What's new

My Micro Grow (GHS Green-o-Matic), 188W CFL, Need Advice

DIYnewbie

Good luck with the seedling.

Have you considered hosting your pics at IC? I've read photo bucket narcs out weed pics. Don't know about image shack. IC's servers are in Holland and not subject to DHS.

I would love to, but isn't there a limit on how many i can upload?

blackosprey

saw someone said FFOF is too much for seedlings? my first time using it and the 3 nutes. planted 2 fem seeds and they are fine. in week 4 of veg today. and have 9 of 13 bag seeds that sprouted and are in their first week of veg today.

and thanks for the info on photobucket. i have all my pics up there for a few people to see. might have to look into moving those.

I have found FFoF to be too strong straight up to start my seeds in, and will probably be too strong for an auto to start in. Promix with 25% perlite added (or straight up) gives me my best seedling start. If for some reason this seed does not get going, I'd try cutting the OF to 50/50, start them off in a 16 oz cup, then in 7-10 days, do a tiered planting into the final home.

grouchy

I would suggest using white paint behind your bulbs. The black plastic will make heat and not reflect at all.

DIYnewbie

A MASSIVE CHANGE!

A MASSIVE CHANGE!

HOLD THE PHONE! ABOUT TO CHANGE IT ALL!

Well, after today's disappointing test with the cab temperatures and my desire to have a cool, efficient cab for a lot of grow, i went ahead and dropped a decent ammount of money on....

THIS!

http://www.hydrogrowled.com/Penetrator-84X-LED-Grow-Light-P78.aspx

Yes, This will be an LED grow now. WHOA! At the going rate of 20$/g this unit should pay for itself after 2 grows, and the low power draw should really help me out with the electricity as well as keep my temps LOW.

So, once it comes in, the CFL's are coming out, and the 3light bathroom bars will be re purposed into a mother/clone cab that will be built in the near future (to hold the non-auto seeds i got for free with my order)

So if anyone was interested in the performance of this brand of LED at this wattage, this will be the thread for you. Hopefully, by the time they arrive, The seedling will be in dire need of a good light. At the moment, i have a 42W CFL pointed at it just out in the open. Not like anyone will be able to tell what it is at this stage.

This way, i also see myself being able to keep the carbon filter on the 80mm fans i have on now, and not worry about , well, anything.

The piece of mind that my house won't burn down and the plants wont melt is well worth the 450 i just dropped on this fixture. I hope i can get some stunning results and feel like a champ for this purchase. Keeping my fingers crossed for an oz. at least!

Well, thats that. Light is ordered. Lord have mercy...

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am not sure that light is more than you need for that space. I have 2 of the 1st generation lights btw. If you have not checked with the seller about this I would.

If you are getting the 84x there are a 3 watt LED and a 1 watt LED type listed. They are quite different. The 1 watt might be ok for your area.

DIYnewbie

I am not sure that light is more than you need for that space. I have 2 of the 1st generation lights btw. If you have not checked with the seller about this I would.

If you are getting the 84x there are a 3 watt LED and a 1 watt LED type listed. They are quite different. The 1 watt might be ok for your area.

My area is just under the 2' x 2' coverage area is says it is good for.
I got the 1w LED version, not wanting to drop the extra 150. If this works well, I will look into getting the 126x PRO.

How do you like the 1st gen ones? They do claim that the new ones, with the lenses are 25% more effective.

All i need is to grow some nice bud and not burn down the house. And when not growing this, i can throw in some basil and parsley =)

Thanks for the input btw! Made me go and double check =)

EDIT:
After giving this some thought, i contacted the company to ask if the light i had bought would be good enough for my area, and they informed me that if i wanted, for 51$ more, i could get a slightly used 126X light. I was astonished. 33% more output for 51$!? YES! So, as it stands, this grow will be done under a 126x Penetrator X1 WITH the X2 Lenses (they threw those in at no charge). Amazing, this company is sooo helpful. Got a response to my question in 10minutes! Lets hope the light live up to the claims

Last edited:

DIYnewbie

Here is an update on how my seedling is doing. Don't worry little baby, you will be under some SERIOUS light soon enough!

DAY 3 1/2

Attachments

• IMAG0508.jpg
    IMAG0508.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 11

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Hydro used to advertise their lamps here, I think. Best wishes with the new hardware. There was/is a large LED forum here with multiple grow threads. Sleepy did a side-by-side with a 400 and an LED. I think Hazy did a few too.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 1st gen ones work just fine. I think with the 3 watt ones you need the light a foot or more off the plants. Mine I can have the plant touching the light and it is fine.

These lights are better quality than most although they cost more too. There was a falling out between the owner and some folks here but they used to be active here.

MrCopyZ

I have an LED lamp with 3w LEDs in it and the manufacturer advised me that at its closest to the top of canopy could be allowed is 12". And like 30" for seedlings.

DIYnewbie

The 1st gen ones work just fine. I think with the 3 watt ones you need the light a foot or more off the plants. Mine I can have the plant touching the light and it is fine.

These lights are better quality than most although they cost more too. There was a falling out between the owner and some folks here but they used to be active here.

I got myself the 1W version as well. So, really hoping i can have it at like 6" or so to the plant, otherwise going to have to alter the cab again. Lucky for me this strain does not get very tall, and if so, will be looking into a screen to keep if from stretching too much

DIYnewbie

Alrighty! Progress report!

I just watered it, little baby is looking nice. Have it in a spare room in the basement under a 42w CFL right now until the LED comes in (As the tracking says, Wedn Jul 25 is the day!), Should be awesome. Here is a pic of the current setup

QUESTION!
Should i top this plant? or just go for 1 main cola?

Attachments

• IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0512.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 11

DIYnewbie

Sooooo, the light bulb burnt out. And then i replaced it with the other 42w, and it did too. Crap.... Made a run to Home Depot and returned them, got a heavier gauge extension cord, Another clip on light and the same container that i have the plant in now (use it for watering, to catch the runoff.

Without further ado, here is the new setup. Ha, looks like i am a high school student hiding it from my parents. 3x26w CFL bulbs, 24/0 until the LED gets here. Sheesh, this setup does make me look like a Newbie =)

Attachments

• IMAG0513.jpg
    IMAG0513.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Latest posts