What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Odyssey - my quest from start to finish

G

yeah i was checking out lowryders, but decided to go with northern lights instead.

ok it seems my light leaks were fixed about 99%.

i ended up gutting out all my previous attempts and putting a silver emergency blanket in the cab, wrapping it from door to door, covering the gaps. then there is excess so i tape it across one door before closing the other.

some light escapes, but i put my mind at ease in regards to this by getting a lock for the door. (i have a family member over a few days of the week to take the dog out) and my girlfriend is over all the time, so now no one is going in there, and its not bright enough to light the room at night.

just checking temps now, will give it about half an hour to see what it stabilizes at. I will end up cutting holes in the cieling for exhaust and in the floor for intake, but curious what temps are w/o them in the meantime. also that will bring all new light leaks into the situation so kinda dreading it.

G

hey man thanks for the interest! yeah i put a hole in the top and one in the top right side for exhaust, however no fan yet to pull air thru it. i also have a hole in the bottom to suck bottom air up. I just need some fans and piping that fit. holes are a bit under 2"

i tried the heats with just the holes acting passive exhaust, but nada, temps got up to 100 in there. it's like a well insulated slow cooker hehe. even with the big fan moving air, not enuff is exiting the cab.

i generally work on the cab during the week tho, so we'll see what happens next week:)

The Budfather

alright man well, now all you gotta do is grab an a80 cfm computer fan from radioshack and a 12v ac/dc adapter. that total shouuld be like 35 bux, you really wanna make sure its set up well no half assed things while growing pot!

G

ok cash for a pack of masterlows left today 11/1/6

Decided to wait till I move to start growing, however I might run a couple masterlows in the meantime. Thanks to all that suggested it.

G

looks good so far....keep the updates coming...soon you will need to try your hand at cloning...bypassing those males since you have limited space...stay safe and some Acapulco gold while you wait...

G

thanks for stopping by :)

seedbay updated to list my seeds as having been sent 11/7/6

I hope they dont give me more durban poison x skunk seeds as freebies, although this cross sounds utterly amazing all the people are listing terrible results with the seeds turning out huge %'s of males or not germinating at all. I am attempting to pop 3 beans now, and one is already sending periscope up! I will plan on doing this big girl outside in a guerilla location.

cant wait for those masterlows. I got some herb at home now, some overpriced sensimilla with a wonderful minty scent. gonna try to stretch it till these ladies finish up. it's a royal pita getting smoke.

edit- i just wanted to add, the freebie durban poison x skunk #1 beans i received have cracked, 3 of 3. so i just wanted to throw in some praise to offset some of the bad reports about these beans. from here on out if anything happens its my fault. also these beans seem very nice, i love the idea of this cross so even if i just get males i will be happy, since i will be saving the pollen. a cross of this and masterlows sounds pretty cool if i only get males off the dp x skunks.

Last edited:
G

11/14/06 update time, it's been 7 days since the last one :woohoo:

These are my Sam the Skunkmans Durban poison x skunk #1 freebies from the seedboutique order. They were put in water 11/5/06, and were showing taproots 48 hours later. They were then put into a mix of half and half miracle grow moisture control and perlite. They just were transplanted today from their small sprout pots into 1 gallon pots, with the same soil mixture, being fed bottled water. I don't plan on giving nutes at all, the miracle grow says it's good for 3 months, they should be done then, but of course I'll let the plant tell me what it wants. It's not in the pics, but in addition to the 2 CFL's I have two 2-foot cool white tubes from walmart running down the sides for added wattage in there. I forget what the tubes deliver, but I think around 40 watts each, so this is up to about 120-160 (depending on how right i am, i will double check at walmart next time what their rated for) bringing the plants to a 40-60 watt per square foot, which according to the growfaq is acceptable.

welp, wish me luck fellas! I'm gonna veg till i get 3 nodes I think then flip over. my plants are working on the second set of true leaves now, do you think it will reach 3 nodes within the next week or 2?

to recap:

seed in water 11/5
seed in small cup 11/7
seed in 1 gal pot 11/14

peace guys! :wave:

G

i spent the day rewiring a lowes 150w hps security floodlight into a remote ballast setup. works fine, I just need to get a project workbox from radio shack (mine didnt have one, theirs were all too small) maybe thats an old number tho i will check.

