What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow, i.e. a crazy crash course on cannabis cultivation

N

NoSocSlic

They are looking delicious Kweku! I'm excited for you! Can't wait for the results!

Harvest Moon

Harvest Moon

Mendo Purps left, Cookies Kush right.

Ak-47

Again.

Again with some reference for size.

Jar o purps. Jar o cookies. Jar o gunz... Lovely!

-Ananse

shit still tastes like hay, curing a couple more weeks should do. :) The two "chemdawgs" produced more than the other four plants combined, maybe even 2x as much as the other four combined... the "chemdawg" broke a branch and i sampled that... really powerful head buzz... and the cookies kush, though airy and almost skeletal, packs a punch that puts me the F to sleep... So its lookin good. My second run will be top notch, I'm sure. And my third run will hopefully be commercial. :)

N

NoSocSlic

I have found that doing a dry trim instead of wet trim, there is much less hay smell. I take all the fan leaves off but leave on all the bud leaves until they're dry. I did wet trim before and always had weed that smelled like hay for a month. Dry trim I can smoke with barely a cure at all. Actually I take all fans off a week or so before harvest, and you are right, the weed will not only get better next go around but you'll have even more. Hell this one was pretty damn impressive to me man. You did a great job.

meh... thanks for the kind words but i think i barely scraped by this time. not gonna start flowereing until the ac and enviro controller are in place. :) already loving the other nute line im using instead of canna. also going big instead of many in future grows, three plants per 4x4, maybe one in each 2x2 quadrant. i've learned a lot about my preferences and how the plant grows, and definitely agree cooler is better than the excessive heat ive been battling. plans for the future are lookin good too! :) couldnt have made it through this one without yous guys! i owe it all to you!

I have found that doing a dry trim instead of wet trim, there is much less hay smell. I take all the fan leaves off but leave on all the bud leaves until they're dry. I did wet trim before and always had weed that smelled like hay for a month. Dry trim I can smoke with barely a cure at all. Actually I take all fans off a week or so before harvest, and you are right, the weed will not only get better next go around but you'll have even more. Hell this one was pretty damn impressive to me man. You did a great job.

Thats really nice of you man... we shall see if i'm impressed by the chemdawg... everything else seems to have been a disappointment.

ak47, not enough yeild, but should be good smoke. :kos:
purps... meh... no crystal no weight... needs to bee colder
grandaddy og... cant wait to try this, but not enough weight
cookies kush, good smoke good potency, no weight, o.k. :smoker:
grinspoon, took it early for space... maybe ill run it again?
chemdawgs, maybe ill be impressed there... i think they will be the most potent and plentiful :) :greenstars:

ill let you know the final weight of the decent smoke... consider the others... smokable but not sellable... i have definitely saved some money... but this has to be more sustainable! a/c here i come!

thanks again friends!
-kweku

Cannabis

Veteran
There is a hormone, called Auxin. It's the growth hormone plants make to attain the typical geometry a plant has.

You can manipulate this Auxin by trying to get all growing nodes, within a vertical 2 inches of each other, all right at the top of the canopy.

The plant's breeding depends on wind mainly so it tries to get a growing node - any node - out above the others, so it can turn OFF Auxin production in those LOWER ones, and turn ON auxin production in that top one or two or whatever spikes growing above the rest.

Thing is the plant doesn't know or care how many spikes or growing nodes, are up at the absolute top two inches of an individual plant: the talleST oneS, get to turn on auxin production full speed, and share a little of that with buds below but mostly keep that auxin to themselves.

The plant's chances of reproduction climb when one or more spikes gets above all the stuff around it and so the plant, once it detects some spikes are two inches taller than the others,

t.u.r.n.s. auxin production in those lower ones WAY down.

The best way to do it is a chunk of fence above the plants. You weave and poke, weave and poke, weave and poke, and then when it's all over, by keeping every bud you can within that two inches of absolute top vertical height, you will have many, many, many, kinda medium sized buds, and the buds all over the plant, will be tight and mature, not so cottony, not so immature.

If you sit the pots, ON a wire, then tie them down to that, thats called a reverse scrog. The screen of fence over the plants, on a frame is a SC.reen O.f G.reen or a S.C.R.O.G.

So when the chunk of fence or net or whatever is just on the ground or attached to the top of the pot by drilling a couple of holes in the rim and tying that fence chunk down,

then that's REVERSE scrog.

If you don't use any kind of fence at all, and you just drill a buncha holes in the rim of the pots, and tie the limbs down over and over, that's called low stress training.

This will really help you have to grow less wood to get flowers, it helps your heat problems cause the plants don't get so tall, and it helps you grow fewer plants, to make a certain amount of weed.

People refer to this as 'laying em down' when they tie them or reverse scrog and it makes the buds, tend to try to crawl out from the nodes they originate at, and fill the entire stem area between nodes.

It varies how much good you get out of it but it's a real good principle to understand because once you start handling the plants more you can really, REALLY see the growth turn on when layed down.

It takes the plant about two days or so, more like about 36 hours, to differentiate heights of various buds and growing nodes, and start shifting the auxin around to compensate and try to make one or two or whatever, really tall spikes so it can get pollenated.

Absolutely great thread the whole way through, I know you'll be enjoying growing your own weed as much as anybody lol , it's a real blast.

Update: about to start flowering again, so Shit should be popping real quick here.

Doin a lot better this time.

This leaf was taken from my ak47 cut, laid down on a standard 8.5x11 printer paper. this girl is currently sitting in a 3 gal smart pot using dominion organics, currently no foliars.

Coming to the end of week one in my second run ever. We got a couple ak47 in ten gallon smart pots with 8 tops each, one that was broken a Lil early in life and is just a week or two behind her sis. :) we have my space candy bagseed, four tops, a bushy (30+ tops) cookies kush, and a slim cookies kush with 7 tops, each in a 5 gallon smart pot. And to round it all out a couple of ak47 spears, one in a five gallon, and a three gallon which was in spear mode, but has been topped for comparison, to 4 total colas.

Okay here is a pic thru the window of my tent which is sealed on a dehum/ac loop shared with my other tent, SOG Mendo Purps, which is actually a chemdawg '91 SOG/manifold - I've been told it's not the legit '91, probably some cross...

Anyway, the eye candy:

Latest posts

Latest posts