What's new

Need a good organic composted soil

rrog

Veteran
I'm new to the soil section, so hopefully I won't get beaten too badly here.

I need an organic soil, high compost, without additives such as Myco, guano, etc. I'll be adding these things separately.

Maybe Lowes or Home Depot may has something?

Thanks for any insight.

maryjohn

Veteran
no beatings my man, but perhaps I can direct you to the stickies, where you will find numerous recipes. I use something like LC's soil mix, which is very good. if you live in a very dry or very wet place, you'll want to ask around for modifications or make your own mix and try to observe how performs.

If you have trouble finding ingredients, let us know your region of the planet and chances are someone else will be from there too and know where to send you.

Remember on this board and most others, everyone is talking to you from a different set of experiences, so you can wind up with two or more contradictory right answers.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
chances are you wont find soil like that at home depot. i would check local pant nursery's first and ask them.

or make your own soil.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I'm new to the soil section, so hopefully I won't get beaten too badly here.

I need an organic soil, high compost, without additives such as Myco, guano, etc. I'll be adding these things separately.

Maybe Lowes or Home Depot may has something?

Thanks for any insight.
rrog

Depending on where you're located, Lowe's carries a straight peat moss product under the name of 'Lakeland' which is packed by Sun Gro Horticulture who manufactures the Sunshine Mix line of products and the Black Gold consumer product line.

Locally, Lowe's sells perlite in 3.8 (or is it 4.0) cf bags. Peat moss and perlite is the basis of any soil regardless of where you purchase it.

That should get you started...............

HTH

CC

rrog

Veteran
Hi guys, Thanks for the replies. This is an inside grow, I'll be adding perlite, nutrients, etc myself. I don't have ability to compost so I need in a bag.

I was hoping I could order bags of Fox Farms in the mail or some such thing. Looking for an organic bag brand that is not fortified already.

Thanks again

rrog

Veteran
That's the answer right there. I am really glad for that. Thank you so much. I'll buy bags and be done.

Thanks again!

EDIT:
oops. Ocean Forest is heavily fortified. I'll keep looking. I've sent an email to Fox Farms

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I also went looking for recipes in the stickies and couldn't find much that helped me.
Most went on and on with multiple products that ended up costing more than an ounce of high quality weed. ;>}

I finally ended up deciding on following this simple recipe, which I will buy shortly.

coco/perlite/worm castings

CocoGro Coir - Bale (makes 65-70 liters) $14.50
Perlite, 4 cu. Ft. $18.99
Organic Worm Castings 24 Lbs Free Shipping $24.00

I may also include: Hoffman #15503 10QT Sphagnum Peat Moss $4.53

Anyone who can lend their voice to this suggestion would be most welcome.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
But there's no actual "soil" in that.

Oops I suppose you are right, sorry
I did look at the fox farm soils and it just didn't seem justified for the cost.
I have attempted making my own soil with what is available locally and I'm not sure it is working out well enough.
If anyone can help me in this selection, I would be most appreciative.
I don't have any stores nearby beyond ACE hardware, not even a Walmart or Homedepot !

With those bags of soil, do you still need to add all the other products ?

maryjohn

Veteran
hey owl, we could use your help, because we are trying to rework the stickies. There is a cheap and easy soil mix in there called LC's soil mix, and it's a shame you didn't find it. you too, rrog.

What woud you like to see in terms of organization, and in particular which keywords would you be looking for in the titles?

C

CT Guy

Hi guys, Thanks for the replies. This is an inside grow, I'll be adding perlite, nutrients, etc myself. I don't have ability to compost so I need in a bag.

I was hoping I could order bags of Fox Farms in the mail or some such thing. Looking for an organic bag brand that is not fortified already.

Thanks again

Where are you located? I've got something that may work well....send me a PM

WJS

The stickies have been taken down to be cleaned up and modified to make it less confusing for beginners.

They will be back, and I think have just sunk down to the second page if you'd like to go back and do some reading......(although there are LOTS of pages to go through, hence the updating of them)

As to organic soil.
If you can, just get some earth worm castings and use that mixed with your amendments.
Not much else you can find at lowes and the such. If you can, avoid that miracle grow crap....it's full of bugs like gnats.....

rrog

Veteran
That's good info. Thanks. Maybe I should just cook up a batch of black compost from scratch. Might take 45 days. I'll Google this.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you can make homemade compost, that is the best option in the long run. you can use it in place of peat with much better results. that is if your patient enough or plan ahead.

rrog

Veteran
That's what I'll do, then. Thanks for the nudge in that direction.

Might there be a recipe and a fast system? I'm imagining an aerated tumbler? With added orgs

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it really depends on the material you can get and how fast. have you composted before or are you trying it for the first time? what kind of space do you have? with the right care nothing beats homemade compost.

rrog

Veteran
I've got some acreage. I've been googling and youtubing composters, especially tumblers.

This would be my first time composting, but I understand the process pretty well. It boils down to the composter itself I see.

Tumblers are looking good.

Latest posts

Latest posts