What's new

My ISP blockd this site and seedbay and boutique

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Perhaps someone looked at your history and thought they would block the sites at teh computer...like a parent using a security program to keep kids from certain sites.

just my two duckets

minds_I

rusto

Beast
Hello, I think i know exactly what mexilandrace is trying to say.

I have the same problem involving another website that I used to visit often.
It's not the computer, network, dns, or anything else.

I, like him, are only able to access the site through a proxy, otherwise it just says network timeout and never goes.

Also, anywhere else the site works fine. I was kinda paranoid about it too but I don't know what the deal is.

I have comcast.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
gmb said:
This doesn't really make any sense. The only way this would happen is if the laptop has one of those wireless broadband deals. Chances are, it just has a wireless card and probably regular rj45 ethernet port. This would mean that the laptop is using the same internet connection as mexilandrance's other computer(s). This is either through a router/switch or just straight from the cable/dsl modem(I'm assuming cable/dsl here). It doesn't matter what is connected. I'd be paranoid too.

Don't most people with laptops have wireless cards?

When a provider blocks a site they give a reason why the site was blocked. What he's getting is the standard site can't be found notice....

master shake

Like I said earlier, I'm having the exact same problems connecting to this site aswell as seedbay and boutique...My problem stated the same day mexi's problems did. I'm on here now through a proxy. If I'm not on a proxy and try to go to icmag.com I get this website http://guide.opendns.com/?url=www.icmag.com&servfail

this says to me the isp is blocking, there is no other explanation... The problem is consistent with different computers as well. So these mother fuckers think they can regulate and censor the internet?? Fuck em...If I could change isp i would but can;t in my current situation. And I'm not about to call up and say "hey assholes why aren't you wanting me to look at a weed growing site?"

KharmaGirl

~Resident Puck Bunny~
Veteran
That page says it isn't loading.....Sometimes the site won't load for me if it's really busy and or when they are doing maintenace or working on the upgrade (as they will be for a few weeks) and the site will go down for a bit for me.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
mexilandrace said:
I live in the middle of no where, and there is only one ISP in town, if I named it I would be telling everyone where I live.

I used to live in a town like that.

Having a nice friendly chat one day with one of the local LEOs when he accidentally let slip a comment that I didn't quite understand.

Later I realized that it was in reference to the proxy service I used to uses. The only way they would have known anything about that was if they were watching my internet traffic. Just because it's against the law, doesn't mean it isn't done.

Outright blocking though? That's just plain wrong. Probably even illegal, not that it'd be worth chasing that particular rat down an alley.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
JJScorpio said:
If you brought your fathers laptop to your house it wouldn't even be the same connection. Your dads would be running off his own wireless connection.

Yeah, if his laptop wireless connection was through his cellphone or something.
That's what you meant..... right?

Otherwise it's using the same internet connection as the PC sitting there. No difference at all to the ISP except for the MAC address of the individual machine.

rusto

Beast
I have this problem still with a different site,

none of the 3 computers are successful, even with all different browsers and a few different dns hosts.
Only works with a proxy..which leads me to believe its IP related...

reddy1

ICMag Donor
i'm going to take a stab at it and say you need a better dns service like opendns and many others out there. very reliable, safer and work much faster than your isp's dns. fyi, dns is what associates IPs with website names.

JJScorpio said:
Don't most people with laptops have wireless cards?

When a provider blocks a site they give a reason why the site was blocked. What he's getting is the standard site can't be found notice....

First off, if you don't know technology, don't give technological advice.

Secon, since there is NO set mechanism for an US based ISP blocking a site(i think it's even against the law in the US), there would be no standard page to tell you that it's gone. Plus, no ISP wants that publicity, right? So let's just go with the ol' DNS error and let dumb users think the site is down.

Also, most site takedowns leave NO explanation, like the internationally concerted Magesy network take down, and will sometimes even leave order pages up so that they can nab potential clients... like operation Web Tryp.

Just as lawless as the internet is for the good of free speech, so it is for the government agencies... unfortunately.

Thankfully, right now, we're winning, cause we hacks are the ones that MAKE the technology that law enforcement uses... haha. Kinda like back in the day when Hell's Angels shops would serve police contracts and soup them up just a lil less than their owns, hehe.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trying-to-blend said:

Secon, since there is NO set mechanism for an US based ISP blocking a site(i think it's even against the law in the US), there would be no standard page to tell you that it's gone. Plus, no ISP wants that publicity, right? So let's just go with the ol' DNS error and let dumb users think the site is down.

Also, most site takedowns leave NO explanation, like the internationally concerted Magesy network take down, and will sometimes even leave order pages up so that they can nab potential clients... like operation Web Tryp.

