What's new

Natria Garden (Formerly Serenade)

zizration

i have this theory that the newer hybrids are more prone to the pm. older genetics ,although not as "fancy" , seem to be hardier...kind of like pure bred dogs..muts are healthier than the ones that have been heavily bred into existence..

right on queue...http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...banned-pesticide-being-found/article33643174/

Two more licensed medical marijuana producers have voluntarily recalled hundreds of grams of the drug after traces of a controversial pesticide banned in Canada were detected in their supply, raising questions about Ottawa’s oversight of an industry expected to explode with the upcoming legalization of cannabis.

Last week, Organigram, a publicly traded grower based in Moncton, expanded a Dec. 28 recall of a small amount of product to include almost all of its cannabis buds and oils produced in 2016.

On Monday, Aurora Cannabis Enterprises Inc., a publicly traded firm based in Alberta, announced it had recalled seven lots of cannabis it had bought from Organigram and sold to its clients – through the mail-order system overseen by Health Canada – from August to October of last year.

troutman

Seed Whore
i have this theory that the newer hybrids are more prone to the pm. older genetics ,although not as "fancy" , seem to be hardier...kind of like pure bred dogs..muts are healthier than the ones that have been heavily bred into existence..

I totally agree.

Makes sense that plants considered elites would be more weak in terms of disease because they are selected for high yields instead.

Possibly taking an old strain and crossing it with a new one is the way to go?

By old strain. I mean something created at least 20 years ago.

Tynehead Tom

right on queue...http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...banned-pesticide-being-found/article33643174/

Two more licensed medical marijuana producers have voluntarily recalled hundreds of grams of the drug after traces of a controversial pesticide banned in Canada were detected in their supply, raising questions about Ottawa’s oversight of an industry expected to explode with the upcoming legalization of cannabis.

Last week, Organigram, a publicly traded grower based in Moncton, expanded a Dec. 28 recall of a small amount of product to include almost all of its cannabis buds and oils produced in 2016.

On Monday, Aurora Cannabis Enterprises Inc., a publicly traded firm based in Alberta, announced it had recalled seven lots of cannabis it had bought from Organigram and sold to its clients – through the mail-order system overseen by Health Canada – from August to October of last year.

so if this is true..... wow folks

if you are a patient getting your medicine from Organigram or Aurora, you are in a position right now to go to your lawyer. Consuming medicine you believed was safe because it was produced under the provisions of health canada.
This is a wide open door to file class action against the federal government, health canada and the licensed LP's.
Can you say tainted medicine?
just because it's marijuana doesn't mean the same shit don't apply.
If your pharmacist or a pharmaceutical manufacturer fed you medicine laced with pesticides or some other harmfull substance what would happen?
A law suit at the minimum.

Tynehead Tom

I totally agree.

Makes sense that plants considered elites would be more weak in terms of disease because they are selected for high yields instead.

Possibly taking an old strain and crossing it with a new one is the way to go?

i thought powdery mildew imbedded itself at the cellular level. this to me would mean that left untreated in a plant that was used for breeding, would that not pass the infection into seed?
I am just thinking out loud but if so, would certainly explain a lot.
anyone way smarter than me care to comment ? hehehe

troutman

Seed Whore
I don't think what I have or had is powdery mildew at all to be honest. It never grew on the plants at all.
I've seen powdery mildew on watermelon, cucumber and zucchini plants before. It's not the same thing
that affected me.

I only saw it grow on the surface of the soil and it came out from the holes in the bottom of the pot.

I honestly don't have a clue what it is.

Seeds are basically unaffected by bacteria and fungus if they stay dry.
Worse case scenario they could be treated beforehand. I'm not worried.

zizration

exactly. the strain i have that is PM resistant is rumoured to be from late 80's early 90's. it is a nice sweet smelling and tasting smoke. super crystal laden. doesn't have the punch of a pink kush tho. so it isn't for a lot of the younger crowd. it gets you plenty baked tho IMHO, but leaves you able to function.. did i say its smells and tastes great.. :) id say the name but my buddie will have a stroke if i do.. i have a blueberry male I'm presently trying to collect pollen and breed it with this female. fingers crossed.. :)

Limeygreen

Veteran
Do not spray or burn sulfur in a flower room that is intended for consumption, it is nasty shit and could cause harm people igniting it or consuming it.

The problem with Indicas of cannabis afghanica is that it comes from a place of low humidity and mildew is generally never around or present and if it is, it is in low amounts. Same reason lps can have problems growing them in summer and get bud rot.

Based on cultural practices also, this can be a cause of mildew, no pruning, big bushes, not proper density etc etc. Mildew is the worst problem lps are facing I have been told by several growers. They have actinovate and can use sulfur in non flowering rooms. Emptying the room infect and then washing down with soap and then bleaching the room after every spec of organic matter is gone is the best way to rid the room. When you have greenhouses it becomes tougher, you need to worry about spores coming from outside as well. If Bacillus Subtilis was allowed in production in conjuction with potassium bicarbonate and a silica either in spray form or drench (as long as it's active for the plant to uptake) can be very useful tools to control the mildews and botrytis etc but how safe they are for ingestion after is in question. Warehouses are worse as the climates are completely different. The best solution is to have resistant strains if anyone actually has them at lps and then the next problem is growers who know what they are doing and not basement heros. You need a good active climate which means using vents and heat to drive humidity out and then avoiding the 10-15% difference in humidity swings, even more important in flower, not an easy task and will not be 100% either, it's a tool. I would wager that a lot of LP's are jacking up the nitrogen and forgetting to elevate potassium to make them plants less lush as they are trying to pump things out, too much nitrogen can make them even more susceptible to mildew, soft tissue and lazy plants. Cold drafts can cause mildew as well, it is simple and complicated at the same time, you could do everything right and still get mildew if it is present and there is a spot for it to grow.

LPS need to embrace sea of green and burn and turn then do huge disinfection practices between crops, high density and budsicles. If they would stop telling me they can't get good yield this way due to not enough roots, they need to adjust their practices as it can be done if they did it correctly. Flood tables, rockwool blocks and stainless wires suspended to use as supports (qliper) with spring steel and foam clips that can be steamed. Anyone should be able to achieve high yields this way and reduce their labour and increase quality tremendously. a 10 x 10 rockwool block will support a plant that is 3-4 feet tall no problem as long as you saturate the blocks and allow them to dry out which requires monitoring in the greenhouse but no where near impossible.

Burn and turn, less problems due to short crop cycles and less exposure to problems, will it solve everything, no, but it would help imo.

troutman

Seed Whore
The problem with Indicas of cannabis afghanica is that it comes from a place of low humidity and mildew is generally never around or present and if it is, it is in low amounts.

I've noticed that the healthiest plants have the lightest pots.
The ones I overwatered earlier on don't look so nice.
I will have to think dryer climate with them from now on.
There's so much to learn.

zizration

Do not spray or burn sulfur in a flower room that is intended for consumption, it is nasty shit and could cause harm people igniting it or consuming it.

The problem with Indicas of cannabis afghanica is that it comes from a place of low humidity and mildew is generally never around or present and if it is, it is in low amounts.

i thought you could burn sulfur the first 7-10 days of flower? i guess i should have said that. but otherwise i 100% agree. you don't want to put stuff on buds period.

i would've thought the humidity in areas like pakistan and afganistan would be fairly high.?

HiFiGanja

Watching for huge swings in humidity and temperature and dialing them in will help as well, avoiding cold drafts or air coming in also will help.

I always ask growers where the PM shows in their rooms and 80-% of the times its always on the air intake side where hot inside air mixes with cold outside air.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Careful on the low humidity as well, it can cause smaller leaves with thick cuticles and therefore less photosynthesis and smaller yields of poorer quality. Working with VPD or HD would be easier as long as you can maintain a stable deficit and temperature uniformly across the growing area you can handle higher humidities, getting it all stable is key for it to work. If you have one spot colder or hotter or dry or wetter (like the air intake) you are not stable and will have problems.

I thought most varieties in Afghanistan and such were in more desert climates that were drier, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.