What's new

my poor ballast

wickyd

well guys, I think my ballast went out. The other day my 400wMH just turned off, so I unplugged everything from the wall, and plugged it back in, and it glows but gets goin like it usually does, so I swapped with the 400wHPS bulb, and it glows as well, but doesnt get bright. Think the ballast shot out on me? Any suggestions? it was a 400w MH/HPS conversion by cooltouch lighting.

wickyd

cdr

I thought you might want to know that you can not use a hps bulb in a mh system. You could ruin the bulb. Second, the ballast and bulb has to cool down before it will full egnite the bulb. THat's why it would fully light. -cdr

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
cdr said:
I thought you might want to know that you can not use a hps bulb in a mh system. You could ruin the bulb. Second, the ballast and bulb has to cool down before it will full egnite the bulb. THat's why it would fully light. -cdr

it says on his post that its a MH/HPS conversion lamp, so it must be a switchable ballast or sumthing

Rabbitt-420

Cdr is correct in mentioning that a ballast must fully cool down before relighting a bulb.

It will relight but you just need to give it time to cool down and relight before trashing it.

full time daddy
Veteran
did it turn back on for ya?

did it turn back on for ya?

if not id say a cap need to be replaced

wickyd

thanks for checkin in on me 00420

thanks for checkin in on me 00420

I'm with you on the cap, thats what we're gonna try, the cap inside said 100dec. C max, I dont see how it got that hot, but I bet it did overheat. It didnt come back on, the POS, so we're gonna wire in a new cap and pray.

thanks
wickyd

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Got a camera...

Got a camera...

Wickyd, you should post a thread on how you do that. I'm sure a lot of people could bennefit from seeing how to do that documented here. It's never happened to me so I wouldn't know how to do it. Just an idea.

GreatLakes THC

full time daddy
Veteran
good idea thc

good idea thc

if he dont i will..... i have one that needs changed.... its very easy 2 wires and most the time its unplug and plug them in it dont matter what side they go on either

Latest posts

Latest posts