What's new

Need a good ph meter

P

painroad

Anybody refer me a good ph meter? My hanna hand held doesn't seem to be very stable. Was about to soak my rockwool and the numbers were going up and down. Would like to get it today sometime, was hoping to get some advice from some growers instead of some random dude from the hydro shop. Yes i did calibrate it before using. I'm not a fan of hanna anymore need something more stable

Peace

G

good drown

Oakton Eco Tester pH meter
its $70, works well, 1 year warranty that your shop will cover, can't beat that! i recommend you get a storing solution as well, fill the cap with a tiny amount after each use and the probe will last longer

purple_man

Veteran
high painroad!

i would recommend you a GREISINGER!!! costs around 99€ BUT, has a 1/100 precission, is very fast to show you the results (2-3 secs) unlike milwaukee and some others... also you have a temperature regulator, to adjust to your water temperature.

blessss

HydroManiac

oaktron ph10 is really good I don't like the 70.00 one's they don't seem to last all that long but the ph10 is a workhorse

Think Green

I agree with Freezer. :yes: The little pH test kits with Indicator solution will never steer you wrong. I've never seen Indicator solution have the batteries run out! :bigeye:

P

painroad

oaktron ph10 is really good I don't like the 70.00 one's they don't seem to last all that long but the ph10 is a workhorse

Oakton® Waterproof Double Junction pHTestr® 10
Large Display

this one? Do they give pretty quick readings?

Anybody refer me a good ph meter? My hanna hand held doesn't seem to be very stable. Was about to soak my rockwool and the numbers were going up and down. Would like to get it today sometime, was hoping to get some advice from some growers instead of some random dude from the hydro shop. Yes i did calibrate it before using. I'm not a fan of hanna anymore need something more stable

Peace

The electrode of any pH meter will eventually fail, you may have already been doing it - but when you get your new meter, make sure you store the electrode in pH 4 or pH 7 solution.

I'd also recommend you get a meter with a separate electrode, rather than a pen. Honestly, if you have to buy something today you are probably going to be limited by whatever brand the store has, so I won't recommend a specific brand or model.

P

painroad

The electrode of any pH meter will eventually fail, you may have already been doing it - but when you get your new meter, make sure you store the electrode in pH 4 or pH 7 solution.

I'd also recommend you get a meter with a separate electrode, rather than a pen. Honestly, if you have to buy something today you are probably going to be limited by whatever brand the store has, so I won't recommend a specific brand or model.

Ya sadly my meter has been in storage for over 3 yrs so no solution but i will be doing that with the new 1:)

flatcurve

I kept mine stored in solution and it actually crapped out on me today. Had to use my "backup" test strips and realized that these things have never done me wrong. So I'm not replacing the meter. My water always comes out of the tap at the same Ph, and the amount of ferts and Ph Down I throw in it always brings it into the right range. The only reason I've ever doubted it has been when my meter was off it's calibration. I'm done with 'em.

strips/drops are never wrong, and are way cheaper.

CannabisTHC

The Oakton Ecotestr is a pretty nice PH meter, used it for a little over a year then it died on me. Its cheap and costs about as much as a PH probe on other units.

I also use PH drops to make sure the PH meter is calibrated correctly. The PH meter will sway readings after 3 weeks or so +/-.2 from my experiences, so calibrating frequently is key.

Now I use this continuous meter and its worked pretty good.

G

growingcrazy

I kept mine stored in solution and it actually crapped out on me today. Had to use my "backup" test strips and realized that these things have never done me wrong. So I'm not replacing the meter. My water always comes out of the tap at the same Ph, and the amount of ferts and Ph Down I throw in it always brings it into the right range. The only reason I've ever doubted it has been when my meter was off it's calibration. I'm done with 'em.

strips/drops are never wrong, and are way cheaper.

How do you check ph with the drops when the water isn't clear. It obviously changes the test outcome color. I have the drops and can only check ph before adding anything to the water. Am I missing something?

boroboro

I've been using ph drops for years. I replace the bottle only when the label gets so worn out that the color chart gets a bit fuzzy.

I'm wondering if they're accurate enough for fine work, though. It works OK for me, to get reasonably close to 6.0 ph, or test if runoff is much more or less than that. I would like to try feeding around 5.5 ph, though, and I wonder if I can discern the color accurately enough. I don't want to aim for 5.5 ph, but actually end up at 5.2.

Can you really see halfway between yellow (6.0) and orange (5.0)? It could be my old eyes, of course...

I though my Hanna went tits-up also; after about 18 months. Ready to buy another...

I replaced the probe for $50 and it now works fine. I know the probe is expensive as some whole meters. My Hanna is the one with 0.01 pH accuracy so I wanted to save it. I'm glad I tried a new probe!

But, like everyone else, I keep a drops test kit for confidence tests.

boroboro

How do you check ph with the drops when the water isn't clear. It obviously changes the test outcome color. I have the drops and can only check ph before adding anything to the water. Am I missing something?

How colored is your water? Are you using the tiny vial that comes with the GH test solution?

It seems to me that the nute solution looks colored in a big jar, but much closer to clear in the small, narrow test vial. Close enough to clear that it doesn't seem to change the test color I'm looking for.

Maybe that's just with the nutes I've used, though: GH Micro/Bloom, PureBlend Pro, Ionic.

Latest posts

Latest posts