well plants will continue vegging under flouros, they are doing real well. my girlfriend is over so i cant work on the light more tonight, will pickup where i left off tomorrow. I drilled 4 holes into the floodlight and attached aircraft cabling so i can secure it to the ceiling, there were no points to secure chains anywhere prior. I like the whole insulated glass shielded light, i would like to keep the box but heat will be a concern, i might need to drill a bunch of holes into the enclosure, or see if my 3/4" circle saw will go thru that metal then I can make some big holes and hopefully run some cooling thru it.

well i'm out for the night, just wanted to update my diary.

grilledcheese

hey hierloom, nice little grow you got going. i used to use the same size cab and i remember 150 watt was pretty good for that size give you 50 watts per sqft. ill try and find some pics from the 150 watt grow i had.
:joint:

G

Mini update, just writing to say I have my remotely ballasted 150w hps installed and running. Plants are coming along nicely.

in the pic you can see 2 durban poison x skunk 1's i got as a freebie. Fans are set to run nonstop, the ballast is hooked to an intermatic digital HD timer, running an 18/6 rotation (down from 24/7)

well, I am totally excited :woohoo:

after seeing pics of Farmer Johns grows, I now have a goal to work up to.

So, its been 2 months since i joined, I joined for the sole reason if making myself self sufficient. I do believe I have now achieved that goal.

How my small personal use cabinet could be considered illegal by any government that claims to be "free" is beyond my imagination.

well take care, i just wanted to update my system, gonna stick to the weeklies now.

edit: i'm a bonehead. got so excited i forgot to post pics.

11pm, lights are on and running well I'm starting to get concerned that my lamp is too close to my plants, it's about 8 inches from the canopy.

on the good news, my Dream Goddess (Godbud x Dreamweaver) has sent it's periscope up. Will let it veg for a couple weeks, it will go into 12/12 the same time as the DP X Skunk 1.

The dream goddess was given a 8 hour soak and then into soil, popped 4 days later. A masterlow wasnt given any soak and still hasnt put it's head above soil. (dont mind this comment, these are references to myself if I forget how long various germ methods take)

Last edited:
G

Another great week of growth. It seems to be growing slower than some people pumping the nutes, but not extremely so especially once you take into account that it is like 90+% sativa. Since everything is progressing the same as the last update, instead of my typical style update I'd just like to post some pics of the same plant as it went thru its progression of growth.

Veg Day 0 (11/5/6): Durban Poison X Skunk #1 Seed in water
(no pic)

Veg Day 2 (11/7/6):

Veg Day 9(11/14/6):

Veg Day 16(11/21/6):

Veg Day 23, Flower Day 1(11/28/06)

How would you rate my growth? Is it proceeding at an appreciably fast rate for soil?

take care guys! :wave:

Last edited:
G

Veg: 23 - Flower: 1

Veg: 23 - Flower: 1

Today is day 1 of 12/12 for the SADP x S1. I am vegging the main plants (started from seed), but took a clone of each JIC one turns out exceptional. They are getting stinky. STINKY! So far you can only smell it when you go into the bedroom so I haven't bothered using my odor control yet (the charcoal is rated for a month at 24/7 use) I am waiting for it to smell outside the room door before I start using them.

My masterlow is the cutest little thing ever. It is like a real pot plant, only smaller LOL! So cute. I have it under flouros (my original lighting setup) doing 24/7 with the clones and a Dream Goddess which is coming along well, but still too young to take cuttings from (only a week and a half old or thereabouts)

Well, it's all coming along nicely, lights on are on in a couple hours so I can snap some pics then.

Oh btw, one of my SADP x S1 has been showing preflowers for about a week now, how's that for fast? (2 weeks veg growth and showing sex). The parts are so small I cant tell if it'll be a pear or a ball without magnification and i cant get my camera to focus on it so i cant zoom it huge for a closeup look.

Well I will edit in some pictures in a few, peace guys!
I over fertilized, I know, letting the plants get rid of excess, not flushing. Been 3 days since the booboo, they'll be fine.

this pic below had preflowers for like a week now, and seems a bit more sativa than the above pics, those leaves are a bit fatter. it's a female right?

