What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Natty’s Nook

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
natty, i think we're on the same level when it comes to growing plants... that is, why bother growing if it won't reward you with something? especially FRUIT!!!

My Mum grows roses... they look all pretty and stuff, and they smell nice... but you can't eat them, and there's only so long you can smell the roses before it starts to look dodgy yknow!?... give me your garden any day of the week!

ps. can you please not grow any Kiwifruit, i will take this as a personal slap in the face, kthx ... you can still grow any other fruit though!!! :p

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
natty, i think we're on the same level when it comes to growing plants... that is, why bother growing if it won't reward you with something? especially FRUIT!!!
My Mum grows roses... they look all pretty and stuff, and they smell nice... but you can't eat them, and there's only so long you can smell the roses before it starts to look dodgy yknow!?... give me your garden any day of the week!

ps. can you please not grow any Kiwifruit, i will take this as a personal slap in the face, kthx ... you can still grow any other fruit though!!! :p

:D
I fully agree w/ your gardening philosophy!
However, I wouldn’t include Roses: Rosewater! Not only is it excellent for the skin, it smells divine too! I use it every morning.
I do break the “if it doesn’t reward w/ fruit, why grow it” rule w/ a few flowers though…For instance, I always have Snapdragons around, and they always make me think of you!!
Glad to see you Pheno!! I hope this finds you in high spirits!!

PS: Don’t worry, kiwi wouldn’t survive here. :/

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
PS: Don’t worry, kiwi wouldn’t survive here. :/
This is great news, not just for Australians, but everyone ... let us pack! :)

ps. If your rosewater sales take off is there any chance you can start paying me royalties? it might set me up for life which would be nice, so please be considerate

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Is it just me or do pix upload way faster than they used to? :woohoo:
Maybe it’s just b/c I was busy/distracted, taking bonghits while the pix uploaded, but things sure seem a lot faster. It was discouragingly slow.

A little update…
Here’s the pix of the Romaine and Celery 're-grow’, (I guess you can do it with carrots too, but I haven’t tried yet.) It’s ridiculously easy, wish I'd tried it sooner!

That photo was taken just 3 or 4 days after I put them in water…I saw new growth begin just a few hours after I put them in water! I’m gonna put 2 of them in soil today.

Here’s my mini lettuce patch of lettuce and arugula, I’m about to harvest from and the cucumbers I started this week…

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Is it just me or do pix upload way faster than they used to? :woohoo:
Really? You're celebrating your images uploading in 3 instead of 4 seconds? :p

Here’s my mini lettuce patch of lettuce and arugula, I’m about to harvest from and the cucumbers I started this week…
Woot, hope the cucumbers are good! they're one of my fave additions to a hamburger with a chicken patty, or a ham salad sandwich.

Ok enough from me! :p

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Ok, so I know I haven’t been around a lot recently, so I dunno if it's just me, but I can’t post more than 5 smilies/photos per post…so here’s another post, to finish the last!

I planted a bunch of Lavender the last couple seasons, I’m hoping it will take over the little 2’ x 8’ concrete bed I have it in, here’s one of the plants I put in this year…

I think I'm gonna put in a bunch more Lavender, and Russian Sage, in the 18 (or so) empty planters I have out front. Still a lot left to do! I still have to finish setting up some of the irrigation…sigh.

One of the Salvia I have out front and…ahhh, utto…I think it’s Dragon’s Beard, lol I’ll have to double check. :D

That’s all I got for now, time to start the day!
:witch:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Thanks for the pictures Natty! Nice to see your herbs flourishing :) I will dust off the old camera today and see what I can chronicle for you!

Thanks for this thread!

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
May I ask why no kiwi.

Natty watch the mint she likes to spread. and I never ever will grow oregano again. The Kudzo of herbs IMHE

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
:wave: High Natty. good to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I started some plants on my patio. I guess I figured since I have all this fertilizer I better get some plants (that can be seen.) . I grow catnip a lot. I have an Apple tree, but I think its getting sick, Maybe i'll start a thread. Most are just houseplants I got from cuttings from neighbors and my mom. I've been playing around with the idea of growing venus flytraps hydroponically.:woohoo::cathug::watchplant:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:wave: High Natty. good to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I started some plants on my patio. I guess I figured since I have all this fertilizer I better get some plants (that can be seen.) . I grow catnip a lot. I have an Apple tree, but I think its getting sick, Maybe i'll start a thread. Most are just houseplants I got from cuttings from neighbors and my mom. I've been playing around with the idea of growing venus flytraps hydroponically.:woohoo::cathug::watchplant:
venus flytraps get the bulk of their food from bugs and not the soils they grow in which tend to be very nutrient poor...

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Lovely garden, girl! I'll have a chair here to be able to observe your garden closer from now on. :lurk:
good luck with your garden. :tiphat:

@cought_err:
they need very little or no nutrient and and acidic soil. (they usually grow in bogs.)
they do pretty well in long fiber spaghnum moss, I personally never heard about them being grown in hidro till now.

good luck with your plants too! :wave:

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Oh you guys are the best!! :)
Yeah, I heard mint likes to spread, that’s another reason I went w/ containers for those, (along w/ the ease of caring for it…weeding hurts!)
I actually have a bunch of ‘wild' mint growing all along the irrigation channel in the back…I use it in my passion fruit iced tea all summer. Yum!

As for the kiwi…I guess I never really considered adding kiwiw…I guess I always figured they grew more for semi-tropical climates.
Maybe I’ll consider adding one in the fall or next spring, (depending on their preference), just don’t tell Pheno! lol. :peek:

Thank you so much for all of the company!!
You guys are the best!! :huggg:
Really glad to see Cough Cougher and Exploziv_Gbb stop in too!
Thanks to you all!
Now I’m off to water my yarden…I really need to finish setting up the irrigation; watering each morning is really cramping my morning chore list. :/
:witch:

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
i had a few venus fly traps in my veg cab and i think they were living on the fungus knats after a while the fly trap died and there was no knats

Latest posts

Latest posts