What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Mars 2 LEDs are killing my plants!

V

vuuduu

I got probs with my seedlings as well. I used the mars 2 1600w for them at distance of maybe 150 cm and they still got too much light.

Pretty damn powerful lights

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You have to be aware of the fact that the Mars2 uses 5w LEDs, those things are intense.
No wonder you fried everything up good at under 20" from the light.
You're right about the intensity, reverse square law, etc... but a Mars2 1200 is a fucking beast. I wouldn't even consider using on of these in a normal sized tent. That thin is really intense.
But it should all be no problem if you just hang it a little higher. I always kept mine at around 22"-25" and belive me the intensity is more than enough to grow fat buds.

They also have the reflector unity, using 3w LEDs. This one's more suited for tents and not as intense as the 5w LEDs.
All these LEDs are driven on lower wattages than theoretically possible( for example a 5W is driven on 2,8w or something like that).
The output of an LED doesn't have linear increase as you increase the watts it's driven at. Therefore you can get almost the same light output as if it was run at the maximum watts (it's less of course but not that much) while creating less heat when only running it at let's say 2,8W.
That's why the stated watts differ from the actual draw of the units.

have fu with yours just raise them a little until your plants have adapted. Then go back down an inch every couple days until you start seeing negative effects. Then two inches up again and you'Re set.

cheers,

c

Sxott

Update:
Since raising the lights up to almost 3 feet, the plants have rebounded. I dropped them back down to 2.5" and they are holding (very little droop) Time will tell.

I may have to order some reflector series (3 watt). My plans are to stack 2 grow areas in a 2x4 cabinet and scrog one plant each shelf. Our stupid legislators in my state is about to screw over medical in favor of recreational. Part of witch is reducing our plant count. I dont think I will have the height if I use these 5 watters.

But the thing is that they need to be able to hang with my 1000w HPS before I start converting them.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I have heard you have to up the calmag when using led's. Don't know if that info helps at all, but maybe :) glad they rebounded! I was looking into the Mars lights too.

I use the 150w rigs the full spectrum phosphor chips are rated for 1750ma but I run mine at 150w and 1500ma to increase it's efficiency and lifespan.

Latest posts

Latest posts