provide some valuable input. If he doesn't know then for sure would know someone that does...I think.

With the information he gave I'd have to guess University of California Davis if he means UC as University of California. He didn't say he took it just that it was tested and pretty sure it's UCD. I'll PM him. No reason he just can't say so we're clear. Believe it or not thought of them last night as an option but have no connections there.

I also PM'd Harborside at the account they have on another forum to see if they are interested in following through with some testing with connections they have. EDIT - they don't have PM function due to lack of posts and don't have time to deal with them directly.

Davis popped into my mind, too. Honestly, it would probably not be that difficult to find someone at UC Berkeley or UC Santa Cruz (my number 2 guess if not Davis) to test the sample, either (UC San Diego is doing some MMJ trials, so it might not be too tough there either). You can PM Harborside on WT if you are a member there.

Latest posts

Latest posts