What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My ph appears too low at the moment, ....

CrushnYuba

Sulfur, within reason (and there can be great latitude) can be of all sorts of benefit, in my understanding.

At the moment, the higher S levels in my mixes are the result of residual or 'hitch-hikers' on other nute sources, as opposed to something added in isolated specificity.

LED05 stated (not too long ago, in one of the advanced botany threads) it, to some degree, drives potency/resin production.

I've used it in stout applications in the veggies' outdoor raised beds and spud field to lower ph every several years, in balancing the effects of our calcium carbonate in the well water. Some plants (broccoli, as an example) seem to not mind even harsh amounts of the stuff, while other plants will flip you the bird and go on strike if too much is applied:

I worry about how much sulfur is too much. It is a real hitchhiker. My potassium and magnesium almost exclusively come from sulfate salts. Potassium sulfate and magnesium sulfate. I also have been using a bit If gypsum recently and it's got me worried.

redlaser

Veteran
I’m not sure how much is too much when it comes to sulfur, but I have tests as high as 1,100ppm sulfur m3 testing and it isn’t having bad effects. Optimal is supposed to be 20-40 ppm, too much is supposed to affect molybdenum uptake is all I have seen so far.

Most of mine is from gypsum I assume, using a three year old peat/pumice/castings/crab meal/neem/rockdust/alfalfa/wollastinite/kelp/SRP/azomite/gypsum/forest humus based soil mix

M

moose eater

Soil sci. person at the sample gathering point stated the sulfur would convert and diminish in short order, and not to worry. Not sure my experience agrees with -all- of that, but as stated, the tolerance to high sulfur is apparently a species-specific issue, and some 'like it hot.' And the conversion to some form of sulfuric acid from the sulfur, as the ph adjuster, also brings questions about the sulfur processing over time, and ph effect.

For me the trade-off is when trying to achieve a higher percentage of ca. saturation, and not wanting to screw with the ph too much, then gypsum has been a 'go-to' at times.

Sul-Po-Mag/Langbeinite has some interesting properties, per earlier reading from Slow, et al , as it (if my fogginess recalls correctly) doesn't bind the mag with excess k (or vice versa?) the way other sources can/do..... If I'm remembering correctly; more questionable as time passes.

The June sample had me wincing when reading the sulfur ppm, but the person I referenced at the lab's gathering point didn't seem as concerned about that as I was, and focused on other issues.

*Despite legality, I only allude to the predominant crop in question, in relation to the testing of the mixes. Decades of conditioning allow a greater reservation than to say, "Yeah, this is in pursuit of the ultimate ganja-oriented soilless mix!" Not sure they'd give a shit if I did, but I've seen no valid point in doing so.

Additionally, for me, questions remain about sulfur content in guanos, too. Seems natural it would be in there. But testing EACH & EVERY variable, at some point, becomes a serious source of unrealistic subsidizing of labs.

If I could only figure out a way for the labs to subsidize me, instead...

M

moose eater

I don't think so, but I don't know.

I'll do a quick search.

Nothing that was obviously pertinent (on its surface) came up when I searched, "Do all sulfates break down to sulfuric acid in soils?"

I'd be lying if I claimed to know.

M

moose eater

I've read in the past there've been folks who've used sulfuric acid in substantially diluted ratio to adjust ph. Faster than letting the sulfur go through the transition, I'd guess, but back when struggling for an organic acidic addition to achieve lower ph, especially with a liquid additive, I've very infrequently used cider vinegar.

Though of less plant nutrient value, I'm more prone lately to using food-grade citric acid crystals to acidify H2O/liquid fertilizer mixes, and it's plenty able to adjust ph downward with minimal amounts.

M

moose eater

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=81048

Direct link to my current images for tonight's pics. At the album page, click (double click??) on images there, then use the back button to go back to the album for the rest of the pics.

First up is California Indica (@ ~5.5 weeks).

Next is Super Lemon Haze (also @ ~ 5.5 weeks):

M

moose eater

Last, and about a week behind the others, as well as most disgruntled over the poorly-balanced June mix, is Ghost Train Haze #1 at about 4.5 weeks or so:

I'm assuming the adjusted August mix will be received by all of them better than the June mix was.

I'll try that out on a couple Goji OG phenos and maybe delve into playing with some White Lotus and some Satori.

At this point, it's pretty much all for me and mine. So no real stress re. doing for others. Just the effort to make it as good as I can, with what I have.

troutman

Seed Whore
Seeing you want to avoid magnesium. If you can source calcium hydroxide (aka hydrated lime)
and use a very tiny amount it will drive your pH right up there. It's sold online or in grow shops.

:tiphat:

M

moose eater

Thanks troutman.

Hydrated lime is often used here for accelerating the breakdown of matter in outhouses, and, oddly enough, in light of you mentioning it, I just spoke with a friend in the bush a couple days ago, who complained that every place in town that ought to have it, was out, and said they couldn't get it without serious hassle/cost, due to some sort of (new?) hazmat shipping status or something.

Was news to me. Every outhouse from here to who-knows-where had always had a bag of the stuff sitting on the floor or bench.

Thanks though.

For now, the garden lime seems to foot the bill, and, assuming their labeling is accurate, has only slight amounts of magnesium in it.

M

moose eater

Cut a medium size top of a cola today from the SLH. She's very nice in appearance, stickiness, color, olfactory pleasantness, etc. Should have a quick dry and such done with her in a week or so.

Trying to slow the drying time when they're all alone like that requires a slower drying initially, with very little air through the tray, then rolled up tight in a fairly thick paper sack, loosely set inside another container with limited air, then checking regularly to make sure there's enough air to not cause her to get ugly.

Looking forward to something potent and tasty, and more fresh than what I've been rolling out of the freezer lately.

Ready to mix up the newly adjusted August mix and get it tested, as well as starting some of the newer (yet untried) seeds, using a very tame/mild medium... Satori and White Lotus, here we come. Maybe some Field Trip (?), & More Cowbell, too. And maybe a re-supply of the Goji 8 and Goji 2.... just 'cause.

'Kids and candy stores' kinda' thing..

M

moose eater

The test bud of SLH is drying slowly enough all alone in its drying tray/box, telling me the oil/resin content is fairly stout, as the relative humidity in the shop is hovering around 50% with some limited fluctuations.

I missed a week in the last posting of pics, I think, so a week should be added to the times that I thought I was working with/at. Age, weed, stress, medical shit, who knows?

Clipping for the SLH is likely within 4 days or so in time. Her bracts are puffed nicely, pistils mostly retracted, and the primary hold-up is waiting for a tiny bit of color (translucent gray/off-clear, to be exact), to reach the tops of the mushroom-shaped trichomes, which she's well coated in.

GTH#1 is likely at least a couple weeks out, and probably 1-1/2 weeks until the scissors snip on the California Indica.

Plenty to keep me busy here in the interim.

As time progresses, I'll likely take down the older pics from a week ago or so, and put up some shots of the buds, pre-clipped and post-clipped.

With time for a grower moving in what often amounts to 4-5 months periods, the older I get, the more I consider that this is a venture made for younger folks, who sometimes have a better idea that they will see their efforts through to the end. These days, 6 months can be a long time, and if something happens, then others are in the bind of having to clean up my hobbies.

Something to think about.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I didn't read the entire thread Moose, but from your first post it seems you want to raise pH without increasing cal, mag or K..

Potassium Bicarbonate may be what you are looking for...
I collect rainwater and the pH of it is about 5.5..
If I add less than a tablespoon to a gallon of this rainwater the pH is raised to over pH 8...

This is where I buy it... https://labelpeelers.com/potassium-...MIsI-rgqLT4gIVirbACh0DrQtXEAQYASABEgIxHfD_BwE

Hope this helps you out...

By the way, potassium bicarbonate with water can be used to treat powdery mildew, some molds, and black leaf spot (septoria)
Sprayed on plants, it works by raising the pH of the leaf surface to a point that these diseases cannot flourish..
It is also deemed OK for organic gardening..

M

moose eater

Thanks Bud. You almost had my rambling points correctly. I didn't mind bumping up the Ca a bit, but was wary of any additional magnesium or K.

Since that time, fairly early in the thread, I realized that I was sitting on <40 lbs., of low-magnesium garden lime at about 96% Ca. and maybe <3% magnesium, that was the answer to my dilemma; like searching the house for the 'lost' car keys, and they're in the middle of the kitchen table.

That was the point at which I gave myself an 'idiot award.' not quite as terminal as a 'Darwin Award,' and, while a lot less lethal, a fair bit more embarrassing.

Since that time, with the exception of the current presumption of slightly decreased aggregate output on the Super Lemon Haze, and the little bit of tantrum-throwing by the Ghost Train Haze #1, the overall quality seems to be, or appears to be, or I'm hoping (with some amount of cause) -is-... pretty stellar.

I'll tuck your link and info into my back pocket for future use, though.

Thanks.

