What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mysterious condition dubbed 'scromiting' hits weed smokers across the US !

According to the NCBI: ‘Often mistakenly called Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome, Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome is a rare form of cannabinoid toxicity that develops in chronic smokers.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5150081/Heavy-marijuana-users-showing-ER-scromiting.html

*Is this just more negativity from 'The Daily Fail' towards cannabis, or is 'SCROMITING' a major concern?...I have seen cannabis users do a 'WHITEY' when consuming strong 'erb, but have never heard of this before.
stop posting this BS propaganda:moon:

Bobby Boucher

Don't be a jackass. Shit is real AF. I've been smoking a 1/4 ounce a day for 20 years. More recently, a gram of bho a day. Never had more than a few very mild anxiety attacks..

Fast forward to the influx of all this outdoor product..

I wound up with ~16 grams of some crumble that I believed to be mildly contaminated with pesticide, so I decided to turn it into some headstash chocolates to help me try and keep me asleep through the night..

I spent around a month fully believing that I was fucking dying. I only visited the idea of it being an allergic reaction to the chocolates as a joke.. but dude, I couldn't fuckin walk. I needed to be walked around like a dying man for weeks bro, and I'm only fuckin 30. All I could do was puke and compulsively shower. I wasn't screaming, but I certainly couldn't stop moaning and groaning as if I had been stabbed in the gut.

Deny your own pain. That was the single worst experience of my life.

dddaver

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "I believed to be mildly contaminated [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]with pesticide[/FONT]"

HUH? But then you think the weed did that to you? But for thousands of years it hasn't?

Ingesting pesticides seems like it might be the culprit to me personally. I don't see anything real as fuck about any of that.
[/FONT]

Bobby Boucher

Considering that pesticides are a necessary evil with any large scale commercial crop, I think my point still holds some water.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of smokers even have access to cannabis that hasn't been treated with pesticides anymore.

Also, the argument that somebody couldn't possibly be allergic to cannabis itself is fuckin.. not even worth a rebuttal. I get it. It's safe. It won't kill you. I don't have a dog in the race, but you don't have to believe in science for it to be true. Sorry, scratch that..

Nobody in the history of ever has ever had an adverse effect from consuming marijuana, because its gods plant, or something to that effect.

Ja bless, or whatever. Hakuna matata.

"Scromiting"? Really? lol. Leave it to American journalists to sensationalize anything. Some people naturally vomit loudly--my mother being one of them. You can hear her all the way at the other end of the house. But she doesn't smoke cannabis. Glad I now have a name for her brand of emesis. :D

CHS is a horrific & real syndrome, but it's still not known exactly why it happens. And it's still quite rare. To call this an "epidemic" and give it a sensationalized name like that takes away from the seriousness & makes it seem LESS real. There are already a ton of people out there who don't believe cannabis can cause vomiting due to its anti-emetic effects, so these dumb stories aren't helping matters.

What I'd like to see: some controlled studies showing which parts of cannabis cause the vomiting--is it the THC alone? CBD? Something used in the growing process, such as fertilizers or pesticides? Do people with CHS respond the same to commercial pot and pot grown outdoors with only sun, soil & water?

Until we know more about this mysterious condition, it's gonna be hard for people to wrap their brains around it. (Not directed at you, OP. Just griping about the tone of the article in general).

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Considering that pesticides are a necessary evil with any large scale commercial crop, I think my point still holds some water.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of smokers even have access to cannabis that hasn't been treated with pesticides anymore.

Also, the argument that somebody couldn't possibly be allergic to cannabis itself is fuckin.. not even worth a rebuttal. I get it. It's safe. It won't kill you. I don't have a dog in the race, but you don't have to believe in science for it to be true. Sorry, scratch that..

Nobody in the history of ever has ever had an adverse effect from consuming marijuana, because its gods plant, or something to that effect.

Ja bless, or whatever. Hakuna matata.

A LOT of smokers have access to weed that's not tainted by pesticides, are you kidding?

I know you mean this to be sarcasm-
- but I never heard of anybody in the history of ever getting sick, and I imagine if there were any written accounts, they would be shoved in our faces all the time, don't you think? Can you find ONE written account in history of writing that describes an adverse effect? Post a link.

Ja bless, or whatever.
You really sound like a disrespectful dick.:biggrin:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
To be honest, legalization did not all of a sudden recruit an entire population to start smoking weed. The people who smoke today, are the same people who smoked yesterday, and who will smoke tomorrow. No more, no less.

However, there is more smoking overall, and in greater amounts. I may be wrong, but I think the majority of new legal smokers are now purchasing their medicine (cough cough) from dispensaries who source their inventory from commercial, and in many cases, dubious (at best) suppliers. These growers tend to rely on any chemicals they can get their hands on to increase yields. Corporate products (and profits) are here along with the associated behaviours. But you ain't seen nothing yet. Sure the products are tested, but athletes are also tested for performance enhancing substances. Get it?

It's common for grower to spray, at the very least, "harmless" Neem Oil. I don't believe it. I grow my own and only use NPK and peat to amend soil. That's about it. No "Bud Candy" or any of that other bullshit the suckers are buying, and I get great yields. But I must admit, my yields are nothing like those Mendo Dope dudes. Tell me with a straight face, they're not juicing their plants with all sorts of crap.

People should just go back to reliable unadulterated weed and hash. But nooooo.... they want to fucking dab 90 proof four times a day. You know what they say about "too much of a good thing" huh?

But if you insist, I'll take your $700 for my BHO so you can puke, cough and scream simultaneously. And I'll throw in a free barf bag with every order.

