What's new

My soil mix

Cinnamon? Pshaw!

I'm opting for mace and nutmeg spices 8 months early before the Christmas season!

LMAO

Cinnamon? Y*A*W*N - silly beyond belief. Why not elk urine? Hot dog piss? Weasel dis and weasel dat?

Wee!

CC

Congrats. Out of the some 2 dozens thing on that list, not did you manage to find one you didn't like, but you found the one I'm using the very least of.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Are you daft?
Probably.

Thanks or the confirmation!

I'll have to try the 'cinnamon' deal but I have a legitimate question.

As an artisan baker I'm pretty familiar with the variables as it relates to 'cinnamon' and as you probably know 'real cinnamon' was banned from the USA from the Vietnam War forward, eh? You DO know that , right?

So are you talking about 'real cinnamon' (i.e. Saigon cinnamon or Vietnamese Cinnamon) or the cinnamon as it was called from circa 1970 - 2001, i.e. Cassia?

Still want to play, Cupcake?

Thanks for sharing regardless.

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Cinnamon hasn't been real since the 70's? What is it that I'm putting on my toast then??:fright:
Casia

Seriously.

What's really an interesting deal is this - casia has about 1/4 the 'cinnamon flavor' of 'real cinnamon' (i.e. Saigon cinnamon and a few other similar names).

When the 'ban' was lifted there was a rush to alter formulas (bakers NEVER use the term 'recipe' but rather 'formulas' - long story) to take into account the increased flavor profile of 'real cinnamon' vs. casia

If you're baking something that calls for cinnamon and you're actually using 'cinnamon' then reduce the amount to 1/4 the amount called for in the 'formula'

True cinnamon reduces the effectiveness of yeast - casia does not. If you're baking an item that calls for 'cinnamon' and you're using real cinnamon - then double the amount of yeast called for in the bread formula.

HTH

CC

As an artisan baker I'm pretty familiar with the variables as it relates to 'cinnamon' and as you probably know 'real cinnamon' was banned from the USA from the Vietnam War forward, eh? You DO know that , right?

Actually, no.

Still want to play, Cupcake?

It's a cheap ingredient I was going to throw in for a few bucks and see what it does. Hardly the foundation of my mix.

the man takes pride in his mix...

Damn right!

Stoned Crow

Actually, no.

It's a cheap ingredient I was going to throw in for a few bucks and see what it does. Hardly the foundation of my mix.

Damn right!

P~

You definatly have us all intrigued by your planned mix, and alot of people have had their say. Don't forget that we're all here pulling for you.

I think most of the criticism comes from the fact that you could use 1/10 of the ingredients and get the same or similar results.

The main problem I find from using too many ingredients is that if something goes wrong, it's almost impossible to trace back.

It's obvious you do take pride in your soil, we all do here, this is the "organic soil" forum....SC :pimp3::pimp3:

NUG-JUG

If you're baking something that calls for cinnamon and you're actually using 'cinnamon' then reduce the amount to 1/4 the amount called for in the 'formula'

True cinnamon reduces the effectiveness of yeast - casia does not. If you're baking an item that calls for 'cinnamon' and you're using real cinnamon - then double the amount of yeast called for in the bread formula.

HTH

CC

Wow super useful baking info thanks! Time to make some casia toast..

mad librettist

Veteran
Casia

Seriously.

What's really an interesting deal is this - casia has about 1/4 the 'cinnamon flavor' of 'real cinnamon' (i.e. Saigon cinnamon and a few other similar names).

When the 'ban' was lifted there was a rush to alter formulas (bakers NEVER use the term 'recipe' but rather 'formulas' - long story) to take into account the increased flavor profile of 'real cinnamon' vs. casia

HTH

CC

Lol Michelin rated chefs don't use cassia when they say cinammon.

If it is not too hard to crumble it is the real deal. Or I found this test on wiki. Not sure it works:

When powdered bark is treated with tincture of iodine (a test for starch), little effect is visible in the case of pure cinnamon of good quality, but when cassia is present, a deep-blue tint is produced, the intensity of the coloration depending on the proportion of cassia.[citation needed]

if you want the real deal, maybe try a Chinese herbal pharmacy.

Update:

So I've picked up:

Corn Gluten Meal - 50 lbs
Guana - 40 lbs
Molasses - 300 lbs
Expanded shale - 50 lbs
Humate - 150 lbs
Compost - a shitload
Dolomite - 50 lbs
Zeolite - 5 lbs
Lava Sand - 60 lbs
Cottonseed Meal 5 lbs
Greensand 50 lbs

As well as Garlic Powder, Humic Acid, Beneficial Fungi, Superthrive, Apple Cider Vinegar, Liquid Seaweed, Liquid Fish.

Still have to get rock phosphate, kelp meal, liquid fish, alalfa meal, B-9, vit C, perlite

Dropping the coco and fulvic acid Can't find coco. Any suggestions on replacements?

Almost there.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the mix is like 20% ferts - too much and i think you would have problems with structure.

if you mixed it half and half with some good topsoil, or perlite/lava. needs to be diluted somehow.

good luck with it though.

VG.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in which case you should be fine. :)

although i think to cover all bases you should include 1% kitchen sink :D

VG.

Trichgnomes

Guana - 40 lbs

I must say, you are off to a great start so far, especially with the recent addition of Guana. For those of you unfamiliar with this term, I believe it is in reference to droppings collected solely from female bats/seabirds. Not only does it make your crops headier than ever, it is much more organic. :chin:

Edit: I believe Seabird guana is slightly headier than bat guana, but not quite as organic. Do not quote me on this, as I need to track down my references.