What's new

Nanolux DE chill in a tent?

bmp420gti

Has anyone run the new nanolux DE chill in a tent and had results? Right now I run a Raptor air cooled dual bulb fixture in one of my 5x5 tents, air ducted out with 6 inch ducting, I have another 5x5 that I run a gavita in, but its way too hot to leave the tent sealed up.

I'm just wondering if anyone has run these lights in a tent with results, or if there are any other ductable DE lights out there I don't know of? thanks.

Big M

The Nanolux Chill looks like a nice light. Might not be the best choice for a small area though. Their description lists it as a commercial overlap light, meaning that it is intended to be hung high, with its light overlapping with the lights next to it. It would have a wide light pattern because of that, but may work out alright in a tent with reflective walls.

Sun System's AC/DE hood is designed for air cooling a DE bulb, and would likely have a more focused pattern of light, without spreading out as much as a commercial fixture.

Both of these lights are built in a way that the airflow does not pass directly over the bulb, which is important for DE bulbs. I found that out after impulse buying an air cooled DE light on Cyber Monday. Turns out that directly air cooling a DE HPS bulb negatively effects output, spectrum, and bulb life.

The Nanolux Chill has the ballast built in, and the Sun System AC/DE does not. I would think an external ballast would be better for keeping a tent cool.

bmp420gti

Yeah I read up on not flowing air over a DE bulb, thanks for that. I did see it was an overlap fixture but I figure in a tent with reflecting walls it should be solid.

The sun systems does look good, I didn't even know it existed. Thanks for your input, hopefully more DE tent options will come along, not everyone wants to run LEDs, haha.

Big M

I like the idea of DE's for their increased efficiency and higher UV output, as well as being dirt cheap per watt. For a tent, having a dimmable ballast along with a proper air cooled hood seems mandatory. Most folks running 1000 watt DE HPS are saying they need to keep their lights three feet from the canopy running at full blast. Might run out of height fast in a tent, even with air cooling.