What's new

My new grow box... Suggestions?

gdbud

Your solution for the door looks good. At least you don't have the post in the way of maintaining your plants.
Lights are you going with HID or CF or Florescent?

gdbud

One thing to think about is that an HID light gives out more light from the sides of the bulb not the front or back of the bulb, So it is best to orientate the bulb so that length of the bulb is running in the same direction as the shortest dimension of the space.

|............... | L |............. |
|............... | B |............. |
|_____________________|

I think you understand?

Last edited:

afroman25

It's called Kullen from IKEA. That's all I remember. The thing is perfect. It only cost 150 bucks too. It's the cheapest wardrobe they have at IKEA. I built myself a little NGB box from the schematic I posted at the beginning, then I remembered a wardrobe I had bought from IKEA at one of my past apartments, the rest is history. Now I'm almost ready with this one. I'll keep you all posted on how it's coming along. Stay Tuned

@afroman- I hope that helps you out. This wardrobe takes al the hard work out of it, which I like... :)

Thanks for the info. I had been looking at the NGB cabinet but building one from scratch seemed like a pain. I'm gonna go to Ikea this weekend hopefully they have one thanks

afroman25

I think that one has been discontinued. Last few time I've been at Ikea it has not been on the showroom floor, But they have had them in the stock area, center area where you can't miss it. Portland, OR store. (shoot I gave my location away :whistling:)
If you have an Ikea near you go take a look.

They still have it at my local Ikea I called

J Budman

@gdbud- I actually don't know what that means man. I know what cfl is but the rest I don't know. I got T8 shop lights from home depot. They only had soft white bulbs so I got those for now. i think they might just be floros. Here's some pics of the light setup. Let me know what you think...

The first is the ceiling in the Mom/Clone chamber.
Second is the flower chamber

The third is my "CFL Batwing" and I am wondering what the best place to put it would be... Anyone???

@afroman- That's awesome man! good luck, keep me posted on the build/grow man and stay tuned...

Attachments

• Mom Cab.jpg
    Mom Cab.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Flower Cab.jpg
    Flower Cab.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9
  • CFL Batwing.jpg
    CFL Batwing.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 5

bengie187

One thing to think about is that an HID light gives out more light from the sides of the bulb not the front or back of the bulb, So it is best to orientate the bulb so that length of the bulb is running in the same direction as the shortest dimension of the space.

|............... | L |............. |
|............... | B |............. |
|_____________________|

I think you understand?

You learn something new every day......thanks man........Btw nice choice on the cab.....good luck

gdbud

Did you not get the memo! All of IC members got to gather for a ski trip at Washington DC yesterday.
That light in your bloom cabinet is a HID (High intensity discourage) light also know as a mh or hps light
For floros the soft white 3000K to 3500K light spectrum are good for flowering although the warm white at 2700K light spectrum would be better, But the soft white are a good choice to.
For the mother plants and for Veg stage you should have a light more in the blue spectrum like the Daylight bulb 5000K - 6500K light spectrum.
It should say on the box the light spectrum number 6500K.

But the lighting set up in the box should work just fine for you.

I see no ventilation in your box yet!
I recommended that you read Ventilation 101 Its long but a must read for anyone building a cabinet.

J Budman

Shit I can't believe I missed the ski trip! I'll catch you on the next one dick! Just kiddin. I actually installed the beginning of the ventilation today and did a little more wiring. I am going to add another of the same fans that I already have in there just for the flower cab and then one more for the mom cab. I think I'm just going to ventilate the two cabs seperately so I don't have to even worry about light leaks between the two. I'm writnig this reply from my phone so I can't post any pics, but I'll try tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks for stopping by guys. Thanks for the help. Can't wait to get this going!

@gdbud- Two of the tubes that are in the mom chamber are daylight bulbs. I'll switch the other two asap. The fan I have is a 60cfm Active Air Blower. Is that enough for the flower chamber? What about both? What are your ideas on what else I should do for ventilation? I'm runnin outta money...

J Budman

Here's some pics of the cab now. The first is it closed with all the lights and fans on. Second is what it looks like open with lights off. Third is my scrog box. Fourth is the exhaust fan. I can only upload four pics at a time. There will be two more in my next reply.

Attachments

• The Fan.jpg
    The Fan.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 7
  • My Scrog Box.jpg
    My Scrog Box.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 11
  • Cab Open.jpg
    Cab Open.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Cab Closed.jpg
    Cab Closed.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 11

J Budman

Here's a pic of my Mom Chamber. The last is of maybe a place for rooting clones? That is something I was just thinking about doing and I'm not that sure. What do you guys think??? Now I just need to get my hands on some seeds to grow my Moms or some clones to get started... Any kind souls out there in ICMag land that wanna help out a charity case??? ;)

Attachments

• Mom Chamber.jpg
    Mom Chamber.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Clone Rooting.jpg
    Clone Rooting.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 11

gdbud

looking good!
Where are your intakes?
Is the fan just dumping the air into the space above?
Are you going to be using a scrubber?

J Budman

I haven't put the intakes in yet because initially I was going to put three holes in the side of the Mom cab with two inch 90 degree elbows on them to get air in there. Then I was going to cut a 2 inch whole from the mom cab into the flower cab and run two inch pvc (painted flat black) around the back and up in between the scrog box to get air into the flower chamber. As of right now yes it is venting into the space above until I vent it out the top into a scrubber made out of a rubbermaid tote to be stealthy. I just need to know if that fan is going to be powerful enough to pull it through. I may put another one. I am also going to put some small pc fans or something inside just to keep the air moving. I started 2 silver haze, 2 train wreck, 2 blueberry, and 2 that a friend of mine just cross bred himself.

Attached is a pic of where I got the idea of how to run the pvc for venting... It's kinda small but you get the idea and mine is going to be a little different too...

Attachments

• pvc venting.jpg
    pvc venting.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 10

gdbud

what size of fan are you using?
CFM rating and discharge outlet?
3 - 2" diameter holes has less area a 1 - 3 1/2" hole.
you are going to need more intake area than that.
Have read Ventilation 101 yet?

J Budman

I have a 60cfm Active Air Blower sucking air out of the flower chamber. I was going to run all that pvc piping, but now I'm not, I changed my mind. Instead I am going to vent each room with their own fans. Thus avoiding light leaks and such. Each of the ventilation lines will meet in the "utility" part of the flower cab and then go through the same type of carbon scrubber that gdbud has. I plan on drilling 4-5 intake holes in the bottoms of each chamber. No sorry gdbud I haven't read ventilation 101 yet, I'm gonna do it now. Then I'll probably be back with another post with my final ideas to run by everyone. Thanks for all the help everyone.

gdbud

Are you back?
I just figured that you were busy reading Ventilation 101.
So how is your ventilation planing going? have you changed anything yet?

J Budman

Ya gdbud I'm gonna cut five 2 3/4" holes in the bottom of the flower cab. Just cuz that's the hole saw I have. Then put 90 degree elbows on for light traps just in case even tho they're on the bottom. Then a 2" by 5" exhaust hole in the top of the utility chamber (which I now need to light/air tight up) out into the diy carbon scrubber. I also need to get a bigger exhaust fan for the flower chamber but not until I actually flower what I have will work for now. Then I'll move the small fan into the mom/veg cab.

Latest posts

Latest posts