Time to track down a joint of older Ghost Train Haze #1 from the freezer stash, then get to shoveling the D1 road-mix I just hauled load #2 of into the driveway.

Seems I get active in the Fall; Winter coming, and all of that, tends to have me kicking myself in the ass a bit harder.

Thanks again.

M

moose eater

Took some more pics a couple days ago. Busy at the moment, so don't have time to upload them and post, but the SLH is nearly all clipped. Slower drying, and longer drying time, due to the oil content. by the time I smoked a third of a test joint with another person, the 'mouth end' of the doobie was oiled up almost to the point of being problematic.

This last round was minimally fertilized with the guano teas I'd referenced earlier. It clearly had sufficient nutes in the pots (Classic 2000) to -mostly- carry her through, with limited boosts, to include a minor amount of amino acids, yucca extract, enzymes (Hygrozyme in small amount x's 1) and the couple doses of Bio-Ag FulPower; otherwise it was just organics in the soilless mix, etc.

She may not set a record for aggregate production this time around, but she didn't do too shabbily in that department, either. Good quality smoke (though it can be further improved as I approach the final tuning of the mix), nice oil content, though that can possibly come up just a hair, too. Taste is initially very good, though the concentration of oils, coupled with the fast-cure of the first test bud(s), made for less than optimal outcome (there'll be time to let her cure better in the near future).

Nicely potent, this time around.

All in all, I'd give her a solid 8 to 8.5 this go-'round. "(She) had a nice beat, and I could dance to (her)."..

Pics to follow soon....

Wood cutting, tree falling, freezer pack-cleaning and freezing, trimming the remaining weed, firewood limbing, bucking, transport, & stacking, and making a dry rub for the smoker for the upcoming baby back ribs and pork butt roast all need to get done today...

Then ready the nets and gear for my record-late trip to Chitina for dip-netting straggler red salmon, the more-likely-to-be-present coho/silver salmon, perhaps a brief encounter with a lost and disoriented uber-late king salmon, and the steelhead run that will, by law, require any steelhead to be set free; not allowed to net and retain steelhead.

Cooler nights and days means that I can sit the covered, salmon-smoking brine buckets out in the enclosed back porch, and have the solution stay sufficiently cold, as well as when I 'glaze' the fillets after brining, they can sit in the unlit, cool smoker, relatively protected from bugs in the more open air, while they glaze on stainless steel oven racks in the smoker, until they have a wax-like appearance to the surface, and feel firm to the touch. After which we'll need to cut and peel some freshly-felled green alder, cutting the peeled alder into lengths to fit my walk-in fish smoker's Canadian, tin, air-tight wood stove.

Fall time; no rest for the wicked.

M

moose eater

No telephoto or wide-angle lens yet for my family member's phone camera; they moved and much is still packed, yet to be found.

Pics were taken 3-4 days ago, maybe a day more than that.

All of the SLH is now cut, trimmed, and drying. The CI and GTH#1 are coming up fast behind, still with numerous white pistils waiting to be retracted into bracts, but the trichomes on the latter 2 varieties are turning from clear to off-clear, translucent, so she's getting ready for the final-final.

In that I'm still unable (apparently) to post pics that enlarge upon contact with the cursor, the link to the album containing these pics, and where the pics may be viewed in larger format, is here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=81149

Super Lemon Haze, trimmed test bud

California Indica, getting ready for her big day, but lounging in the mean-time..

A mildly disgruntled Ghost Train Haze #1, still cussing quietly under her breath about the current mix, but prepping for her moment in the sun.. soon to come.

M

moose eater

New (better?) source of volcanic pumice is more uniform, finer in size, and with less dust in the bag.

Headed into prepping for the salmon-netting trip, and need to complete 5-6 batches of the modified mix from earlier in August, yet to be tested.

Test bud of the SLH is WAY more stony than usual, but notably heavier buzz in the later effects; did 5 tokes yesterday (2 more than average testing protocol) and took a bucket of compost out to the compost bin, beyond the barn. Felt like walking through a long city block while better than half-drunk. Made the event into more work than normal. A good thing?? Whoa....

Clipped a medium size test cola of the CI and a smaller test bud of the GTH#1 this A.M. Should be able to partake of them when I get back from Chitina, assuming I make it that far.

Doc's appointment tomorrow morning. Doubt it'll be any sort of 'moment of truth,' considering the speed with which modern corporate medicine moves these days. More likely it will be the beginning of a series of 'go here,' then 'go there', etc., until most patients might well reach a point of saying "Screw it. I'm staying home, and waiting for my body to feed the worms and be properly composted."

On to chores, and prepping for da' ribba'.