What's new

My plants are sick :(

chip87

This is my first grow so I am very grateful for any advice you can give me. I just got these clones (approx. two weeks old) and transplanted them from soil to hydroton last night. They didn't look that great when I got them but now they are way worse.

How long has this problem been going on?
I just got them yesterday.
Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents)
Custom cabinet. Covered in reflectix and sterilized with 95% alcohol before any plants went in.
What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...)
Custom flooded tube design (almost exactly like Heath Robinson's flooded tubes)
What STRAIN are you growing?
Sweet Tooth and Blue Dream
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)
They are clones
What is the age of your plants?
About two weeks old
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..)
I transplanted them very gently from soil to hydroton using distilled water
How tall are the plants?
They range from 1 feet to 1 and 1/2 feet
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
He said they just started the flower stage
What Technique are you using?
Flooded tube hydroponics
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.)
Hydrotron
What is the Water temperature?
Room temp
What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy?
They are kind of white but mostly brown (I think from the soil)
What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless)
None at the moment (only distilled water). But I have general hydroponics bloom and micro and was planning on doing the lucas formula
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
N/A yet
How often are you feeding? (If using soiless)
N/A yet
How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless)
N/A yet
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
N/A yet
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
N/A yet
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using
N/A yet
What is the pH of the "Tank"?
pH meter is in the mail and should be here by Friday or so. But it is currently just distilled water.
How often are you testing your pH/PPM/EC/TDS?
N/A yet
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equipment?
N/A yet
When was your last watering?
Flooded tube waters all the time.
What is your water temps?
Room temp
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional)
N/A yet
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients?
N/A yet. But, I was planning on doing it every week.
What size bulb are you using?
One 400w CMH
How old is the bulbs you are using?
One month. Just started using it though.
What is the distance to the canopy?
The plants are in a vertical grow setup. The closest leaves are about 4-6 inches away from the bulb.
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)?
Don't know yet.
What is the canopy temperature?
Slightly hotter than room temp when the light is on (thermometer is in the mail)
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
About 65 in the room during the day and slightly colder at night (depending on how open the window is)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
There is one 400 CFM blower for the cabinet (probably 300cfm with the ducting and silencer) and one fan in the grow room.
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
Ventilation and fans are running all the time.
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Yes, it is a very gentle breeze though.
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
Distilled water
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
Distilled water
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?
N/A
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?
Don't have the meter yet.
Are you using water from a water softener?
No
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched
Not that I know of
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?
Not that I know of
Are plant's infected with pest's
Not that I know of

Here are the seven plants:

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chip....I think you solved your own problem....1 - going from Soil (rich nutrient zone) to a hydro base (inert/no nutrient with Distilled?)....their eating them selves trying to find food...Distilled is super pure..cleaner than RO...but slight mineral content in water is a good thing...don't use Distilled as its To Clean and at times can Pull nutrients from your plants....use spring water or RO and Feed them something...make the Lucas a lil heavier on the micro to start tho...may want to cut half the plant away so you only repair a small plant..a taller adolescent plant will try to fix its top growth first so its better to start with a smaller plant with multiple tops to get them back in gear "evenly"..
Swt eats mild to mod amounts of nutes...BDream eats even less and can be touchy with both N and P...so be aware of that to...
Hope that helps and keep rollin
FOE20

S

s00thsayer

feed them nutrients, they are hungry. also i would back the lights off. 4 to 6 inches from a 400 watt mh is too close for these little guys. Try at least 12 inches away for now.

S

SeaMaiden

Stop using distilled water, do what these other two gentlemen have advised.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Also the shock of going from soil to hydroton can only make matters worse.

TGT

chip87

Update: Here are the plants and pictures of some of the roots (they all look the same pretty much). I have also included a picture of the setup put together.

medicalmj

Veteran
Quickly read your responses...The system looks cool so as soon as you get your meter please update. Then you we can figure it out. No PH or EC and you are just guessing with hydro.

chip87

I got my TDS meter today (Ph test kit gets here Monday) and replaced the water/nutrient solution and am sitting at a TDS of 901. Will update when I have the Ph meter

chip87

UPDATE:
TDS is at 968ppm.
Got my pH test kit today. pH looks like it is around 5 (maybe even a little lower)

The roots on most of the plants are too large to take out of the tubes now, but here's what the plants look like:

chip87

And the roots:

I also tested my tap water. It is at 42ppm and the pH looks like this:

Any advice on where to go from here?

medicalmj

Veteran
You need to raise your PH to around 5.8. Check the sticky on plant problems at top of this forum for the elements that are locked out at low PH. P, for one, is not available among others.
I have had PH crashes and find replacing the solution is a good first step. Then see if it will stabilize. Maybe start a little higher than 5.8 to balance the residual in roots/media. Then see where it stabilizes in a day or two.

S

SeaMaiden

Chip, what's the EC reading? TDS and ppm are calculated from EC and they use different conversions. In the meantime, medical is right, you absolutely need to get the pH raised up. I'm reading your first test as being smack in the 4 range, which is VERY acid. I'll suggest going a bit higher with the pH, get it up to 6, and that should help.

Also, you MUST stop using that distilled water! This is important for a few reasons, not the least of which is that pure water acts as a solvent. It is stripped completely of minerals, and living organisms actually need those minerals. Also, distilled water has zero alkalinity (resistance to pH shift), which means pH can bounce all over the place. Bouncing pH can kill fish very quickly, and I've seen off pH cause all kinds of weird crap with plants. I would mix RO or distilled water with your tap.

chip87

Thank you all for the advice so far. I changed the res and the pH now looks very good. I'm not sure how to check for EC? I have the HM Digital TDS-EZ TDS meter which is in PPM.

Also, I think I may have a male/hermaphrodite. Should I kill it?

S

SeaMaiden

That's a girl, chip.

I'm not familiar with that meter, can you look in the instructions and see what conversions it uses? That's what is helpful, since TDS & ppm are converted from EC. If it has an option to use only EC, I'll suggest using that so you get a more accurate reading.

S

SeaMaiden

Ayyeeee..!! Gotta dig into memory banks here, but I believe they're saying it's a sodium chloride calibration using the .5 conversion, and it's that conversion number we're interested in when discussing ppm. I can't take you much further than this because, yes, I am that bad at math.

chip87

UPDATE: I am confused about the plants. I changed the water to tap water (let it sit over night) and there's lots more leaves dying off. But other parts of the plant look healthy. PPM is at ~950 and pH looks like it has dropped to about 5 since I last checked it (it was about ~6 last I checked). So I need ot pH up but I feel like there is something else wrong?