Group Photo

13817PICT0276.JPG

Last edited:
G

Is it just me or are these nearly 100% sativa plants showing marked indica influence? The 2 large ones are the SADP x S1 so they're up around 90% really of sativa, the little one front to the right is 100% indica and they seem to have the same fat leaves.

Anyone grow out the SADP x S1 and get some indica phenos?

kinfolk

i got to hand it to you man . you got everything i want . my hps looks more powerful then yours . maybe because mines made for growing weed and yours for something else . but it looks like its working fine . i c you shop at wallmart . i can tell by the thenomerter you have .

G

kinfolk said:
i got to hand it to you man . you got everything i want . my hps looks more powerful then yours . maybe because mines made for growing weed and yours for something else . but it looks like its working fine . i c you shop at wallmart . i can tell by the thenomerter you have .

thanks man :)

150 watts 16000 lumens, pretty standard. Maybe it looks less bright because I have started to take pictures correctly and compensate for the red light in the lamp.

well not much to update other then I took clones and stuff and was having a beast of a time working out their needs in the main cab, so i went and built a stealth tub like is seen in the micro grow forums for my clones, and moms.

update on Masterlow, i'm starting to wonder if I should rename it MasterSlow lol. Well its still cute, just been a sprout for a week or so, likely it's working on its root structure and will explode next week. we shall see.

anyhow, I have been examining my big plants, and i am pretty sure i have 1 boy and 1 girl, which is perfect cause I want seeds.

I hope i dont have hermie durbans, i'd like solid genetics, but i plan on crossing a SADP x S1 to my Dream Goddess, that'd make some pretty fantastic kids I think. My math is horrible but if I crossed the 2 i'd be at about 60% indica 40% sativa right?

:wave:

G

update, plants are stretching like crazy, about an inch or more a day. female is now 16 inches, and the male that was shorter prior to flowering now has ballsacks all over it and is taller than the female. I keep the light about 5 inches above the canopy, was a bit too low and a bit too dry the other day and 1 leaf in the fan leaf group got scorched, but the plants are totally fine.

the female still hasn't shown sex definitively, i'm just guessing it's a female based on the tiny preflowers that are connected to the main stalk and the fact it is moving so much slower than the male which is so obviously a male. I'm just waiting for some white hair before I give it the seal of approval :)

Gonna let the male pollinate my female. I have no thc tolerance so it wont matter. Anyhow the male will pollinate the first set of buds, then be removed from the box, so all consecutive buds will be sensimilla with a few mix ups I'm sure lol, but i don't mind.

I have a dream goddess vegging in a tuppergrow with the clones, I will be polinating her with this boy DP x S1 also from stored pollen. I will be moving soon so I want to do a quick grow, replenish seeds, break everything down and move. Then when I arrive at my next home there will be 0 indicators of a grow, including no seeds incoming hehe, so i basically just really want to establish genetics here as well as get a few buds, then break it all down and storage it.

My big boy:

My It-Better-Be-A-Girl:

Group shot:

Last edited:
G

mini update. I have confirmed white hairs on my girl. I am at 12/12 day 10. The boy already has balls all over the place, I am waiting for the first flower to open, then I will cut him at root level and hang him in the closet inside a plastic bag. He should continue to flower long enough to release the current crop of pollen right?

I expect the first flower to polinate everything in the cab, then when he is pulled the amount of seed should drop off. I still want more seeds though.

Quite a few people report problems with SADP x S1, but I have had extremely positive results so far. Very hardy, fast growing, newbie friendly. And I especially like the boys trait of such insanely early flowering, I hope his progeny will carry it. Oh, and he's not too shabby on the THC level either, I smoked a bud tip of his and it got me pretty comfy :)

I plan on storing his early flowering pollen for my dream goddess, now that should be some amazing genetics! :joint:

G

p.s. i saw many posts on how to collect pollen, all i did was trim off all the leaves on my boy, bent it out so it was horizontal to a smooth collection surface, and i have it in the grow room (which is dark 24/7) I am filling up a 2"x3" bag of pollen using this technique with none of the hassle expressed in other posts. Every day I collect about half a teaspoon. :confused: whatever works for ya i guess.

Last edited: