What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mystery Auto Grow

pjlive

Just getting this thread ready. I have five unknown auto seeds. Probably from The Attitude, but I'm not even sure about that. I lost the label on the pack long ago. I'm going in for day surgery this morning for one of my shoulders. Tomorrow I should be able to start cracking one or two of the beans and plan to post the grow as I go.

This will be a simple one while I'm recovering and doing some PT over the next couple of months. One or two plants in a germ., veg. and clone 2x2. After that I plan to resume an Auto cross project I've been working on and want to start posting those grows too. I'm hoping whatever this plant turns out to be it will be a good one. If it's good, maybe I can consider the other seeds for a cross or herm. These freebies should definitely be feminized seeds, but in the case they're not and I happen to reveal a male, I'm going to just grow it out and collect the pollen it yields.

If there are any cannabis super geniuses out there who can tell what the plant is after it buds up and blooms, feel free to let me know. Never in a million years will I be able to tell. I'm just going to be looking for use properties when it's done. I'd like to get another pure Indica or at the very least heavily Indica leaning plant to use one day with the remaining seeds. If it isn't that's OK too. This will give me a little something to do and keep me Indoor grow active while I'm on the mend.

pjlive

This pic is from yesterday. I'm just now getting around to dropping the seed into a moist paper towel blanket. I'm hoping it will reveal a root by sometime tomorrow for Memorial Day. Decided on one plant instead of two. Going to be a little slower going over the next couple of weeks, but should pick up again from there.

1653809248960.png

Last edited:

pjlive

A day late, but it's always worth the wait. This is a good enough seed root for me. Might have transplanted yesterday, but there was only a nub of a root so I decided not to push it. As it is this morning the root remains short but is nice and erect, healthy looking, which I consider a sign of good things to come. I like to use pucks, so off it goes. I'll resume pics and updates once the seedling is able to breach the surface of the puck. The young plant will hit the surface between 150-175 PAR, as soon as a neckline appears PAR will be increased to between 225 and 250. I'm using distilled water for the seedling pH corrected to around 6.5.

1653980705931.png

pjlive

Mystery Auto Grow Plan:

Media Mix for a 2 gallon fabric pot:
  • 40% Peat
  • 50% Perlite
  • 10% Hand shredded brown pine bark mulch
If the surface area of the pot starts to show roots, vermiculite mixed with straight peat moss will be used in a 50:50 ratio to top off. I prefer clay marbles, but don't have any on hand for this grow and still have quite a bit of vermiculite to use up.

Pot Amendments:
  • 80 grams dolomite lime
  • 25 grams calcium carbonate
  • 40 grams white eggshell, heat sanitized then pulverized to near powder in a coffee grinder
  • 15 grams extended release pressed gypsum granules
  • 40 grams gypsum powder
Fertigations begin immediately after transplantation of the puck into the final pot with Jack's 20-10-20 at adjusted ratios on-the-fly.
  • Bud Set fertigations begin with Jack's 10-30-20
  • Flower fertigations begin with Masterblend 20-20-20
  • Approach to senescence begins with Masterblend 04-18-38
  • Finish stays with Masterblend 04-18-38.
From veg. on: Epsom salts (0.75 grams / gallon) + Liquid silica (2ml / gallon for veg. to flo. and 1ml / gallon for flo. to finish).

I don't provide a final flush period, preferring to eliminate any nutrient holdings with the dry and cure processes. 18/6 light schedule remains in place right down to the chop, no extended blackout period.

I'll list on-the-fly ratio adjustments as I grow.

pH adjustments will be made using FOOP's Up and Down. I should be gradually ramping UP most if not all of the time.

Light for the 2x2 is a Mars TS1000. I will not be utilizing either additional Far Red or UVB satellites for this grow as it is an Auto and I prefer to move right along with it as smoothly as possible with only essential changes to the environment aside from the obvious contrast between veg. and flo.

Aside from germination and sprouting, RO water will be used. I like to begin things at a 0-3 ppm baseline.

Lastly, I'll either net or LST this plant. I need to see it branch before I decide. If it is going to be LST it will only be done on the main stem. Minimal defoliation will take place, if any. I'll tuck here and there if needed.

Note: I'm intentionally using a 2 gallon pot here for a first grow on a plant I don't know. I do keep logs for every plant I grow. For plants I know, I will sometimes be in a 3 gallon, and often in a 5 gallon depending on the typical size of the phenotypes I'm working with. Also, I like to use minimal runoff systems of between 2.5 and 5%. But, seeing as I don't know this plant I'll be following through with complete runoffs of between 20 and 30% (possibly even greater if I run into big variations in runoff pH/EC) and keeping a log of how the plant does through the grow. Wasteful, yes, I know -- I know. BUT, I collect residual runoff and eventually dilute it before using it outside.

Hopefully this will be a female. It should be. If it turns out not to be I'll go from there once it's conclusive. Otherwise I'm going to just assume a female plant.

Any and all criticisms on the grow are very welcome. I don't mind being grabbed by the back of the head to have my nose pressed into a clear mistake that I can learn from.

Last edited:

bibi40

eager to see the results , but my thought is perhaps a 5 gals container should be better ,
anyway a good test besides what your used to ...

all the best mate !

pjlive

eager to see the results , but my thought is perhaps a 5 gals container should be better ,
anyway a good test besides what your used to ...

all the best mate !
Thank you, bibi!