Just as lawless as the internet is for the good of free speech, so it is for the government agencies... unfortunately.

Thankfully, right now, we're winning, cause we hacks are the ones that MAKE the technology that law enforcement uses... haha. Kinda like back in the day when Hell's Angels shops would serve police contracts and soup them up just a lil less than their owns, hehe.

If you had even the least basic knowlege of laptops you'd know this. Here's a little something for you to study.

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/modem-cards.jsp

We have this system with our laptop and there are many others. This has a completely different address than our desk tops which has a cable modem and wireless routers.

People are paranoid enough without a few people wacking out thinking the law is tapping their internet when it is nothing more than not connecting due to overloads on systems....

cornflake

better'n coco pops any ol' day o da week
Veteran
master shake said:
(snip)

And I'm not about to call up and say "hey assholes why aren't you wanting me to look at a weed growing site?"

Thanks that just gave me the best laugh I've had in ages.

I used to do telephone tech support for an isp and we would have loved to have got a call from an irate customer saying that.

May your troubles be stepping stones toward healthiness.

cornflake

better'n coco pops any ol' day o da week
Veteran
sirgrassalot said:
So you're using a proxy, now you're thinking.

+1 to that sirgrassalot.

It should be compulsory education when you join a site like this.

JJScorpio said:

If you had even the least basic knowlege of laptops you'd know this. Here's a little something for you to study.

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/modem-cards.jsp

We have this system with our laptop and there are many others. This has a completely different address than our desk tops which has a cable modem and wireless routers.

People are paranoid enough without a few people wacking out thinking the law is tapping their internet when it is nothing more than not connecting due to overloads on systems....

what site is that you linked to? oh, yeah, it's an ATT site....

MOST computers have 802.11* WIFI cards, as in, you have a little base station in your home that broadcasts a signal that connects you to THAT particular stations connection.If you go anywhere outside the coverage area of that transmitter, no connection.

What YOU are talking about is a wireless broadband card... COMPLETELY different technology, completely different concept. It may be edge, gprs or whatever else, although today most of em are 3G. Some newer netbooks even come with em pre-installed.

So once again i must say: if you don't know technology, don't give technological advice.

REmemeber, YOUR reality is not EVERYONE's reality...

cornflake said:
+1 to that sirgrassalot.

I think we should go as far as to make a dedicated redirecting proxy, like 2600 does. Have some work related site address. "www.dailystockreports.com" and just have a proxy script with SSH, so that your company's IT department can't spy on your doings unless they actually go to to the site, but hey, it's a login window with NO registration link!

Of course, taht'd be only for subrscribers.

Hmm, perhaps i should code something up and send it to the mods....

Last edited:

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
my isp which i think is regional blocked me from torrent sites because i download over 1gb a day on avg from torrent so i call and ask wtf is going on i can't download torrents they said they limited my bandwith for all torrent things, because i was using over 50 gigabit of internet on it a month and said they limited all my suspected torrent connection to 1mbps which slowed me like to 100kbps so i cuss them about that threaten to cancel my internet and they fixed it. if your on ic lookin at a lot of bud pix then maybe they did it to limit ur usage, i dont'see them outright blocking you from a site but they lowerd me to 1mbps for torrents becase of what ports it uses so maybe that what they did for you? im not sure i would call and complain be specific its not ilegal to look at weed online even though it is illegal for me to dl gigs of torrents everyday i still do it

G

gmb

JJ: Yes, almost all laptops have wireless cards. This just connects to the wireless router of choice though and has no bearing whatsoever on the actual connection The ISP just sees the router's MAC address and that's about all.

One thing that it could be is the site(icmag, etc) blocking incoming traffic. I know..this doesn't make a whole lot of sense and I'm sure its not the case, but it's always a possibility. I still find it terribly odd that out of 3 computers, nothing could connect. Mexi - are you going through a router? I wonder if you may want to recheck those settings. I don't think you could change router settings without explicitly knowing so, but you might want to check.

NorCal: Comcast was talking about doing this. They're also the ones that has been throttling upstream traffic. Now, they're talking about limiting bandwidth to an amount that regular users won't get close to but torrent users will easily go past.

I haven't checked, but I'd be willing to bet that the IPs between icmag, sbay, and sboo probably only vary by more than a few bits, if at all. Chances are that any one of these could be blocked(if that is the case) and it is causing the others to be blocked also.

Last edited:

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
cornflake said:
+1 to that sirgrassalot.

it gaves you the same safety of a condom with a hole, while fucking a 40yo crack addicted whore....

Latest posts

Latest posts