What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NAME THIS BUG and you can do what no other can

grapeman

Veteran
If it's plant excretions, more likely it's amino acids. I have had similar tiny clear/white balls on stems of crops before. Usually on very vigorous growth.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
It does look like scale, but it acts like a fungus. You can't see the crawlers, maybe because there is no crawlers. Maybe it is fungus sending out spores and pollinating your plants. Don't forget about fungus.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did I miss a description of the effects to the plant? Also sorry if I missed...are they hard or soft?

MIway

Veteran
Starting to like the excretion/deposit suggestions... when I noticed them... was using Barricade (KSi) & BBud (w AA)... so had both of these supplements at the time. Room a bit warm, low RH... bigger plants for a smaller pot. No movements ever on the dots/scales... never once saw anything move. But didn't have the dots quite like yours bro...???

How'd the alcohol wipe & microscope check turn out? Curious...

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Starting to like the excretion/deposit suggestions... when I noticed them... was using Barricade (KSi) & BBud (w AA)... so had both of these supplements at the time. Room a bit warm, low RH... bigger plants for a smaller pot. No movements ever on the dots/scales... never once saw anything move. But didn't have the dots quite like yours bro...???

How'd the alcohol wipe & microscope check turn out? Curious...

So i wrapped a soaking towel around a particularly heavily affected part of the stem and left it there for five minutes or more. It did not dissolve them and so i think they are maybe not salt deposits. It had no effect on them.
It being memorial day i was not able to pick up a magnification device, but will tomorrow. After i take a peak at 100x magnification i should know more. Silly of me not to have upped my magnification yet. 30x did not tell me much.

GoneRooty thanks for explaining that for me. I see now that they could be lenticils and think the magnification test may help me to see things more clearly.

Grapeman...hmm had not considered amino acids. Anyway of testing to see if that is what they are? These definitely spread from older to newer growth. Bottom to top.

Bullfrog i think i may look into some wide range fungicides if the magnification test is inconclusive. Thanks for the thought, any ideas as to a good product if it is?

JWM not sure which, scale or fungus? Scale is an insect.

Microbeman hey there. They are pretty hard. I can rub them off with my fingers or a wet towel, but they are stuck on there pretty good. When they are removed it looks like when a scab is removed from the skin. My observations have been that they start to cause issues in flower. They quickly multiply throughout veg and then explode come flower. I have noticed an overall lack of vigor on some plants and necrosis on others. I found honeydew twice, a small drop each time. Around the same time i also saw a nautilus shaped white object stuck to a stem. I think i saw maybe three of these total all around the same time. I assumed they were related to the bumps because they all happened or were noticed during the same grow...but hmmm maybe they are different unrelated phenomenon.

BrnCow those are cool. never seen a spittle bug until i just googled it. No spittle has been found on the plant and also nothing that is clearly a 'bug'.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my vote is also for lenticels - pores that form on green stems which can absorb oxygen. im not 100% sure that cannabis has them though....

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my vote is also for lenticels - pores that form on green stems which can absorb oxygen. im not 100% sure that cannabis has them though....

But can lenticels be removed as descrided BUT once removed what remains? is it an opening or smooth tissue?

Stem nematodes?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i guess there may be a hole left behind but it may only be the size of a stomata and not visible to the naked eye ??

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
inreplyavalon, are they on all your plants or just certain strains? what are you growing in?

GoneRooty

Lenticels, from what I understand, are basically pores in the stems, roots, branches, etc of plants. They provide direct gas exchange between the atmosphere and the underlying tissue of the plant. The usually form at the site of stomata, they basically serve the same function as leaf stomata, and can appear as raised circular, oval or elongated patches on stems and branches. I would assume that if you scrape a lenticel off the stem it would most definitely leave a scab/scar of some sort, since you're basically taking a "stem stomata" off the stem.
Lenticels are very important for wetland plants, since they allow for gas exchange even during times of flood. So I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with the way/amount you water? Do you "flood" your buckets? As in, adding so much water that it pools in the pot before seeping down. This simulated flood could very well cause the plant to develop lenticels as a way of ensuring proper gas exchange.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
intresting ideea. "Hemp diseases and pests: management and biological control" contains some info about the topic.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran

Interesting read Microbeman. Thanks for sharin ghtat. I'll need to spend some time between those pages.
Also when they are removed it is a smooth surface on the tem to the naked Eye. Need to take a closer look under magnification. Hope they are not stem nematodes. Those just sound painful.

VERDANTGREEN WOW! Those lenticils sure do look a lot like what i am experiencing. What a trip these may not be bugs after all.
I am growing in pure Coco. Drip to Waste. They are present in varying numbers on all strains. They seem to like the woody stemmed plants significantly more. Some plants seem to only have a few centered around branch nodes and others, like the strawberry Diesel pictured get thousands on the lower 3/4 of the plant.

URSUS Howdy. No regular foliar feed regimen. So i have them when i do and i have them on runs when i dont.

GONEROOTY That is some serious detective work my friend.
I often feed by pouring a whole gallon of water onto the top of my plants. I like to get all the surface and that is the sure-fire way of doing it. Interesting to think that could cause it. The only reason i can find to refute it is that i imagine myself to be one of many who sometimes feed that way,and i would think we would see a lot more of this. Though it would likely have a lot to do with individual environments also causing the conditions... I am beginning to think that maybe these are not bugs after all, but then again maybe they are.

exploziv_gbb I have heard this book referenced a few times now. Maybe its time to buy. What "topic" are you referring to that the book references?