Yes, indeed a bigger pot would be better. My hope is that I'll be able to get through this grow as quickly as possible so I can move on to and continue with my auto crosses. I'm worried that this plant will end up being a 4 or 4.5 month strain. I'm hoping that if I use a smaller 2 gallon pot it will finish faster. Less yield, I know as well as running the risk of getting root bound (which will likely happen anyway). But, I'd like to run it this way and see what I get. Good advice, though.

I should get a seedling over the next couple or few days. Currently the seed has not breached the surface of the puck. When it does, I will try to post at least weekly pics and updates on what I'm doing as I go.

I appreciate you watching and keeping an eye on things. Your input on anything at all with Autos will always be very welcome.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Taking a seat, curious to see what grows out of this mystery seed. :lurk:

Best of luck!
rolling the dice on mystery genetics. :bow: i understand the importance of known landrace genes and their place, but i'm starting to wonder if the mutts of the weed world might not have certain advantages just like mutts in the dog world... i bet some of the marketed stuff out there today "just showed up" in someones field or greenhouse from stray pollen... i can just hear it now "what the hell is THAT?":woohoo:

pjlive

rolling the dice on mystery genetics. :bow: i understand the importance of known landrace genes and their place, but i'm starting to wonder if the mutts of the weed world might not have certain advantages just like mutts in the dog world... i bet some of the marketed stuff out there today "just showed up" in someones field or greenhouse from stray pollen... i can just hear it now "what the hell is THAT?":woohoo:
I'm a defender of the races myself. I love my Indica domestics something fierce. But I also agree there might be more to some of these mutts than what one might think on first glance. I'm a pretty big fan of the GG strains. That one was a freebie that just floored me. I never did get the beautiful earthy hashy and thick taste of the landraces out of it, and I'm not really a scent connoisseur like some are -- but the stone is sure there on that plant. That got me to thinking that maybe there are others. But, I'm still sticking pretty close to solid genetics. If I get a freebie like this one to try out I will. Two of the best dogs I ever had were mutts. One of those was by far the smartest.

pjlive

good luck pjlive, wish u a nice dank lady!
also, rooting for the quick grow (pun intended :bongsmi: :D )
Thank you, @GrowControl! I'm going to be flying blind solely on the instrument panel on this one. I don't know what to expect. But thanks for the fast wishes. I'm really hoping for that too! Never know what to expect with some of these autos...

pjlive

OK, ready for transplant into the final pot. Nothing's changed. Kept the pucks moist with distilled water pH corrected to 6.5. Later today the puck will go into its pot. From there, immediate fertigations begin on schedule using 20-10-20 set to around 90 ppm. PAR is set to around 250, RH is around 77% at the moment. Nice and easy. Sorry about the bad quality burple lighting, that's over now.

ua_2022-06-04.jpg

ua_2022-06-04b.jpg
ua_2022-06-04c.jpg
ua_2022-06-05c.jpg

Last edited:

pjlive

Solo Auto grow is off to the races...

Day Temp. Ranges: 78-81 F.
Night Temp. Ranges: 72-74 F.
RH Ranges: 76-81%.
PAR Ranges: 250-275.
PPM Ranges: 90-100 (on schedule with 20-10-20)

Attachments

• ua_2022-06-05b.jpg
    ua_2022-06-05b.jpg
    839.6 KB · Views: 99
  • ua_2022-06-05a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-05a.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 104
  • ua_2022-06-07.jpg
    ua_2022-06-07.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 97
  • ua_2022-06-08.jpg
    ua_2022-06-08.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 97

pjlive

Day Temp. Ranges: 72-77 F.
RH Ranges: 76-78%.
pH Ranges: 5.5-5.6

Attachments

• ua_2022-06-09a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-09a.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 94
  • ua_2022-06-10a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-10a.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 96
  • ua_2022-06-11a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-11a.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 102
  • ua_2022-06-12a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-12a.jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Reactions: Cvh

pjlive

Day Temp. Ranges: 73-79 F.
RH Ranges: 76-78%.
pH Ranges: 5.5-5.6

Attachments

• ua_2022-06-13a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-13a.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 94
  • ua_2022-06-14a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-14a.jpg
    804.8 KB · Views: 95
  • ua_2022-06-15a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-15a.jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 98

pjlive

Day Temp. Ranges: 73-79 F.
Night Temp. Ranges: 72-76 F.
RH Ranges: 74-78%.
PAR Ranges: 275-300.
pH Ranges: 5.6
PPM Ranges: 100-180 (on schedule with 20-10-20)

Attachments

• ua_2022-06-17a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-17a.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 96
  • ua_2022-06-16a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-16a.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 92
  • ua_2022-06-18a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-18a.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 96
  • ua_2022-06-19a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-19a.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 94

pjlive

Day Temp. Ranges: 73-78 F.
Night Temp. Ranges: 73-76 F.
RH Ranges: 74-78%.
PAR Ranges: 275-300.
pH Ranges: 5.6-5.7
PPM Ranges: 175-185 (on schedule with 20-10-20)

Note: Plant seems healthy, compact and close to media. Light green coloration in pics is due to direct exposure to the LED.

Attachments

• ua_2022-06-20a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-20a.jpg
    935.1 KB · Views: 99
  • ua_2022-06-21a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-21a.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 98
  • ua_2022-06-22a.jpg
    ua_2022-06-22a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92

Latest posts

Latest posts