What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MY LITTLE SOG GOES 1000W

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
hmmm....I am beyond interested in reading your last post. I am often stuck wondering the EXACT SAME THING. I've found a TRUE 4 per sq ft SOG to be one of the best producing gardens possible.

There are new containers being made that might make 5 per sq ft a possible reality, but I have yet flowered something off in one of these micro containers, but it holds interesting possibilities. There again I have the same question....is 5 better than 4 due to over crowding issues and what not....

Continuing to be a great thread...I'm enjoying!

dank.Frank

Thanks dank.Frank, good to see people still support the good old 4 per sq/ft SOG style. High yields, quick turnover with no or minimal veg time. The thing that probably puts a lot of people off is the number of clones required. Once you get your cloning technique sorted out it's not a big problem though. I'm going to do another single cola style SOG on the next run under 1000W. Just have to work out the numbers, 36 or maybe 25?

What are those micro containers? Sounds interesting.

High Country

Veteran
looking good mate
could thin out a few fan leaves to improve light penetration i know it sounds wrong but ive seen a few threads of late on the subject and the pics speak for themselves
heres a link on defoliation for ya

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=174163

G'day Squiggles, I have read those defoliation threads for high yields and I am still not convinced. I still believe those fan leaves are the engine room of the plant, that's where the photosynthesis takes place giving the plant the energy to grow flowers, fruit, bud. I have never heard of any farmer who has gone through a hail storm which defoliated their crops say this resulted in an improved yield. I'm keeping my mind open though.

High Country

Veteran
WAKE AND BAKE PART 2

WAKE AND BAKE PART 2

hahaha - squiggles. :D i was thinking you should pay someone to russell him for you and break him in! looks like good stock! do they have eradication programs up there for those wild horses? and do you know how old the wild population there is? sorry for the side track, just find that stuff interesting :D pretty cool!

lol maybe you could grow some weed near their fav food patch and let them eat it in winter near harvest, get baked, then just tie em up and bam got yourself some horses!

These horses live in Alpine National Park. Although feral there is no eradication program. This population developed from escapees from horses used by mountain cattlemen in the high country for over a hundred or so years.

Cattle were grazed in the high country over the summer months. The mountain cattlemen built many huts which they camped in which still remain today. The cattle were not driven up in trucks, there were no roads. They were herded up by cattlemen on horses who remained there for summer.

Some horses escaped and a wild population developed. The cattle loved the alpine grasses and thrived. Salt licks were put out in places to contain the cattle in a certain area and give them the necessary supplements in their diet. There were no fences.

In about April every year the cattle were guided down to the low country before the high country was enveloped in snow for winter. Thus the story of "The Man From Snowy River" was born.

This style of farming created legends, mountain cattlemen and brumbies, the wild horses. A new tradition in Australian folklore.

In the 60's, 70's, and 80's a lot of concern was expressed about the damage cattle grazing in the high country was causing to the alpine areas. Particularly the wet bog areas of the high plains. Opposition was relentless. The environmental movement was growing.

In 2003 a massive bushfire, or wildfire to some, developed in the high country of N/E Victoria. This destroyed huge alpine areas. From that time on all cattle grazing leases were annulled by the government of the day. The grazing stopped but the tradition remains, the families remain and the wild brumbies roam the high country.

In 2006 another massive bushfire developed in high country, this time I had a camera. This bushfire was in my backyard. Scary as, never want to go through that again.

TAKEN FROM MY BACKYARD

picture.php

THINK WE'VE GOT A LITTLE PROBLEM HERE, BUSHFIRE TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL

picture.php

EMBER ATTACK, ITS RAINING FIRE

picture.php

ELVIS TO THE RESCUE

picture.php

HIGH COUNTRY N/E VICTORIA, WHERE INDICA REIGNS SUPREME

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
i'm impressed for the hard pix man, i just image the desperation of animal and nature bro, why they start ?... maybe natural for the hot season or..

High Country

Veteran
i'm impressed for the hard pix man, i just image the desperation of animal and nature bro, why they start ?... maybe natural for the hot season or..

The 2003 fire was caused by lightening strikes during a dry thunderstorm. No rain but lot's of lightening. The 2006 fire was believed to have been deliberately lit. No person has been charged or convicted to date.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
I've never seen a fire this big. It looks like it's gonna eat that little helicopter. Makes me think of hell.

High Country

Veteran
I've never seen a fire this big. It looks like it's gonna eat that little helicopter. Makes me think of hell.

That fire was very scary. The Skycrane helicopters are leased from USA during the summer bushfire season. In 2009 another bushfire, not in this area, killed 173 people.

shaunmulok

Don't drink and drive home, Smoke dope and fly hom
ICMag Donor
Veteran
great read HC....scary lookin pics

do you get into the trout fishing up there or what?

High Country

Veteran
great read HC....scary lookin pics

do you get into the trout fishing up there or what?

It was scary alright. That was the first time I have experienced an ember attack. Burning tree fern fronds were dropping out of the sky. Surreal. To evacuate or stay and defend. I chose to defend but in light of the Black Saturday fires it is something I will reconsider even though I have a pretty good fire defence system.

I go fly fishing in the rivers in summer for brown and rainbow trout. My fly fishing skills are a little bit dodgy and I tend to catch a lot of trees as well.

High Country

Veteran
WAKE AND BAKE IS OVER FOR THE TIME BEING, BACK TO GROWING

WAKE AND BAKE IS OVER FOR THE TIME BEING, BACK TO GROWING

4 weeks into 12/12, starting to smell quite nice actually. No doubt some of you have heard of DEFOLIATION FOR HIGHER YIELDS. Think I might give it a go, although I am reluctant, what the heck, I like new things to try.

Might have a break for a few days. Work is really intense at the moment. I need a rest from the internet and everything. So I'll be back on Wednesday, Thursday, days off, my weekend. I am exhausted.

I drove a Kenworth 401 today and had issues with the Eaton Road Ranger 18 speed box, something which I can usually operate in my sleep. I haven't grinded gears for years, but did today, I need a break. I just couldn't get the double declutching happening, especially changing down. I think it's called fatigue.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
jeez crazy stuff high country thanks for the info and the pics, hope the fires stay away from your place in the future and i hope you weren't too close to the happenings of black saturday, very tragic. my parents were going to a meeting in a town that day, but they cancelled last minute. turns out the building they would've had it in burned down and i think 2-3 people were killed... very lucky they didn't go. some of my friends at uni also had to bail on a subject we were doing over summer as their families houses and properties were in danger, i think one of them family members and homes tragically.

High Country

Veteran
In low range I change at about 1250 RPM, high range about 1450 RPM. At some time I realised I wasn't double declutching, just one little touch, but most of the time it went in. If I get it spot on, no clutch needed.

High Country

Veteran
jeez crazy stuff high country thanks for the info and the pics, hope the fires stay away from your place in the future and i hope you weren't too close to the happenings of black saturday, very tragic. my parents were going to a meeting in a town that day, but they cancelled last minute. turns out the building they would've had it in burned down and i think 2-3 people were killed... very lucky they didn't go. some of my friends at uni also had to bail on a subject we were doing over summer as their families houses and properties were in danger, i think one of them family members and homes tragically.

I was sitting up here in 50C heat and 100 KPH winds waiting for the place to explode. It didn't, but it did outside of Melbourne. Scary as, bushfires. 2 big ones is enough for me.

High Country

Veteran
4 1/2 WEEKS INTO 12/12

4 1/2 WEEKS INTO 12/12

Well I've had a little break for a few days. No internet, no TV, just chilling out in front of the fire away from work. Operating heavy vehicles wears me down after a while. You have to concentrate so much. Now it's back to business in the garden and back to work in a couple of days.

As I was not to happy with the light penetration in this FIM style of grow I decided to try the defoliation technique which you can read about in another thread.

BEFORE DEFOLIATION

picture.php

AFTER, NUMEROUS LEAVES REMOVED

picture.php

4 1/2 WEEKS AND THE PISTILS ARE BROWNING, TYPICAL OF THESE FAST FINISHING GIRLS

picture.php

AND TRUE TO FORM THESE LITTLE GIRLS PRODUCE PISTILS ON THE LEAVES, THEY WANT TO FLOWER EVERYWHERE

picture.php

Might be a struggle getting these to go longer than 6 weeks but I'll give it a go. Defoliation has definitely improved light penetration.

But next time I'm going back to 4 per sq/ft, single cola style, true SOG, my favourite.

High Country

Veteran
SOMETHING TO DO ON A COLD WET, RAINY DAY - SPHAGNUM MOSS CLONING

SOMETHING TO DO ON A COLD WET, RAINY DAY - SPHAGNUM MOSS CLONING

You guessed it, a few days off work, it's cold and wet, snowing in the high country. Let's see, what will I do? I know let's go cloning.

The mums needed another haircut, they grow like crazy under the 430W Son T Agro. I've given quite a few clones away from the last run in the Hiko tray and 60/40 coco/perlite mix. Out of 40 cuts 32 survived, not my normal average, usually 36 to 40 make it, oh well, shit happens. I cut the ones in the Hiko tray way to early any way. The mums needed a trim at that time and I don't like wasting cuts.

So just for something different and in the interests of horticultural research I decided to use straight sphagnum moss in a standard tray instead of the Hiko tray.

SPHAGNUM MOSS, THE CLONING MEDIUM, NO ADDITIVES

picture.php

IN THE TRAY, CLONEX, DIBBLE STICK

picture.php

THE DONORS, FAT LITTLE MUMS

picture.php

53 CLONES LATER

picture.php

AND INTO THE WARM WATER CLONER

picture.php

Misted once, I put a dome on it but left all vents open because of the water holding capabilities of sphagnum moss. Water temp at 24C. I have never cloned with sphagnum moss before so we shall see what happens, I can't see any reason why it will not work.

Have a nice day.