What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first qwiso extraction. What do you think?

Armate Otro

Greetings to all

It is the first time that I try to make a qwiso and I would like to have your opinions.

I used some small buds and leaf trimming scraps. Freeze everything for 24hs.
I added the ISO, shake for a few seconds and kept it for 2 minutes in the freezer.

The resulting liquid was filtered through a coffe filter.

Then I distilled it in a pyrex source in a bain-marie until completely evaporated (30 min approx)

The appearance seems to be good but the taste is not. I do not find rich flavor. Did I do something wrong? Should I "cure" this material? The iso had several years in the bottle.

I got a pretty hard material. My intention is to smoke it in joints. Should I first heat it with a lighter and spread the joint?

I will read all the suggestions.
Thanks a lot

IMG_20220929_145504.jpg
IMG_20220929_145937.jpg
IMG_20220929_150041.jpg

IMG_20220929_162917.jpg
IMG_20220929_162719.jpg

IMG_20220930_002526.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The bad taste may be coming from chlorophyll and high temps. 😎

HEXANE. Hexane is another substance that can be used to separate chlorophyll from an alcohol extract. In this advanced method, an ethanol extract is dissolved in distilled water and then the lab-grade hexane is added to the water and then mixed and poured in a separation funnel.

Hexane is a chemical solvent that presents as a clear, odorless liquid that has a high evaporation rate and low boiling point, which makes hexane an ideal chemical for extraction. In addition to having the ideal properties for extraction hexane also produces no toxic fumes which is preferred for the safety of the user. Google

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would use a shorter first extraction and vacuum purge it for the best flavor. I would also vaporize it instead of burning it.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The bad taste may be coming from chlorophyll and high temps. 😎

HEXANE. Hexane is another substance that can be used to separate chlorophyll from an alcohol extract. In this advanced method, an ethanol extract is dissolved in distilled water and then the lab-grade hexane is added to the water and then mixed and poured in a separation funnel.

Hexane is a chemical solvent that presents as a clear, odorless liquid that has a high evaporation rate and low boiling point, which makes hexane an ideal chemical for extraction. In addition to having the ideal properties for extraction hexane also produces no toxic fumes which is preferred for the safety of the user. Google
Careful with Hexane because of the 2.5 Hexane Dione carcinogens, Consider Pentane instead.

Armate Otro

I would use a shorter first extraction and vacuum purge it for the best flavor. I would also vaporize it instead of burning it.

I don't have access to a vacuum pump to purge it :( Thanks anyway

Looks like qwiso!

Tastes like a Whopper doesn't it?
yes something like that I guess :(

goingrey

Do you mean that I exceeded the time of 2 minutes in the freezer and the evaporation temperature?
Try 15 seconds like in this old thread...

CHSAdmin

Greetings to all

It is the first time that I try to make a qwiso and I would like to have your opinions.

I used some small buds and leaf trimming scraps. Freeze everything for 24hs.
I added the ISO, shake for a few seconds and kept it for 2 minutes in the freezer.

The resulting liquid was filtered through a coffe filter.

Then I distilled it in a pyrex source in a bain-marie until completely evaporated (30 min approx)

The appearance seems to be good but the taste is not. I do not find rich flavor. Did I do something wrong? Should I "cure" this material? The iso had several years in the bottle.

I got a pretty hard material. My intention is to smoke it in joints. Should I first heat it with a lighter and spread the joint?

I will read all the suggestions.
Thanks a lot

View attachment 18763172
That looks good. I'm curious if the bad taste comes from unwanted plant material, like chlorophyll and the likes. The 24hr freeze should eliminate most fats and waxes. This leaves semi-polar compounds that can drag in the polar compounds. BTW, what was the IPA percentage? 91% or 99%? The semi-polar compounds should be frozen out like the waxes, but hey, this is analog, nothing is 100%, more like a sliding scale.

So, may I suggest something on the next oil run? Here is a simple modification of the QWISO/RSO recipe. This uses water to boil out the alcohol, so the water removes a lot of the unwanted semi-polar and polar compounds. It also removes the lighter terps so this oil is smooth enough to vape. Here's a picture of the final oil, it looks very much like yours.

Using water to boil out the alcohol, You get a cleaner resin that can be winterized in an hour. This purer resin, when re-dissolved in ethanol, starts forming waxes at room temp. Place it in the freezer for an hour and you have most of the waxes crystallized and ready to be filtered via a coffee filter. Take a look at this writeup.

Attachments

• Chrt-Rice-Oil-Number-1-img001-sm.JPG
    Chrt-Rice-Oil-Number-1-img001-sm.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 54