What's new

My room defies the laws of ventilation please help

that is definitely not root rot, clearly this guy never used brown nutes before lol. you will know when your roots are rotten, they will be slimy and come apart easily when you pull on them, i get it a lot in my bubble cloner for some reason lol, but never in my DWC, i think because i circulate the water with a pump, the aeration comes from waterfall into the buckets rather than airstones, also running a biofilter will essentially eliminate most problems with harmful pathogens.

seems like confusion on temperature. you wanna be shooting for 80-85 ambient flower room temperatures, or 85-90 with cO2. water temps between 68-78.

BattleAxe

Ok BattleAxe, now that my connection is a bit better, let me say that first, you don't have a temp issue. You're actually low for getting the most out of your CO2.

High temps (90+) cause the plant to open up a bit and respirate faster, there by making more use of the higher CO2 concentration. To be honest, CO2 isn't going to make any noticeable difference in this grow. Without having your system dialed in, your nutes just right, tweaked specifically to your stabilized genes that you know inside and out, you won't even be able to tell if it had any effect at all. Save your gas for now.

Where is your exhaust in this vent system, and what size fan and scrubber do you have on it? Couldn't figure that out from your diagrams. Between the diagrams and you explanations, it almost sounds like you have an active intake and no exhaust, but that can't be right, so I must have missed it somewhere.

Did you read the post I told you about? It explains how "maximum airflow" advice can work against you in a cooling scenario. The effect is clear, when you opened up intake, temps went up. I'm not going to retype the article here.

TL;DR - Probably won't like my advice, but... You don't have a temp problem. Kill the CO2, cover the buckets to sheild from direct light, and take steps to prevent pathogens. You're fine, enjoy your plants!

Thanks for your informative posts and links NT. I did read the article on max airflow but still confused. I hate ventilation with a passion and wish I could elbow it in the face right now. What confuses me about the max flow theory is that, in theory, if my room is too hot and I have a cooler room next to it, increasing the air exchange between the two tells me that it should in fact cool the room more and not less. I dont understand for the life of me how, bringing in more cool air would not cool the room more. Maybe I am missing something. The additional intake didn't raise the temps, I think it lowered it by bringing more cool air into the space. For right now, my temps are pretty even in both rooms and res temps are at acceptable levels for the time being.

I think you are correct on the gas. I am still learning this plant and the c02 will most likely get cancelled out by some rookie mistakes or something else. The buckets and tubs are covered, painted and or doubled up to prevent light penetration and avoid algae.

I don't have any exhaust. The only thing that is exhausting is the closed loop that vents the lights. The room is essentially sealed with the exception of the closed loop for the lights but this obviously, doesn't exchange air with the space. I do have 2 x 8" passive intakes on the shared wall between the veg and bloom. On that same wall is an 8" exhaust fan 747 CFM with a 6' piece of ducting attached and dropped down the opposite wall (per Gronn) to increase airflow through the space. He pointed out that my ventilation was quite possibly short circuiting because both intake/exhaust were on the same wall. After adding the ducting to exhaust, I believe this was the case.

At this point, I am running with what I have and will probably not refill my co2 until I can dial everything in.

I called Adorama today and my dark room louvers have been shipped. More airflow and cooler temps are in my future:jump:

Thanks for everyones advice here.

BattleAxe

that is definitely not root rot, clearly this guy never used brown nutes before lol. you will know when your roots are rotten, they will be slimy and come apart easily when you pull on them, i get it a lot in my bubble cloner for some reason lol, but never in my DWC, i think because i circulate the water with a pump, the aeration comes from waterfall into the buckets rather than airstones, also running a biofilter will essentially eliminate most problems with harmful pathogens.

seems like confusion on temperature. you wanna be shooting for 80-85 ambient flower room temperatures, or 85-90 with cO2. water temps between 68-78.

yeah, I'm not convinced that my roots are rotting either. I'd like to see some pics of how you waterfall into a standalone bucket when you have a chance.

Temps now are mid 70s with all ress following in line. Hopefully these bitches will stay healthy like this.

Granger2

Veteran
Just found this thread...

BattleAxe,

Since you're air temps are OK for the plants, just add 3% H2O2, 1Tbl/gal, to your res at each change. That should prevent the problems you're worried about. It's cheap, and if you want, you could add it daily.
Good luck.
-granger

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
First things first, you don't have a temp issue, just so we're clear, again.

Second, cut off your CO2. Don't waste it just because it is there. If you have to use it, take up MIG welding or something :D Hell, if you own the tank, sell it, you're not gonna need it for a bit, and those things are 'spensive :)

The most important thing I see, though, is your misunderstanding of sealed room tech. If you have an intake, you do NOT have a sealed room. A sealed room has 0 air exchange. In fact, if you look at it gramatically, a an intaked sealed room is an oxymoron, like plastic glasses.

If you have an intake, then you have an exhaust, somewhere, intentionally or not. You can't continually add something without taking something away. Well, not without some specialized equipment and a burning desire to level your house :D

So, your glaring concern is where this probable cause airstream is going. Fuck temps, smell gets you locked in a cage with other more dangerous animals.

Immediate action: Move the veg/flower fan to exhaust pulling through a scrubber. If you control your air, you don't have to wonder if your air is going.

As far as over-ventilation in your application, you see the eftects in the smaller veg, because air exchange rates are higher in the veg room than the larger bloom room. Basically, if you looked at it under IR, it'd look like ducting was run from your veg intake to your veg exhaust. The cooler air isn't dispersing or staying in the room long enough to effectively cool the space.

Cut CO2 completely, scrub an exhaust out of your veg room, still using the intakes in your bloom room. This will give you higher temps in veg than flower (good), and provide safer, more effecient ventilation. Get a speed contoller too, we'll want that for tweaking later ;)