What's new

My organic grow

D

daylighting

Hey guys,

Growing again after several years off, and I'm growing indoors this time! I'm going as organic as possible for this grow:

For nitrogen, chicken manure and earthworm castings
For phosphorous, Indonesian bat guano
For potassium, kelp and just a touch of high P chem fertilizer with trace elements if needed.

How does that sound?

Blue Socks

I know it's not organic if you're using chem fertilizers. The rest sounds good. You probably can just use the kelp meal for K and be good.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wouldnt want to use chicken manure in a container mix ~unless it was huge containers

and i wouldnt want to use manure inside

& that point about chem ferts ~basically it aint organic no more once you apply one chem thing {couldnt get it certified and shouldnt call it 'organic' ~might work though}

D

daylighting

I agree 100% about the chem fertilizer, but I needed a source of K and the kelp I'm using doesn't have N-P-K figures. :(

As for the manure, I use a very small amount as a top dressing and water through and have noticed explosive growth with it; since this is a small grow, I don't think it will be too odorific, but I haven't used it indoors before!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah; "the K conundrum" ~lots of folks using potassium silicate as a foliar

sul-po-mag in the soil is probably a better choice yet {remaining organic}

there are people having success w/ neem/kelp/crab/gypsum along w/ basalt dust and/or glacier dust & this relies heavily on quality humus w/ some assistance from the enzymes in a barley sprout rinse

i guess its not really a conundrum

GL w/ your grow BTW

D

daylighting

Thanks! Unfortunately being where I am in the world, getting more 'exotic' organics means paying hefty shipping fees from the US. I am trying to make do with what I can get locally.

I've never heard of a barley sprout rinse to get things going...looks like I need to do some reading!

As for basalt dust, I could just use some outdoor dirt since it's the parent rock here. :)

B

BugJar

there is acacian kelp that is high k and very soluble so you can feed with it later

W89

Veteran
why would you not use chicken manure pellets? I use them they are n-4 p-2.5 k-2.5.. should have lots of calcium too as chickens eat it for hardening their eggss... id rather use that that bat shit as its lots cheaper and an all round nutrient

D

daylighting

I actually plan on using both! I'll harvest some good, clean dirt when I can; easier said than done in the city!

W89

Veteran
yeah same problem this end mate although I have got some farmers fields and some wooded areas around this way too

D

daylighting

Lots of woods here too; I'll dig some up! Thanks xmobotx, looks like the solution was under my nose (or feet) all along!

I'm a little confused. 'Dirt' and Basalt rock dust are not the same.

Daylighting- Have you read any of the ROLS thread? FTI's Potting Soil 101? Or a very short summary of the ROLS thread I made a day or two ago?

Can you make a list of OG amendments that are available to you? Or a list of things that are difficult for you to source?

D

daylighting

Our soil here is volcanic, meaning it is basalt or granite-based and there's lots of bare rock (and dust) everywhere due to erosion!

Everything is hard to get here (aside from chems). I prefer not to use blood and bone meal, which is cheap and readily available, but I can get high P guano as far as organics go. That's pretty much it! EWC and chicken manure require a two-hour-trip (each way).

I'll check out your ROLS thread. I read xmobotx' thread in his sig yesterday; interesting reading!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah i came on here thinking i knew something and people taught me stuff and i found out i was just getting started {probably still am} that progression is there to be seen somewhat in that thread

~

D

daylighting

You're quite the organics guru now buddy. :) I definitely have tons to learn, but sourcing materials I want to play with is tricky here.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
idk about that but it seems to me like keeping your sourcing local is to be admired & a simple mix is likely a best choice

i still mess around using the amendments i have but as they run out i want to get to just neem; kelp; crab; gypsum & maybe fish bone meal in my peat/EWC/pumice mix

D

daylighting

The crabmeal and fish bones are doable locally (I live by the ocean); neem, not so much and definitely not gypsum. :(

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
are you sure? i mean idk where you are but drywall is gypsum {i have thought about breaking up scrap drywall for it but its cheap} and as agricultural gypsum is available here in just about every hardware store and grow shop/seed-pet store