---
"What are you talking about.... a little meth won't rot my teeth."

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
But they're not buying it. Certainly not outdoor. Why do you think the price of a pound of weed dropped by 2k in the last couple years? They're buying BHO and other derivatives.
Not really, it's because there are an insane number of new growers pumping out product.

CHS follows legalization. Where cannabis growing has been legalized, growers pass bugs at a horrific rate through clones and clothing, etc. I'm sure there are a decent percentage of people in prohibition states who can still get clean cannabis. The quality may often be rather poor, but it doesn't guarantee pesticides are used.

Dabbing clean extracts has zero effect on those of us who have CHS from neem products. Concentrates are not our problem, dab away. It isn't the butane, it doesn't have anything to do with solvents or vaping extracts. Should it turn out there are people who really do have a problem with clean cannabis, I truly feel for them.

:tiphat:

Bobby Boucher

Everywhere I look I see people grabbing the cheapest crap they can find. Shit is getting wack here in Chicago. Everyone has the same flavor as far as the eye can see and it's all sprayed lightdep or outdoor.

It was my mistake to share. Shit gets boiled down to f'n semantics real quick.

Sorry if I was rude, I'm just still fucking baffled as to why it's so hard to accept that marijuana can cause allergic reactions to small percentage of people? Like, what's the point? Is marijuana so sacred to us that we can't even look at it the objectively anymore? Anyone who pukes after consuming a ton of edibles is an anti-marijuana attention whore now?

I don't get it. Some people are allergic to fresh air, sunshine, water.. If you truly believe that nobody in the history of time has gotten even mildly ill from marijuana, that's your prerogative. I still think that it's an extremely stubborn, shortsighted, and biased perspective, but we are all entitled to our own opinions.

My opinion clearly ain't worth shit here so I'll just butt tf out.

St. Phatty

All pukey and up chuck vomity.

oh Man my birds LOVE food that's already been chewed !

I'm just still fucking baffled as to why it's so hard to accept that marijuana can cause allergic reactions to small percentage of people? Like, what's the point? Is marijuana so sacred to us that we can't even look at it the objectively anymore? Anyone who pukes after consuming a ton of edibles is an anti-marijuana attention whore now?

Either that or they're feeding their pets.

just kidding. I have encountered the "you can smoke unlimited quantities of Cannabis and never get a sore throat" type of thinking at some dispensaries. Even been corrected for suggesting that maybe someone might be overdoing it.

But hey, titration works. There's a difference between one Zima (light alcoholic beverage) and a fifth of Jack Daniels. Same holds true with pot.

When I smoked 2 or 3 grams a day, I used to get rashes on my arms from being around plants. Now I smoke about 1/2 gram a day, and I don't get rashes.

The human body has some complex chemistry going on.

Douglas.Curtis

Sorry if I was rude, I'm just still fucking baffled as to why it's so hard to accept that marijuana can cause allergic reactions to small percentage of people?
Because everyone has an endocannabinoid system which regulates their life functions. My personal opinion? The allergies to *only cannabis* will most likely boil down to specific terpene combinations and/or pollen. I would be extremely surprised to find anyone allergic to CBD or THC isolates. It'd be sort of like being allergic to water.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Pollen allergies are quite common so that makes a lot of sense. My better half breaks out in hives if she touches pine tree needles.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah weed allergy exists for sure, used to know a guy, he'd get hay fever symptoms if he was around fresh flowers. once dry he could deal with it much better, but fresh weed really fucked him up to the point he'd have to get out of there and go lay down. guy was growing a 15 lamper back then lol.

People allergic to weed are usually just allergic to touching it. They can smoke it but can't roll it!

CHS is from contaminants applied by the grower. Every dispensary I've been to has "peanuts and milk" aroma pouring out the jars. Gotta go to the apartments to find any weed that even smells like weed rather than varying nut oil, foodscrap and dairy products. I think they are even mixing cheesey mac powder in water and dunking. Very fake cheesy smelling yellow colored buds all over the place, not related to Cheese genetics at all

Bobby Boucher

Because everyone has an endocannabinoid system which regulates their life functions... It'd be sort of like being allergic to water.

As much as I feel compelled to stay away from all of this.. One in 27 million people are allergic to water. I don't think that a couple of scrommiters is so far out of the question that people need to be ridiculed for putting the option on the table.

I've seen a limited kid fall over into a ditch puking and writhing around calling out for jesus after consuming cannabis. Personally, I've pretty much been there myself. But then again, you know, no ones is going to die if I don't share my experiences here.

And if there was ever a sign from the gods, there is literally an open petting mouth asking me to put my computer down and invade it, and I'd have to be a hamasexual to even proof read this, let alone continue bantering on.

:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

As much as I feel compelled to stay away from all of this.. One in 27 million people are allergic to water. I don't think that a couple of scrommiters is so far out of the question that people need to be ridiculed for putting the option on the table.
People are not allergic to water, they're allergic to the reaction between their skin oils and water. My first question to these people would be the same as I ask everyone with 'weird' health issues. What is your blood type and what foods are you eating? 100% of the time (over the last 10 years) their diet has been polluted and improper for their blood type. Changing their habits made huge improvements in days. Diet is a major factor in people's reaction to cannabis and pesticides.

I'd be very surprised if any water allergies would be observed after cleaning up the patient's diet for a month. I'm not ridiculing the idea, I'm simply stating a true cannabis allergy would be even more rare than a "water allergy," and that both are most likely due to other factors than water or cannabis. :tiphat: