What's new

My take on dr Bud's micro SOG

This is my take on micro SOG Dr Bud style.
First of all, I suck at cloning so it took me about 3 months to make a single healthy clone. Even now I'm not able to produce 3 clones weekly as it takes my plants 3-4 weeks to fully develop roots. So, anyway, I put in the first 3 clones in the flower room 3 weeks ago, and the next batch 1,5 weeks later. The pic:

This is under 150 W HPS that I have in my NGB style box.
These clones are in store bought mix of compost, peat, lime and quartz sand. The one in the orange pot is my test clone that is going to be put back in veg (good mom material)
This is where my question comes in: this here is the photo I made after I watered one plant using the method Dr Bud recommends:

and this is what the rest of the plants look like unwatered:

Did I overwater the first plant? I'm afraid to use this method on other clones cbecause I dont want to ruin my crops completely.
I need quick advice because my plants are thirsty and I have to water them soon one way or another.

C

Cozy Amnesia

It looks like it could be overwatering, but that might just be how your strain looks because your other clones look a little droopy too. I don't know anything about soil, but I say don't worry too much about it. If your still worried ask in the soil forum.

I watered the rest today, same method. Lower leaves look normal, while top (or upper, if you will) look rolled.
Hmm, too much nitrogen? I'll look into it, the leaves didn't look dark green, but than again, what do I know, I'm a newb.

M

moses224

Keep in mind your still going to get stretch when you flower if you havent already turn them back to 12/12 and hit the with a bloom forumla high in phosphate cut out all nitrogen ferts....best of luck

M

moses224

also im not a pro on bending but may be to late...may consider a screen in lieu of lst this late in the grow..just my 2 cents

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
you can still bend em if you want. i dont see any flowers , have you sexed yet? just pinch the stem in the middle till its soft enough to bend. you should hear and feel a little snap when you do it right. just go all the way around and crush it with your thumb and index finger in one spot all around the stem then it should either fall over from its own weight or you can push it over. just make sure it doesnt snap all the way in 2. you want the outer skin of the stem to stay intact and you are only breaking the ... i dont remember what the inside part is called i wanna say cartillage (cellulose) but thats not right. but the inside part of the stem is what you want to break not the outside skin that hold the plant together. its like breaking a bone without tearing the flesh.

if you dont like that method you can always top it. that will stop the stretch and it will grow branches instead of growing more stem.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Hi yall!

Hi yall!

Those rolled over leaves ( in this case ) are from over watering, or the soil staying too wet too long. Cut yer soil with 30% perlite, it should take care of that..... Do a search on cloning, there's tons of great info on it. The best advice I can give ya is ta keep yer temps -constant- between 75-80 degrees untill they make roots..... You should be able to bend them if ya need to. If they won't right now, wait till they stretch some, then I know yul be able too. Also crushing the stem aka crushing the "hurd" works very well. If you twist or roll the stem back and forth between yer fingers slowly it will safely crush the hurd without it breakin the skin. Good luck, and take care.... BC

Last edited:
moses224 said:
Keep in mind your still going to get stretch when you flower if you havent already turn them back to 12/12 and hit the with a bloom forumla high in phosphate cut out all nitrogen ferts....best of luck

These are in 12/12 already. The largest of plants (those 3 on the left) have been on 12/12 for almost 4 weeks now, the problem is that the strain is a big unknown for me, looks sativa dominant.
As for the sexing, except for the one in the orange pot, I've got all girls.
BTW I've measured the soil humidity before I watered the second row of plants with a probe, it was dry, and I mean freakin' Sahara dry. So I dunked these pots (well, plastic cups) in my nute solution waited for the bubbles to stop, drained them and 24 h later theyre doing just fine, no wilting or anything. The top fan leves are curled but lower arent, and the top of the plant looks eager to grow.

The perlite is a good idea, but I can't get my hands on any (or vermiculite for that matter) here. Might have to use Styrofoam instead.

BTW, do all cats like to attack MJ plants or is it just mine?

Last edited:
Well, it's getting crowded in here:

I've bent one plant to see how these girls respond to it.
You can also see that I actually use a NGB style box, but the veg room is turned off as I use another box for vegging/clones. I'll probably tear that wall down and maybe put in one cfl in it. I could fit another 6 clones in there. I figure that as it is now, I have space for 22 clones.

bud_me

VladTheInhaler said:
BTW, do all cats like to attack MJ plants or is it just mine?

Can't let mine anywhere near the box when it's open, the second I turn around the cat starts nom nom noming on the plants. Say goodbye to a few healthy clones.

Lookin good though man :joint: is that a sativa dominant strain? How much vertical room have you allowed between tops of your containers and the light for growth? Have you considered getting them closer to the light earlier on so they've got less of a stretch?

I'd say there's about 20'' betwen tops of those cups and the light. I thought of manipulating the light height, but it makes no sense considering that I gave clones in different stages of flowering (3 clones in every 2 weeks or so).
The strain is called Thai stick, supposed to grow about 5' indoor, looks sativa dominant from the shape of leaves.
I also have one thai haze x skunk#1 clone in there, and that is supposed to be one leggy plant. I'm growing that one just because it was a freebie, and I wanted to see if it was a girl. It sure is a girl, but dammit, that strain has 12 weeks flower time, while the other strain flowers 8-9 weeks (supposedly).

bud_me

I know it's probably more of a hassle but I've got a similar setup and I'm doing an extreme version of a stadium so that I can keep the plants shorter, allows me to put in the fresh girls close up and work the more mature ladies down the ladder. Allows me to do a SOG and not have to LST at all.

bud_me said:
I know it's probably more of a hassle but I've got a similar setup and I'm doing an extreme version of a stadium so that I can keep the plants shorter, allows me to put in the fresh girls close up and work the more mature ladies down the ladder. Allows me to do a SOG and not have to LST at all.

Do you have any pics of that? What kind of lights are you using? I figure I'm getting away with this because of the penetrating qualities of my 150 W HPS. I believe that Dr Bud also uses something similar to your technique.

bud_me

Unfortunately no pictures at this time, no camera. I use a 150W HPS, cooled through a DIY cooltube. This penetration chart should help you out some, has worked for me.

I can't get within 4inches of the bulb without getting light bleaching.

pezoholic

"I can't get within 4inches of the bulb without getting light bleaching."

DUDE me too!! This is bullshit lol....I want ~125,00ish Lumens outta my 430w! Damn lol trying to blow air across the tops now with a little gap, gonna see if that helps

Thanks for the chart. I too have a DIY cooltube in there, the ting werks perfectly, I can touch it with my fingers and it's only mildly warm. I'm not worried about the plants getting burned.
Here are some pics of one of my first 3 clones:

As you can see, the upper fan leaves still look weird, but it doesn't seem to affect the growth as far as I can see.
I think I'll have to bend them all, as they're getting even closer to the light.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts