What's new

My First Undercurrent DWC Grow

drayman86

Final Root Control System Choice

Final Root Control System Choice

After reading the great thread on preventing root system plugs in UDWC set-ups, I decided to go with a one gallon paint strainer zip-tied to the end of the pipe. The paint strainer is folded top-to-bottom and then placed over the pipe end:

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

drayman86

Got Clones?

Got Clones?

Set up way more than I needed, 8 Galactic Jack and 8 Northern Lights. I can give a few to the neighbor and start new mother plants.

IMG_2812.jpg

TheDank23

Veteran
Always take more than you need! Gives you a chance to pick the best rooted ones for your setup and give away others to friends/neighbors and what not. If ya can't pass em off then it doesn't hurt throwin a few away when you know you've got happier girls waiting.

mtntrogger

Veteran
:lurk::lurk: Great 1st thread man. I ran DWC about 8 to 10 years ago, havent heard of "undercurrent dwc til now ? I did the super simple passive system, just air pumps and an aquarium airstones , no connecting buckets or pumps , did the trick though. Look forward to more of your posts on here, keep on !

drayman86

Solving the Root Obsturction Issue

Solving the Root Obsturction Issue

As I mentioned in my first post here, that thread on solving root clogs in UDWC systems was the bomb. Here's my solution installed, one gallon paints strainers folded in half and zip-tied to the pipe as above:

IMG_2821.jpg

BCSticky

Definitely like the work you have showed it is very informative I am certainly going to follow your thread and can't wait to see the results. What is your expected grow time on strains with a system like this/ does it shorten or speed up your cycles?
BCSTICKY

drayman86

Parts List

Parts List

Got a request for a parts list. Here's what I used. Pump has 1/2" inlet and outlet. Other pumps may have other sized inlets and outlets.

UDWC Parts List

(8) Five Gallon Black Pastic Buckets. Need thick, good quality, not cheap thin mil.

(18) Uniseals to fit 1 ½” Schedule 40 PVC pipe

Twenty feet of 1 ½” PVC pipe

(4) 1 ½ PVC elbows

(1) 1 ½” PVC “T”

(1) 1 ½” PVC Reducing Bushing, 1 ½” – ½” threaded

(1) ½” MPT – ½” PVC fitting

Six feet ½” PVC pipe

(1) 18 gallon Sterlite tote.

PUMP – The pump and fittings will vary based on your particular application. Many UDWC systems use pond pumps that have at threaded FPT on the inlet and a threaded MPT on the oulet. See earlier photos in thread for an example of the connection used. See earlier post on sizing a system pump.

Bucket Hole – Any typical hole saw will work. Use a fast drill speed for a smooth edge. Remove burs and smooth hole edge w/ coarse sandpaper to ensure proper Uniseal fit.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Bucket Hole – Any typical hole saw will work. Use a fast drill speed for a smooth edge. Remove burs and smooth hole edge w/ coarse sandpaper to ensure proper Uniseal fit.
Spin that hole saw backwards for an even smoother edge.
:biggrin:

Thanks for the parts list! I'd def cut those bags back where you have the excess outside the zip tie so you have more room for roots.

drayman86

I'd def cut those bags back where you have the excess outside the zip tie so you have more room for roots.

You know, I was thinking about that, but was a'scared that I'd trim them too close and 'ef up the grab at the zip tie.

Don't think the excess bags will crowd out too much root growth....:plant grow:

drayman86

I'd def cut those bags back where you have the excess outside the zip tie so you have more room for roots.

After looking at the pic again, it appears from the pic that the bag fills the bucket. Not even close. Bag covers area around pipe slightly large than Uniseal footprint on outside of bucket. (Pic is zoomed to bottom of bucket to show detail.)

You know, I was thinking about that, but was a'scared that I'd trim them too close and 'ef up the grab at the zip tie.

Don't think the excess bags will crowd out too much root growth....:plant grow:

You will end up with pockets of nutrients and slime and such, I would def cut them back man if they're zip-tied on. Just my 2 cents from lots of DWC with lots of different DIY systems.

drayman86

You will end up with pockets of nutrients and slime and such, I would def cut them back man if they're zip-tied on. Just my 2 cents from lots of DWC with lots of different DIY systems.

OK, I'll take your advice and trim 'em back a tad. Thanks for the positive feedback!

drayman86

Clones, Day 10 (Pics Inside!)

Clones, Day 10 (Pics Inside!)

Here's the Galactic Jack clones on Day 10. The Northern Lights are just beginning to pop root buds.

IMG_2832.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts